Would you keep an animal knowing it is wild caught?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you keep a wild caught animal?

• Yes

Votes: 55 32.5%
  • No

Votes: 62 36.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 43 25.4%
  • What is it?

Votes: 9 5.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah I wouldn't. And I have proven that, I had a pet turtle for 2 years, and got into reptiles. Got a license and a few bearded dragons, realized i could lose my animals, so after a few months of "wild traning" ie making him hunt for his food, and not making contact with him, I returned him back to the wild.

i do, but i am a licenced carer. so i am allowed to take sick or injured animals from the wild for rear and release. many times they can go back. but sometimes they cant. and if thats teh case, i keep them .

Even as a licenced carer, in QLD, you are still not legally allowed to 'just keep' sick and injured animals. You must apply for special dispensation and the animal may be euthanised instead. Animals that are allowed to be kept are not allowed to be bred from/with or sold on.

who hasn't caught a tadpol, frog, bluetounge, turtle, lizard, ect, ect.....and kept it, you get my point, this is where most people get there interest in this hobby. If someone is smuggling or trapping, I think this a totally different thing altogether, these people have no interest in anything but money . So yes I have keep wild caught reptiles in the past as a kid ;)

Originally Posted by zoocam
i do, but i am a licenced carer. so i am allowed to take sick or injured animals from the wild for rear and release. many times they can go back. but sometimes they cant. and if thats teh case, i keep them .

Wrasse - you are correct.
I am also a licenced carer in QLD and the licence gives the person (me) a 'privilage' to look after and care for sick and injured reptiles. These reptiles are often under the care of a vet - antibiotice being administered to the animal by the carer on advice from the vet.

When it is determined the animal is OK it is then released That is what a QLD carer's licence is about.

HOWEVER there could be circumstances that prevent the lizard / snake from being returned to the wild.
If this is the case EPA can write out the paperwork for the animal and the reason for it becoming a captive cared for snake / lizard.

zoocam -
the only way you can legally keep an injured animal is with EPA permissiom and paperwork stating the injury and reason they are being captive cared for.

Definitely not, but only because its illegal. If it was an endangered or a vulnerable species, I wouldn't like people taking them from the wild, except by expert breeders. But for most snake species, I dont believe collecting them from the wild has any detrimental impact at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back