Yet another feeding question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey [MENTION=34534]andynic07[/MENTION] and [MENTION=37722]Rogue5861[/MENTION] he took a 130g rat last night :) was soo funny, he kept biting it and letting it go then ignoring it like he didn't know what to do with it. Eventually I picked it up and annoyed him with it for awhile till he was mad enough to strike it lol.
So finally!!!
He still smashed it down in about 5 mins though. :)

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk

Big meals less often are better in my opinion. Doesn't keep them in a constant state of digestion.

Lol [MENTION=32210]Trimeresurus[/MENTION] oh I've been trying to bump the size up lol finally had success!

Good to hear, it's always interesting watching them get a big meal down.

Great stuff [MENTION=39504]tahnia666[/MENTION] onwards and upwards from here. It is pretty exciting seeing a snake swallow a big prey item isn't it?

It was FUNNY [MENTION=34534]andynic07[/MENTION] he still smashed it in like 5 mins though :)

7e3ysevu.jpg

This is my two year old with a 150g rat but has had a 200g on the odd occasion.

i feed hatchlings right up to sub adult hood every 7 days

adult Carpets i feed large prey every 3 weeks

i keep all my Carpets lean and muscular, i find large prey less often, is better than small prey more often

Carpets will take prey 3,4,5 times their girth without issue

cheers shaun

7e3ysevu.jpg

This is my two year old with a 150g rat but has had a 200g on the odd occasion.
Hey is that the Pink of excitement or just ya camera? [MENTION=39504]tahnia666[/MENTION]...as others have said regarding feeding...u will start to get used to knowing when and when not to feed...I gave up keeping records ages ago as u really get to know more visually as time goes bye.
Nice looking Carpet :)

Thanks [MENTION=29458]The_Geeza[/MENTION] he is lovely but that one in the picture above is andynic07 carpet :) this is mine
vu2uvamu.jpg

He doesn't do the pink thing :) I love all the carpets.... But personally I think Loki is the best ;) of course... Lol

Feeding very large meals in the height of summer, in heatwave-prone areas, is asking for trouble. Death from regurgitation is a distinct possibility (there was one member who lost two adult snakes just a couple of weeks ago for this very reason). Offering large meals needs to be done with some insight into what's appropriate. Some of the comments/suggestions in this thread are pretty dangerous for novice keepers - just because a snake can eat an enormous food item doesn't mean it should. Snakes do this in the wild because they cannot be choosy about what they eat, but killing, swallowing and digesting very large food items puts them a some risk in each phase. This thread and the encouragements offered for feeding large food items may cause inexperienced novices to experiment with extremes, and this is very dangerous for snakes.

Reasonably regular, moderate sized meals are far better and far safer for the novice keeper and his/her snake/s to manage.

Jamie

Good points there Jamie. Sometimes things like that are not said and should be for when a newbie reads the thread. I do not feed any of my snakes during a heat wave and try not to go above 25% of my snakes body weight. Yes [MENTION=29458]The_Geeza[/MENTION] the pink is a rush of blood I believe brought on by feeding in anticipation of the area being stretched by the prey.

Feeding very large meals in the height of summer, in heatwave-prone areas, is asking for trouble. Death from regurgitation is a distinct possibility (there was one member who lost two adult snakes just a couple of weeks ago for this very reason). Offering large meals needs to be done with some insight into what's appropriate. Some of the comments/suggestions in this thread are pretty dangerous for novice keepers - just because a snake can eat an enormous food item doesn't mean it should. Snakes do this in the wild because they cannot be choosy about what they eat, but killing, swallowing and digesting very large food items puts them a some risk in each phase. This thread and the encouragements offered for feeding large food items may cause inexperienced novices to experiment with extremes, and this is very dangerous for snakes.

Reasonably regular, moderate sized meals are far better and far safer for the novice keeper and his/her snake/s to manage.

Jamie

Very good advice, I actually live in Vic and am aware of the dangers of feeding and heatwaves, I have no problem feeding my snake small meals more often. My coastal is very healthy, I'm actually not as inclined to bother with bigger meals. I understand the whole mimicking nature thing but I don't tend to it, after all, nature is fairly far removed from captivity. Captive and pet snakes get regularly checked for mites and other health issues, get.wormed, get there temps and humidity kept at optimal levels all year round and have their meals not only provided for them but pre killed and defrosted :)
Not to say I disagree with any other method of feeding, cause I don't, whatever works for you and your animal.
I lost my first snake, a children's python, 20 years ago to starvation and I'm not ashamed to admit I'm permanently scarred lol.
Which is why i feel more comfortable with small frequent feeds :)
Always have, prob always will.
I wait until a few days after he craps out his previous meal, so he's not in a state of constant digestion. And I can clearly see he's a healthy guy.
Just saying, as long as your animal is healthy, whatever works :)

I've always found bigger feeds over a longer period of time 3-4 weeks healthy for the snake, so many people are only having snakes like to 12-13 years because there fed so they grow to adult size rapidly, my female is just 9 and only 7 foot long and only just had her first clutch and she's very healthy. Also I've read if you don't feed your snakes larger meals as there body grows the head size won't increase because it doesn't have the big meals causing it to stretch!! Can cause problems in older snakes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back