Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yommy how many litres are those tubs? They look fantastic and very appealing.

Pretty sure they r 80 litre tubs and he mentioned they r of the bell's variety. I had a look at a few websites and could only find these measurements which don't match those that Brett (Yommy) gave us......

The ones I saw were Bell's 80 litre but these ones had wheels under them.

"Bell 80 Lt. Giant Underbed Rollaway Storage Container
Product Dimension (mm) W:500 H:178 L:1000"

Pretty sure they r 80 litre tubs and he mentioned they r of the bell's variety. I had a look at a few websites and could only find these measurements which don't match those that Brett (Yommy) gave us......

The ones I saw were Bell's 80 litre but these ones had wheels under them.

"Bell 80 Lt. Giant Underbed Rollaway Storage Container
Product Dimension (mm) W:500 H:178 L:1000"

No defineatley bigger than 80L. Was at a friends place yesterday who run 80l for woma's and they defineatly were a fine size for woma's.
But mine were bigger than those ones.

I found the Victorian code of practices sheet here it is:

Private Keeping of Reptiles - Department of Primary Industries

For terrestrial snakes like Woma pythons, the code appears to specify the cage's height must be no less than 25 percent of the overall length of the snake.
It appears the VIC cage height requirement for terrestrial snakes precludes the use of tubs because a 182 cm snake would require, for example, a cage height of 45 cm! Am I reading this correctly? That seems excessively tall.

Can anyone tell me if this is enforced? Does anyone use tubs like Yommy's in VIC without any code enforcement problems ?

I think they will be fine. floor area is large enough. Joys of being in QLD :)
Not sure if you knew (I am sure you would) but Queensland has a code of practice as well but it is not as in depth as the new NSW one and here is the extract about minimum enclosure sizes for pythons. To me is does not cover all sizes of snake as you could have a 1500mm woma being kept in a 200mm x 150mm x 100mm enclosure.

• Minimum standards:

• The size of an enclosure varies according to the size of the python. Hatchlings and young pythons canbe housed in plastic lunchboxes with a safely ventilated lid (no harsh wire). A small python (<50cm totallength) requires a cage at least 20cm by 15cm by 10cm.
  • Larger pythons need more space; however, these snakes are predominantly sedentary animals for mostof their lives and do not need the space that mammals or birds or more active snakes need. A python of200cm total length will require a cage with floor space at least 50cm by 100cm.
  • The height of a cage will depend upon the species. Pythons that habitually climb (e.g. carpet pythons,Morelia spilota) will need the cage to be 90cm high or more, while essentially terrestrial species like theblack-headed python, Aspidites melanocephalus, will need a cage height of 50cm.
  • If more than one python is to be kept in a cage, the floor area must be increased by 50 percent for eachadditional snake.

Last edited:
Brett aka Yommy, I sent a text to Aaron today (Snake Whisperer) and asked about the tub sizes and he reckons yours were the Bell's 80 litre ones.

For your information bud.

:D

Mate

Just got on-line on the Bells website and none of the 80l tubs look anything like the tubs in the 2 racks I own from Snakewhisper.
(Bought 1 through Solar17 loved it so much ordered one from the source. And will buy again in the fututre as required)

I am sure Aaron would use the Bells on his other sized racks and at the end of the day if he doesnt want to release what and where he sources his tubs thats his right, he runs a top quality business after all.

I am fine with it as if i want more of these tubs/racks in the future, i'll simply order and buy through snakewhispers as I can not fault this system for woma's.
Most ideal setup i have experienced. Even works for other species pic attached have my RSP in :)

Tub Demension is: 300H x 1065L x 725W

Attachments

• 13 May 13 B 001.jpg
    13 May 13 B 001.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 13 May 13 B 003.jpg
    13 May 13 B 003.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 13 May 13 B 004.jpg
    13 May 13 B 004.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 13 May 13 B 005.jpg
    13 May 13 B 005.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 13 May 13 B 006.jpg
    13 May 13 B 006.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 57
What other setups do others use? Always up for new ideas :)

Brett I've used ARS 8018 and ARS 7030 racks and Vision racks for years, and before that, conventional (front access, sliding glass doors) caging made from melamine. Since going to the ARS racks, I've had to pay strict attention to room humidity however, because humidity can be so dry here in the desert. Those ARS racks are ventilated to the extent that humidity inside the tubs can match room humidity. It's the same concern with Vision racks, they are well ventilated. I have those as well.

I like your setup, I think it is the best I've seen in Oz and it will be what I use for sure! I really like those tubs. Another thing I like about your setup is the use of finished product heating.

IMO this should be made a sticky :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back