Yet Another Silly Substrate Question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SYNeR

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I've already read multitudes of substrate related questions on here. Alhough I've found it to become more & more confusing. I was using Breeder's Choice in my click-clack setup.

I went to a reptile vet in Newcastle who said it was a big no no due to the possibility of impaction. I have an 11 month old Stimson Python. He said he's seen plenty of snakes which have become impacted when using this and other loose substrates.

But, from what i've read on here, there are appears to be heaps of people who use Breeders Choice. Is impaction really much of an issue? The main reason I ask is because I have a new tank (I decided to get a URS enclosure and am currently assembling it), and the front of the tank is quite high up, so I figure I need a substrate of some sort to raise the bottom of the tank up so the snake is actually visible.

I thought it reassuring when I saw quite a few posts of people recommending Breeder's Choice, however became a bit disconcerted after the vet recommending against it due to impaction and having treated impacted animals. The vet's personal recommendation was to get fresh gum leaves and dry them out to use as leaf litter.

Cheers,

Mark

Anyone? :(

I guess it comes down to where the snake is fed.. Maybe on a tile or some other flat surface and NOT the Breeder's Choice and it wouldn't be a problem?

Impaction can be an issue with any loose subsrate. common sense comes into play if you choose to use it. try and make sure there is something in there to put the food onto so nothing gets stuck to the prey, but you then have the problem of things getting stuck to it as it moves around the tank trying to swallow it. I'd be rethinking a loose substrate. maybe put the enclosure a bit lower so you can see him easier.

yes feeding the snake in a tub would definitely reduce any chance that it may swallow some kitty litter substrate when feeding on a rodent. Ive also heard of all sorts of things being found in these kitty litter type products like metal staples and other foreign materials...

people use all sorts of substrates.. personally I use newspaper (or butchers paper) because its easily available and efficently changed when needed. Breeders choice and other "kitty litter" type products are designed to soak up moisture.. some people have reported shedding problems using these products as it will possibly suck any humidity out of the enclosure leaving it very dry..

Ive never had a problem with newspaper and my pythons usually shed in one complete piece without any problems.. thats my opinion.

Last edited:
iv kept nearly everything on breeders choice. never had a problem.
the adders absolutely love it ! only annoying thing this is having to spot clean & then once in a few weeks change the whole lot.

As Stimson pythons are naturally found on slate in the wild - is it OK for them to live rpedominantly on some ceramic tiles with only small areas that are dried gum leaves or newspaper or whatever the substrate may be?

Newspaper is probably(if not definaely) the most practical thing to use but its full of media hype and IMO its unethical to pay for it (i just get waste papers for free). For some snakes i use dried lawn clippings and leaf litter as substrate, its a potential fire risk if you dont use common sense and probably contains pieces of frogs and skinks, but look nice and allows the snakes to hide well in a nice insulated space.

Hi, can anyone please refer to my question above re; "is it OK for them to live predominantly on some ceramic tiles with only small areas that are dried gum leaves or newspaper or whatever the substrate may be?"

Thank you

Dried leaves or most people just use newspaper as stated using any sort of kitty litter can lead to digestion troubles so hope you have replaced it by now

AmM I not following some rule with my question? I am only new to this community and I have asked the same question twice in the same forum/thread however no one has responded to me.

I just want to know "is it OK for them to live predominantly on some ceramic tiles with only small areas that are dried gum leaves or newspaper or whatever the substrate may be?"

AmM I not following some rule with my question? I am only new to this community and I have asked the same question twice in the same forum/thread however no one has responded to me.

I just want to know "is it OK for them to live predominantly on some ceramic tiles with only small areas that are dried gum leaves or newspaper or whatever the substrate may be?"
As long as you've still got hides setup, you've checked that it doesn't effect your temperature gradient and don't mind cleaning crap of the slate there should not be any problems.
Sometimes people don't like having a thread hijacked, maybe if you find that no one is answering and you've used the search for the answer you could make a new thread. Cheers

I also often wonder how many wild snakes and lizards must die in the wild each year from eating on loose substrates

As for Breeders Choice, I don't like using it, but imo it's decent for display enclosures. Certainly beats sand....

However, if you are using BC it's always recommended that you take your snake out to feed, preferably in a tub where no loose substrate can attach to the snake's meal. Following along the same lines of Colin's post, there have been some random things I've heard people find (from staples to something that we couldn't identify because it was just a big black lump.) Also helps to establish a feeding patten for your snake. For example, being taken out of enclosure and put into a tub can reduce the occurrence of being bitten when getting your Stimmi out (if you don't use a hook) because it will slowly learn that tub = food.

I still prefer newspaper/butchers paper/paper towels above all else though.

I think you'll find more success starting your own thread instead of trying to hijack this one.....

Every substrate is fine to use if you decrease the risk of impaction. Snakes don't feed on substrate because they are bored, it gets stuck to their prey. During feeding time remove the snake and put him on something he can't accidentally swallow i.e. a table

i have been using breeders choice fors year never any implaction issues but i have have the feed get water on it and then the subtrate get stuck to the water and substrate end up on its teeth ony ever happened twice ? i held mouth open and removed thats it

For example, being taken out of enclosure and put into a tub can reduce the occurrence of being bitten when getting your Stimmi out (if you don't use a hook) because it will slowly learn that tub = food.
I am convinced that this isnt true,
i have never taken any of my snakes out of their enclosures to feed (and all have always been kept on breeders choice (or similar) substrate. i havent had a single case of impaction and NONE (except for one hatchy) are bitey ...
there was a post from someone "high-up" a while back about the whole "food/enclosure" association, and they seemed to have scientific proof that it was bollocks ...

This is my opinion, please correct me if you feel that i am wrong ... :)

I agree that it's bollocks. Snakes aren't smart enough to make that association. My monitors on the other hand come running to the door of the enclosure whenever I slide it open and bite whatever I put in there hahaha

All the snakes I've kept have responded to this method. They are put in a different tub during feeding time, and it has gotten particularly good results from a very flighty/aggressive spotted python.

I dont think it matters... if people want to take their snake out to feed it then why bother worrying if others do it :| it doesnt hurt you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back