Yellow-faced Whip Snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newby

Reaction score
I am looking at getting a yellow faced whip snake, it would be my first snake, so I'm not really sure what size enclosure to get for it. Also any tips on feeding, temperature etc. would be appreciated. Thank you.

I would suggest getting a different snake if you are getting your first one I'm sure most will agree ...

all i can add is the same as what has already been said. not a good idea as a first snake. wouldn't know the answers to the rest of your questions. sorry!

Feeding issues aside, are there other reasons why they would not be ideal as a first snake?

They are not easy to get feeding on rodents but if you have one lined up
and it is eating well and you are licenced to keep it then it would be ok to for you.
I cut my teeth on mildly venomous elapids years before I got my first colubrids and then I got into pythons.
But that was a long time ago.
How old are you, if its not a rude question?
They are a beautiful, active snake and make a great display.
Not allergic to stings are you?

They are a ven and you cant keep them on a basic permit.
You need to keep your basic for a year. Then you need to complete a vens handlers course. ie Jono at ERD or geoff Coombe at living with wildlife. Then you need to do a first aid course..Then you need to get two people that keep vens to sign for you to say that you are compitent to keep a ven. Then you need to set yourself up with the approrpriate vivarium and equipment. Then you have to buy yourself a RRBS, because they are all you can keep for a year. Then after all of that. You can try and find someone who has them for sale and get in quick enough to buy it. Then you can have a yellow faced whipsnake..

Good luck with the maccie

They are not easy to get feeding on rodents but if you have one lined up
and it is eating well and you are licenced to keep it then it would be ok to for you.
I cut my teeth on mildly venomous elapids years before I got my first colubrids and then I got into pythons.
But that was a long time ago.
How old are you, if its not a rude question?
They are a beautiful, active snake and make a great display.
Not allergic to stings are you?

I'm 25, and no I'm not allergic to stings.

If your anything like me, the more everyone says dont, the more you are going to do it just to prove a point... I have absolutely no idea about this particular snake but being venomous I would definately take heed on the information provided....

Good luck with whatever snake you end up getting, and enjoy!!!!!!!!!

If you do happen to find some which I doubt, let me know:)

I used to keep them a long long time ago. They are very active snakes and need a good sized cage. I used to feed mine on skinks back then but I believe you should be able to get them onto pinkies. They used to fly around the cage in hot pursuit of their prey.

If its your first snake then this is definately not a good choice. They are not good to handle like some of the pythons and they can give you a reasonable bite. I've been nipped by them a few times. Initially it was just like an intense bee sting and very itchy. I was bitten a couple more times over the years and each time got progressively worse. The last time my hand was so swollen I couldn't flex my fingers, my arm was abit swollen and I could feel the venom tracking up my arm until it stopped in my armpit which was very tender for a couple of days.

Bees, wasps and ants have never really worried me but I seem to have become a bit allergic to these snakes......haven't been bitten properly by anything else since then so don't know if its just them or all snakes now.

I would really suggest getting something like one of the Childrens pythons, small and easy to maintain and amenable to some handling. Barring that if you must get something mildly venomous then perhaps something like a Swamp(marsh) snake....much slower and handles better than a whip.

my mum described a "tree snake" that slithered between here feet when she was out in the garden last week. "Thats not a tree snake mum, its a yellow faced whip snake!!!"lol. turns out it is seen all the time and isnt shy to come and check out what your doing. i havnt taken a look at it yet, but sounds pretty nice.

Thanks for all the advice guys, as much as I like the look of these snakes
I think I'd better go for something a little more user friendly. They're just so
damn cute though!

newby if you like the idea of owning a "ven" but arent ready for the elapids yet think about a bts.... they are a beautiful snake can grow a good length and give you experience in a fast moving snake ...get you ready for the more agile elapids......;).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back