WTF!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
and is only strictly speaking applied to the Diamondback Terrapin in the States.

pugsly said:
Redbacks were'nt but Black Widows are American so they probably were.

Closely related species, once thought to be subspecies but now all elevated to species level.

Lactrodectus mactans is the Black Widow, range - Nth America. Most popularly identified as being black with a red hourglass on it's underside just anterior to the spinnarets.

Lactrodectus hasseltii is the Australian Redback, so named because of the broad redstripe down the middle of it's back.

Latrodectus tridecimguttatus, the Malmignatte or 13-spotted Spider. Found in Southern Russia, Ukraine. Black with 13 pale spots over the body.

Latrodectus katipo, the Katipo. Found in New Zealand. Interestingly, the Katipo's habitat is beaches.

Latrodectus atritus, the Black Katipo, also found in NZ. Both species are endangered and the subject of management plans.

I can't talk about the variation in the non-Australian species, but I am familiar with the Redback. They come in many different colours. I've heard there are some with greenish and yellow stripes. I've seen some with white stripes. Some come with no stripes at all (i.e. all black). Others come with spots.

Many come with the red hourglass. In fact, I was looking at one today - big red stripe and the hourglass. I found one years ago with just the hourglass and, thinking it was a Black Widow, took it into the Museum to Dr Mike Gray who told me it was actually a Redback but looked like a Widow.

The reason I bring all this up is because, as far as I'm aware, there are no Black Widows in Australia, just Redback lookalikes.

Interestingly, one theory that has been suggested is that the Redback itself is introduced from some Pacific Islands, arriving here in the 1800's.

:p

Hix

there is a terrapin schizm between the States and Britian, It was what triggered the US war of independence.

firstly peter i think you'll find its spelt "schism"
and also can you clarify that for me, i was under the impression that terrapin was from from the algonquian language and mean's "a little turtle".

would be interesting to find out where you got edible from.
cheers
mark

My understanding was that the only chelonian named terrapin was the Diamondback and it was the staple diet of the locals.

well not 100% here, but 99% about the meaning of terrapin ! youre probubally right in that respect ash, they were a tribe from alaska & surrounding areas, but they wernt the only indian tribe to use the word terrapin.

the americans usually refer to terrapins as "sliders"
and ash i know the diamondback (and its other sub's) are the only marine/brackish terrapin, and yes they were good/regular sorce of food, infact i think some people still hunt & eat them today

ARE CORN SNAKE FERAL IN AUSTRALIA i HAVE NEVER SEEN THEM I AM IN CENTRAL QUEENSLAND.

Corn Snakes are not considered feral.

There have been some illegal escapees found, and rumours of a wild breeding populations, but nothing officially confirmed (that I'm aware of). If there were, they'd be classed as introduced, not feral.

And STOP YELLING!

:p

Hix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back