Would you kill a cat....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you shoot a cat if it had a collar?

• Yes - I regularly go shooting/have access to equipment

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • No - I regularly go shooting/have access to equipment

Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Yes - never shot anything though

Votes: 14 19.7%
  • No - never shot anything though

Votes: 31 43.7%
  • No opinion - can't say

Votes: 3 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feral cats and dogs have almost eradicated the bilby population.Just dispose of any cats out in the wilderness, not like they are an endangered species

Same as some humans. . . But we can't just dispose of them. I believe hilter already tried that once. lol

I know of people whose dogs who will run and jump at fences to knock possums off the fence and then rip them to shreds. I know cats kill wildlife but so do dogs. If you want to be fair then shoot both.

Good call.

I am sick and tired of having to repair/euthanise blue tongue skinks and small carpet pythons due to dog attacks. :(

Good for the goose, good for the gander. Or cats and dogs in this case.

Good call.

I am sick and tired of having to repair/euthanise blue tongue skinks and small carpet pythons due to dog attacks. :(

Good for the goose, good for the gander. Or cats and dogs in this case.

I'm quite scared of dogs, people who let their dogs roam are even more irresposible in my book.
The major diference is that roaming dogs are taken away to the pound.

No need for firearms in suburbia, a bit of "Here pus pus pus" and a can of food will bring them right to the back door. Quick flick into a canvas bag and either hooked up to the CO2 bottle, hooked to the exhaust pipe of the car or taken down to the local quarry and shot. Quick and humane, id never condone cruelty to an animal unless that animal was of the Homo sapien variety. Too easy, and the collars make great ornaments in the shed....

The irresponsible cat owners ( i know theres a few responsible ones, a few...) seem to think that because a cat is a very skilled hunter, it should be allowed to kill unhindered. And they will go on about how its the owners fault and not the cats blah blah blah. That is very true, the owners should be strung up, but that doesnt mean the cats should be left to continue what they do unchecked. Its only a problem because these irresponsible people are too lazy to do what needs to be done. Personally i think you should need a license before purchasing a cat, and the premises inspected. If appropriate housing isnt provided the license isnt issued.

Krystal, your comments amaze me, god help Australia if someone with your mentality ever gets into politics.

Jordan

Yeah I agree, although not often Ive shot stray dogs in the bush, they are the same as far as Im concerned. Having lived out bush most of my adult life I've seen the devastation caused by both of them, also a feral dog is a danger to people as well.

Now there's an idea... cats found to be roaming the neighbourhood should be collected and taken to the pound. To get their cat back, the owner's should have to pay a fee. I guess that'd make them think twice about letting their cat wander the neighbourhood :lol:

Probably because cats have been there for so damn long, it just doesn't matter any more. They've integrated into the natural wildlife. Or did cats originate in the UK? I would have thought they would have been brought over by the Saxons, or perhaps the Romans.

Man doesn't so much create problems, as define them. We could simply let cats go nuts, abolish all quarantine control, and let evolution take it's course, and it wouldn't necessarily be a problem.

But we've decided we want to keep our native wildlife the way it is, for as long as possible, so having imported animals here is a problem. And the only way to fix it, is to separate those introduced species from our native wildlife, as much as possible.

Yes cats have been here longer, although we have true wild cats in scotland i dont think they originated here, They originated from africa & i believe the egyptians were the first to keep cats as they used them to control vermin.
How do you work out that man didnt create this problem ? did they swim to australia by themselves ???

I know of people whose dogs who will run and jump at fences to knock possums off the fence and then rip them to shreds. I know cats kill wildlife but so do dogs. If you want to be fair then shoot both.

Agreed.

I think the dog argument needs to be put in perspective...

Yes dogs do damage as well, but i don't think anyone will argue the point that there are a hell of a lot more cats roaming the streets than there are dogs. And a dog roaming the streets is generally taken to the pound whilst cats are pretty much left to their own devices which in itself should be changed and rangers should pick them up just like dogs..

I mean, really, of all domesticated animals why have cats been given the freedom to hunt at will???

My dad Always Shoots Feral/Stray cats On the spot If its near our House I once Saw a Little Cat with a baby bird In its mouth Did that cat Live long? I think not!

I own a Cat And really It loves my Blue'ys (dont Worry ii always Have a Eye on Him)

If im driving/walking out in the bush, and i see a feral animal ill try to destroy it.
Sometimes ill see kittens, but you can never be totally sure if they
had been dumped or not.

Ive never killed a feral dog though for some reason, maybe because they are a bit too
dangerous to tackle unless you happen to bring firearms.

I would never shoot anything in suburbia, unlike some local @#$%^
who shoots snakes in his back yard.

I say no to shooting collared cats, but yes to capturing them and either taking them to the pound or at least telling the owner why you captured their cat. If someone's cat goes missing, they don't realise that it is because it is a pest and has been captured/shot, they think "oh someone ran over my cat, I guess I'll go buy a new one!".
Problems won't be solved if the person causing the problem isn't aware of their actions.

Yeah I can't understand how anyone can justify that on a reptile forum. I hope that dog chokes on one.

Gee thanks :rolleyes:

What do you want me to do, muzzle the dog 24/7?

Do you have a dog? Does it roam free in your backyard? Maybe your dog kills birds too, or small lizards, and you just don't know about it. Perhaps everyone who owns a dog should be required to keep it in a dog run 24/7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back