Wireless Broadband

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
40gig any time of day or nite with adam internet costs us 60 per month and never drops out or has any probs i think adam mite only be a s.a internet company from what i have heard i may be wrong

telstra is a big rip off, optus had some ok deals but couldnt do internet for us where we live

Just got wireless (as of Friday) with dodo; 6gig a month for $45. it is so darn SLOW! It'll quite often just cruise along at 1kb/s, we're lucky if we even get to 20-30kb/sec! is there something wrong with this? dialup is faster! this is purely and simply downright rediculous. so much for "high speed wireless broadband"! I can get 95-100% signal and it does this!

Is there something wrong? what on early is up with this?
Read my post, unless u live in Brisbane any provider other than Bigpond will be very slow, like Dialup speed in Townsville.

I have Virgin pre-paid wireless broadband, it works great during the day but at night i get drop out after drop out.

Working in IT I have come across a few wireless connections and am constantly coming across Telstra with dreadful speed and drop outs. Just the other day I did a speedtest on a customers system, after she complained of drop outs and poor speed and it came back as 800kbps. In comparison my TPG ADSL2+ hardwired regularly gets 13,000kbps. I redid her test a second time and it came back at a whopping 96kbps. Thats less than useless.

You can be lucky or unlucky, but unlucky seems to be more common.

Faster than my cable speeds.........Out of curiosity how far approx are you from Sutherland exchange?

i have TPG adsl, had it for about a month, and im yet to use it.
we keep loosing the signal all the time, mums sent the modem back to them we got it back, we still cant get a signal. and when mum does, [she has it set up on her laptop] speeds are welll below what we got promised they would be.
pretty frustrating.

1.7km :)

That was a slow test actually. Just redid it at 15512kb/s :D

For anyone that wants to test their speed:

www.speedtest.net.

Click on the pyramid closest to your location.

Mines 9500kb/s. Looked at other isp's ADSL2 but am around 5.5kms from the exchange so not many options.

Im with telstra,the only reason is they will do deals if you have phone and the net on at the same time.Ive got adsl2 and am getting 11622 dl and 743 up we cant get adsl2+ cant even get it at Coffs Harbour which is a city.I cant wait till they do as ill be going with tpg as we are paying $100 a month for only 25 gig.

If I were you, I would cancel your plan with Optus immediately. I was with them a while back and I couldn't get connected between 7pm-10pm at night which is the exact time I wanted to be on the net. Their own technical people told me I was in a blackspot and that they could do nothing about it. Fine, so I decided to cancel the plan.

Easier said than done. It took 3.5 hrs just to get put through to the right person who could cancel the plan. I was hung up on 4 times, I was given 3 different 'direct' phone numbers only to be answered by the wrong section. I had one jerk just put his headset down and leave me hanging for 20 mins. I had another guy put me on hold after telling me he would not leave me more than a minute or 2 and he never came back and I gave up after 30 mins and hung up.

I then got sent out a $250 cancellation fee even though they couldn't provide me with a service that I had paid for. Again, took ages to get that sorted out. By this time I was fed up with Optus and decided to cancel my home phone with them. I actually took a day off work to do this, knowing how much trouble I was going to have. I went into my local Optus store and the actual Manager phoned up for me. Again, we kept being put through to the wrong section, kept being hung up on, etc. After 2.5 hours of this, I finally had enough and rang the Ombudsman. They gave me a 'direct' number to ring Optus. Got answered by a person and not a machine, and got the matter dealt with in a matter of minutes.

They are frigging hopeless!!!

I'm now with 3 and haven't had a problem with them.

i have TPG adsl, had it for about a month, and im yet to use it.
we keep loosing the signal all the time, mums sent the modem back to them we got it back, we still cant get a signal. and when mum does, [she has it set up on her laptop] speeds are welll below what we got promised they would be.
pretty frustrating.

Jessie, the 'signal' you're talking about, do you mean you have a wireless router and you have trouble with the wireless signal between the PC and the router, or do you mean the actual connection (either the DSL or PPP light on your modem)?

That far from the exchange cable is your best option. 9500 is pretty much max speed on cable, you should be happy with that.

Speed is ok............Download limits and price are not though...........Just not happy that I can't shop around as there are much better deals around.

Speed is ok............Download limits and price are not though...........Just not happy that I can't shop around as there are much better deals around.

I thought they were a lot more reasonable these days.

Have you looked at the 'Fusion' packages? $99 will give you unlimited home phone calls, including calls to ALL mobiles, along with 20gb cable broadband. Not a bad deal.

I thought they were a lot more reasonable these days.

Have you looked at the 'Fusion' packages? $99 will give you unlimited home phone calls, including calls to ALL mobiles, along with 20gb cable broadband. Not a bad deal.

You forgot the $150/gig for the first 2 gigs if you go over your Quota rather than shaping.

Jessie, the 'signal' you're talking about, do you mean you have a wireless router and you have trouble with the wireless signal between the PC and the router, or do you mean the actual connection (either the DSL or PPP light on your modem)?

the dsl signal
had a mind blank and couldnt think of what it was.
but our dsl signal keeps dropping out.

question... probably seems stupid or whatever.. but when I'm connecting with dodo wireless broadband it always says 'dialling' and its called 'dial-up' in the wireless program... is it supposed to be called this/is this right, when its supposed to be 'wireless broadband?

the dsl signal
had a mind blank and couldnt think of what it was.
but our dsl signal keeps dropping out.

You say the laptop is ok but the desktop isn't? Thats odd, because the dsl signal is independant of the PC its plugged into - you would even get a dsl signal on the modem/router without it even being plugged into the PC.

It might make sense, however, if the 2 computers are in different locations and you are plugging the modem/router into a different phone socket with each computer.

question... probably seems stupid or whatever.. but when I'm connecting with dodo wireless broadband it always says 'dialling' and its called 'dial-up' in the wireless program... is it supposed to be called this/is this right, when its supposed to be 'wireless broadband?

Technically its not 'dialing', as in phone dialing, but a lot of programs use the term 'dialing' when they are making the connection to the network. Nothing to worry about.

i JUST got a telstra wireless prepaid thumb drive, it seems pretty quick. no complaints so far. i'll be putting it's coverage to the test in the next 4 months as i travel around australia. from what i can gather telstra is the best option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back