wires course

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris1

cupcake
Reaction score
since i know so many people here are WIRES carers i thought i'd ask what the Rescue and Immediate Care course entails,..i'm booked in fro the 13th and 14th of sept and am really excited about it! :)

i want to do it but i dont have a car or licence but once i have them two ill be doing it

Hey,wheres the course at,they never have any in my area.I would love to do a course involved in animals,reptiles in particular.Cheers

i've wanted to do it for years, i called a couple of years ago but only just missed out cos they have too much to do to run courses over summer.

theres actually alot of locations where the courses are held.

the one i'm attending is epping creative centre (26 Stanley St) 1.1kms from epping station. :)

for reptiles you have to do an additional course, but this one has to be done by everyone.

i've wanted to do it for years, i called a couple of years ago but only just missed out cos they have too much to do to run courses over summer.

theres actually alot of locations where the courses are held.

the one i'm attending is epping creative centre (26 Stanley St) 1.1kms from epping station. :)

for reptiles you have to do an additional course, but this one has to be done by everyone.

How much do they charge?

I did the wires course about 6 or 7 years ago and was only in it for 18 months before I quit. My first ever call out was to an injured possum in a tree. I got him no prob and my boyfriend (now husband) and I spent the night picking maggots out of the possums injury. But then the calls started coming in for birds, birds and more birds. Which is fine when they are natives but when nearly every bird call out is for a indian minor or starling that has fallen from its nest it gets a bit ridiculous. And it's not just the animals, the humans you have to deal with....one guy calls me to report a dog has been hit by a car.....ok, so call a vet! (I told him in the nicest possible way what WIRES stood for.) It was just frustrating. I did get an echidna once that was being harrassed by a dog, that was my last call out actually.

Chris, I am also interested in doing this course, what is involved in it? Also do you think all of the spots are taken?

Hey guys,

yeah ive been a member for a few years now, and ive also done the possum and reptile course. Dino is right, you get many many many birds, but if thats yr thing, fine. But once you've done the reptile course, it gets really good. Ive been called out to all sorts of weird situations, from brown snakes in cars to lacies in dog kenels. Its worth doing trust me.

theres nothing better then rescuing and caring for an 8ft Diamond before releasing it back into the wild.

Good luck with it buddy!

Also, being called out for a "nice and colourful snake" can entail anything. It turned out to be a fake rubber snake lol

But once you've done the reptile course, it gets really good.

It would be nice if they actually ran more. I've been a member for 3 or 4 years (membership recently expired), and they have done 1 reptile course in Bargo recently and thats about it. There are a few more if you want to head up the coast, but it becomes a bit expensive when you need to be up there for a whole weekend. I'm not overly pleased. :(

Yeah I was actually signed up to do the reptile course, but then something I couldn't get out of came up on the same weekend (it was in December so it was a busy time of year) so I had to miss out and then after that I just ended up not worrying about it as I was getting married and planned on having kids right away etc etc so couldn't commit myself but I think if I ended up doing the reptile course it would have made all the difference.

I live at Campbelltown and a reptile course at Bargo would have been nice and close but the one I missed out on was held at Goulburn.
The thing that erks me is never being able to get onto anyone. I recently had an injured turtle so called the number for the wires branch I was, but no longer am, a member with.
Keep in mind I called the actual branch number. (Wollondilly)
I was on hold listening to a recording telling me 'for 'whatever' branch ring blah blah blah' then I hear 'for Wollondilly branch call ....... the number I had just called!
So I called Sydney Wildlife Rescue instead, got on to a real live person, someone came out within an hour and picked the turtle up no probs.

edit: stupid internet.

Last edited:
sorry, dont have the internet at home.

the course goes for 2 days and is only $100.

i'm sure theres gonna be some really gross stuff, and boring stuff to get thru before i get to be a reptile person,...but i think it'd be a pretty nice feeling helping animals even if i'm not that 'into them'

Rocky, i doubt all the spots are taken,....bumma ur not gonna be 18 by then! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back