Winter Heating For Stimsons Python.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyG

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 3 year old Stimsons Python that I have left the temperature fairly constant through the last 3 years as it was a juvi. As we're heading into winter now, is there any benefits of dropping the temperature down? The snake isn't going to used for breeding or anything and I know thats the main reason for dropping the temps in captivity, but if there is a genuine reason to do it, then I'd love to hear your advice.

If you do have some advice on saying to drop the temp, what is the optimum temperature to have through winter?

Thanks.

TommyG

As long as you have a decent temperature gradient with appropriate hides then your snake will manage that itself. My Stimmi went off food Mid April and has been hanging out in his hide at the cool end of his vivarium. Before that he would always be out cruising about at night and in the hot end hide after a feed.

I expect he will fire up once the days get longer. I still offer food every couple of weeks....and then give it to my Woma as he seems to just about run away from the mouse at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

As said above, the stimmie will cool itself if that is what it's keen on doing :). I started to cool my pair down around a month or so ago for breeding this year- but the male won't go onto the heat mat hide at all - he's been curled up on top of it instead. Female is still using it quite happily but I'm seeing them more and more in the cold side hide. Happy times!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back