Why has my Diamond Python's eyes turned green?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaz67

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have a 6 year old diamond whose eyes have turned grass green in color. Is this something to be concerned about? What should I do? I don't have a vet who knows about reptiles.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Photo of her eyes

Take a picture of it and post it, people might have a better idea of what it is.
here is a photo. I have had her go through many sheds and yes her eyes get cloudy but never ever green. I have spoken to reptile vet but they have no idea. this photo doesn't really capture how green the eyes are. They are grass green and not the usual hazy look at all.

Attachments

• mandi.jpg
    mandi.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 524
That does not look healthy.

Bumping for more experienced opinions.

Does your snake have any discoloured, rough or otherwise odd scales on it's body? The only thing I have seen that comes to mind would be a fungal infection. Definitely need a higher authority for a concrete diagnosis.

What are your enclosure parameters? Humidity, temps etc?

Last edited:
Does this only happen when its going into a shed, and clear up after, or are they always like that?

Does your snake have any discoloured, rough or otherwise odd scales on it's body? The only thing I have seen that comes to mind would be a fungal infection. Definitely need a higher authority for a concrete diagnosis.

What are your enclosure parameters? Humidity, temps etc?
okay, glass tank, 4 foot by four foot. Large tank. Newspaper substrate. temp warm end around 30-32 and cool is about 24 degrees. Humidity is around 60%. I have 5 pythons and all others are healthy. This one I got as an adult from newcastle and has been sickly ever since I got her. I have had a number of reptile vets take a look and they have done xrays and extensive blood work in the past due to repeat respitatory infections. What they do think is that she was originally wild caught and her blood work shows evidence of parasites. Not treatable. They think that she has a very poor immune system and possibly pre leukemic.

I wondered about a fungal infection. She has some rough and discoloured scales on her belly that appeared over several days a week ago. I have been giving her a second daily diluted betadine bath since and it does seem to be clearing a bit. She has only come of antibiotics a month ago for a resp infection. I have consulted on two vets, one in WA and one at the National zoo and both were happy with her enclosure. Perhaps it is fungal. How the heck do I treat that.

- - - Updated - - -

No, never looked like this before

I have never seen this before. I'm just thinking, do you check skins for the eye caps? Could it possibly be something related to a retained eye cap?

It sounds like you have your answer in all of that. 60% humidity would be sufficient to encourage fungal growth. Eye issues are associated with respiratory problems, couple that with a reduced immunity it sounds like the writing is on the wall.

Last edited:
I would be keeping her away from your other healthy snakes.

I have never seen this before. I'm just thinking, do you check skins for the eye caps? Could it possibly be something related to a retained eye cap?
I always check and she was fine after her last shed. She was okay until last Sunday

- - - Updated - - -

I would be keeping her away from your other healthy snakes.
Iwork in health and so have always kept her in isloation and been very careful.

Is she going blind? Or is it just the colour changing?

Interesting... I've never seen this before.
It could be bacterial, so a course of antibiotics may help.

Interesting... I've never seen this before.
It could be bacterial, so a course of antibiotics may help.
I took a photo of her belly. Here tis. Any thoughts

Attachments

• belly.jpg
    belly.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 319
I know that looks like scale rot. I have had her with it before. I have been treating it as though it is with betadine baths. But her enclosure is very clean. I clean it once a week and it in no way explains her eyes. Scale rot doesnt turn eyes bright green etc. Rather than repeat myself, I will just direct you to read the detail from further above and get back to me with further info if u can.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

I looked at all of the thread, never seen or herd of green eyes but have had scale rot before. i suggest no water or baths just let it be dry.

Thanks. I agree. I just don't know what is going on with her though. She is really just sick all the time and always on antibiotics. If I was a newby, had no other reptiles or had unhealthy other reptiles, I would understand. The other thing is the parasite she has comes from frogs but diamond pythons don't typically seek out frogs in the wild. In addition her immune system should easily keep parasite numhers down. But instead her white blood cell count is sky high,parasite numbers high, reoccurant skin ulcers, RI etc. Now the green eyes. Her tank is kept very clean. Everything washed and treated weekly. Substrate changed after every bowel motion and I wash my hands and disinfect for handling. Temps are good and her tank a good size. I just am at my wits end. Not only is she sick. That is aweful for her. But also I cannot tell u how much i have spent on antibiotics, creams, bloodtests,xrays, swabs and vets. I have consulted vets from western aust to qld. Universities from sydney to the act. Now with this new thing, the skin and her eyes. I just no longer know what to do with her. How to get her better. I am going to ask for a script for ivermec and start injections. See if that helps the underlying infections.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back