Would you keep an animal knowing it is wild caught?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you keep a wild caught animal?

• Yes

Votes: 55 32.5%
  • No

Votes: 62 36.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 43 25.4%
  • What is it?

Votes: 9 5.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

aliveandkicking

Reaction score
Being completly honest:lol:, would you keep an animal knowing it was wild caught, not something you caught yourself but asa gift or a purchase.

****Off Licence for those that asked****

****Its just a theoretical question****

Last edited:
I certainly would. It's my Mum that doesn't think it's right. But if you think about it-they've already been taken into captivity and cant be put back so you might as well give it a good home.

There are people who "harvest" (I know need a better word but brain not on right now) legally from the wild. I have no qualms what so ever purchasing from these people as new blood in the hobby in a good thing in my opinion. I would not take an illegally wild caught animal as there is no surity to it's health. JMO.

I certainly would. It's my Mum that doesn't think it's right. But if you think about it-they've already been taken into captivity and cant be put back so you might as well give it a good home.

Fair enough but the question is how many before its too many? Wheres the line drawn?

Would it be okay if I caught Diamonds and sold them to others? How many would be acceptable? Whats good for one is good for all isnt it? What happens if say 50 people started doing it. If we only caught say 10 a year thats 500 native Diamond Pythons taken away from their natural environment and into captivity.

Depends on the circumstances. Some WC stuff is legal. Illegal WC....once it's passed through a collection or two re-release is a pretty bad choice and one of the options used to manage illegal WC animals is to euthanise them.... It's also really hard to prove that an animal you've acquired on license is in fact illegal. Makes proving a case somewhat difficult for QPWS. And I have to say I' ve lost a little faith with how they handle these things. I don't support harvesting from the wild to line pockets as is often done in these cases, but I don't support killing animals for no good reason and I definitely don't support the release of animals which have been exposed to god knows what in captive collections.

Last edited:
Going by the (annonymous) poll, alot of members have secretly stepped down off their soap boxes :lol::lol::lol:

legal or illegal wild caught is still wild caught but hey i don't care ;)

I wouldn't keep any animal off-licence - I'd be too scared of getting caught and having my babies confiscated!

Would keep on-licence WC reptiles from a reputable seller without a second thought.

Last edited:
Oops, didn't see the off license thing. Wouldn't keep anything off license, not worth it. If it's in my collection it's on my license.

The poll is flawed, given you can legally keep a wild caught animal in certain circumstances, (for example, those obtained in WA with collector permits), the answer for everyone in a day to day keeping situation has to be YES.

I did in the USA when I was a kid. It was legal. I kept a western box turtle (tortoise), banded gecko and a jackrabbit that I reared.

if the animal was injured etc then i would or if i had a licence to keep one but i wouldnt just go and pluck one out and keep it

I dont agree with just taking animals from the wild...especially illegally...but i figure, if it has already been taken into captivity, i would rather someone kept it and gave it a good home rather than chucking it back into the wild where it may not adapt again.

Probably not, because I think its a bit cruel taking an animal out of the wild instead of getting a captivly bred one that is used to captivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back