Would you use sand as substrate for BHP's?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kojakshouse

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey just wondering if anyone else uses sand as a substrate for BHP's as just curious if their could be problems ?.....found it not that hard to keep clean but don't want/need problems at feed time either ...any advice ?...thanks.

Kojak

If you are going to use sand as a substrate, just make sure you take your BHP out when feeding, as you don't want your snake swallowing large amounts of sand that will stick to a defrosted rodent. I have used desert sand as a substrate in a display enclosure and it worked fine aslong as you regularly spot clean and replace the whole lot every few months.

bad idea, bhps dig alot and will create dust in the tank that will harm them.

My opinion is definitely not, I have seen snakes that have ended up looking very average after being kept on sand. It can get lodged under scales and can lead to infection, I know they live on sand in the wild but it doesn't seem to agree with them in captivity.
With the cleaner easier alternatives available I wouldn't bother.

Dont do it as it gets in there nostrels and mouth it is not good for them at all.

what boa and trueblue said

cheers,
steve........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back