Yet Another Silly Substrate Question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so would it be a bad idea using Aspen in my 7lt sistema tubs for my hatchie albino darwins im getting in a few weeks ?? although i do all my feeding outside cages anyways

If you do all your feeding outside the tubs, it shouldn't matter. We keep our snakes on polished river pebbles, feed them on a)the kitchen table b) the floor of the loungeroom c) in a seperate container and we've never had any problems. And I am a firm believer of the feed tub response. One of our Darwins that is completely placid everywhere else, burrs up something chronic when they're in the feed tub cause he knows that he's going to get fed.

Cheers,

melissa

Thanks a lot for the replies. Much more reassuring.
I also contacted the breeder I got my Stimmy off and they too use Breeder's Choice, making the same comment as others here - feed him outside the enclosure (which I do anyway).

I'll see how I go. Maybe even grab some gum leaves over the next few days (they should be clean thanks to the rain) and dry them out. When I used leaf litter in the click-clack, it seemed to work quite well (and it's free!), and it also helped to cover the sent of poo.

Hi, can anyone please refer to my question above re; "is it OK for them to live predominantly on some ceramic tiles with only small areas that are dried gum leaves or newspaper or whatever the substrate may be?"

Thank you

Yes thats fine. Make sure the tiles cant move in a way that could crush the snake though.

I've teased my Stimmy, picked him up etc when he's about to feed and is wrapped around a mouse, but he doesn't seem to care at all.. I've tried to provoke him a little to see if he'll bite but I think he's way too docile. I don't think feeding outside of the enclosure will be an issue.

I feed mine in his enclosure, using tongs to wiggle the mouse and doesn't seem to associate me sticking my hand in with food. Also, on the issue of impaction, I use that bark stuff as a substrate, and actually put a piece of slate in over where the heat mat is so he's got a basking spot (not that the lil bugger uses it!) and it doubles as a feeding spot.

Yep, that's how mine is set up.. 33x33cm tile with heatmat underneath. I wipe any breeders choice off the tile, section the tank off so he can't get to other areas, then feed him directly on top of the tiles.. Wait until he's finished eating, then grant him access to the rest of the enclosure. It seems to work a treat :)

The breeders choice seems a breeze to clean/scoop, but I'm thinking of looking around to see if there' anything else I can try that looks a bit nicer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back