Why do so many people have a hatred towards JAGS???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jags may be absolutely stunning to look at but the neuro issues are something else, they are bred for one very simple reason... Money. As stated by Jeffa, this morph is a backward slide in an already amazingly beautiful herp. Personally I am much more excited about the Albino genes than something like this.

This may be a little bit sideways from this actual debate, but has anyone actually done any research on this disorder (for want of a better term) ?
Is this problem coming from a dominant gene or is it stemming from a recessive gene where these animals are just to closely related ?
I would love to hear from anyone that has truly worked with these animals on a scientific level.
Love them or hate them, personally I don't give a rats ...... Obviously there is a problem with them, but can it really be corrected ?

This may be a little bit sideways from this actual debate, but has anyone actually done any research on this disorder (for want of a better term) ?
Is this problem coming from a dominant gene or is it stemming from a recessive gene where these animals are just to closely related ?
I would love to hear from anyone that has truly worked with these animals on a scientific level.
Love them or hate them, personally I don't give a rats ...... Obviously there is a problem with them, but can it really be corrected ?

It is coming directly from the JAG gene, melanin which is affected by the JAG gene is involved in neural development. So no it can't be corrected, the only hope would be to breed snakes more resistant to the triggers (which seems to be stress), but the potential will always be there.

On a sidenote JAGS being a codominant trait have been crossed over everything and anything possible they are most certainly not "too closely related".......

All Jags have the 'ability' to develop neuro issues, not all do by any means. I know lots of people overseas with very large collections and the number of Jags that show worrying symptoms are small. If people hate them they hate them, it's no big deal. I know of people who dislike them because they aren't truly Aussie snakes, amazing but true.

All Jags have the 'ability' to develop neuro issues, not all do by any means. I know lots of people overseas with very large collections and the number of Jags that show worrying symptoms are small. If people hate them they hate them, it's no big deal. I know of people who dislike them because they aren't truly Aussie snakes, amazing but true.

Thats really interesting
Just about every breeder and Jag owner I have ever met say that the majority of their Jags most definitely show symptoms of neuro at varying times
But I suppose there may be a difference between 'worrying symptoms' and just ordinary symptoms??

Absolutely, a very well known Jag breeding friend openly says that every Jag will display something at some stage but very few show anything remotely worrying.

Thats really interesting
Just about every breeder and Jag owner I have ever met say that the majority of their Jags most definitely show symptoms of neuro at varying times
But I suppose there may be a difference between 'worrying symptoms' and just ordinary symptoms??

as i have said previously, locality purists should encourage jags in private collections because when they escape their defective nature will prevent them contributing to the wild Morelia spilota gene pool

as i have said previously, locality purists should encourage jags in private collections because when they escape their defective nature will prevent them contributing to the wild Morelia spilota gene pool

You're kidding, right. Or maybe you saw it on Utube.....I would love to see the evidence to back up your claim

i don't like the look of jags, plus everything i said before in my first post. if you like them then good for you. to each their own, my only real concern is that breeders be honest with what they sell off, be it jag or hybrid or whatever. there seems to be such a growing desire for something new and different within the hobby i can see alot of dodgey dealings being done in the future. and for those not doing anything dodgey but have a genuine pure new morph, they will always get viewed with skeptism unless people call it what it is.

My only issue is given they've been smuggled into the country at some point and they've possibly brought in new viruses / disease (if it happened legally and bred in quarantine, with only the young entering the country, this would have been perforable) , but given all the other stuff that turns up in the country that shouldn't be here that isn't such an issue I guess.

i dont hate jags, they look amazing,....and aside from the health issues my problem is that the sibs are not identifiable and being sold to people who will breed them and sell them on as what they appear to be,...so theres no longer a guarantee that what im purchasing is actually what i want.

that being said, im also against euthenaising healthy animals while keeping the good looking ones with inbuilt problems,..so im against culling of sibs too,...

ahh, it doesnt even make sense in my head what im trying to say,...lol,...

which is why im buying my last snake this year to ensure i dont end up with tainted blood in my collection......at least i know what i have, and the next one, (which has already hatched from jag free parents) are exactly what im after,..... :)

Aahhaha dammit i thought the thread title was going to be "why is there so much hatred towards red heads"

When you know the answer get back to me haha :(
Love it!! LMAO

Not all Jags have neuro issues...

Aahhaha dammit i thought the thread title was going to be "why is there so much hatred towards red heads"

When you know the answer get back to me haha :(

well, ya know the saying 'rusty roof, dodgy garage?' :)

sorry to digress but,

so many jaded people on this forum. mind you they ALWAYS have their 2c to put in.

one of you please explain how your doing the country a favour by only pure-breeding your captive snakes?

where do you think these captive bred snakes came from? a test tube?

Why ask if you already knew?

You already knew... you clearly just wanted to vent some steam on the issue.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I personally wouldn't touch a jag with a ten foot pole... why would I when there are pure australian snakes with better patterns and zero neuro issues?

Owning a jag now, you should be prepared to take peoples opinions and accept them. If you do a search you will find MANY heated debates on the issue already. Whats more... with recent new pure morphs and a lot of peoples hard work selectively breeding beautiful reduced pattern australian animals... the jag price will go through the floor. Perhaps that is really what you are annoyed about?

i asked the question because i was interested to see what the thoughts were of the greater reptile community, although i did know the main reasons i was interested to see if there were more reasons that i did not know about.
As for being annoyed i am not at all i have nothing to be annoyed about i am just interested in seeing what other people have to say and what there opinions are.
Each person is entitled to their own opinion and no matter what you have to respect it, I respect everyone's opinion on this subject and it certainly does give you something to think about that's for sure.
I know a lot of people get angry with the question i posted but that was not my intention i was just curious to see what the greater community's opinion on the matter was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back