You know you are OLD when you can remember........

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Devil

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I can remember using a SLATE in primary school

Black and white T.V. with transmission times of between 5pm and 10pm.

When $2.00 would buy about 25 litres of petrol

When cigarettes were 20 cents for a park of 10 and 40 cents for 20

When a can of coke was 15 cents

and the special day of 14th February 1966

Lots and lots of things I haven't put down so it's over to all the other oldies.......

Can anyone else remember getting milk at school?

The teachers gave it out to us kids, after it had sat in the sun for god knows how long, and we had to drink it.....gag!

I cannot stomach milk to this day!

When the shops wernt open on sunday

Yes, and you used to go with your parents to the shopping centre car park to practice your driving on Sundays because it was deserted....

When as kids we were told to go out and play as adults were talking.
Black and white tv
The bosses at work were addressed as Mr or Mrs.
We had to bundy on and off in an office.
We had a paypacket, with cash in it.
To have a Roast chicken, you had to kill it as there was no such thing as a frozen one.
Gaaawwdd I could go on and on......

Every Saturday morning I'd take my billy-cart to smithies corner shop.

I'd stop at every house I knew had no kids, put on my cute face, and get a soft drink bottle or two to put in my cart.

Then at Smities, getting 5c refund per bottle, I could buy something for mum, and one by one (must have driven Smithy mad) pick more lollies than any 10 kids could eat in a weekend...

Good on ya Devil... Is nice to remember when.

when britney spears was very popular :)
and we still had VCRS and video cassettes
im not very old but things have changed alot in a short time

Hmmmm.... I think you'll have got me on this one, Devil. But, I can remember....

Man-handling all the Bubble-o-Bills in the corner shop freezer to find the ones with double noses.

When the internet finally DID SOMETHING, and I downloaded our first ever mp3, Magic Carpet Ride by Steppenwolf :lol:

Not owning a mobile phone until I got a job and could pay for it myself

Leaving the house as a child at 9am on weekends to play with mates, usually on the mudflats, and the only rules were we had to hose off before coming inside, and be home by the time the street lights came on.

Getting in a fight at school got you an extra clap around the ear by both the principal and your father... sometimes simultaneously!

I got pocket money every other week. The amount was my current age in years. It got given to me after I had cleaned all the animals' cages and picked up the dog poo, cleaned my room, done some vacuuming, and mowed the lawn (as opposed to my stepkid getting $20 as he runs out the door every weekend, sometimes both days, having done nothing but eat and fart all weekend :rolleyes:)

I remember not having computer games to play, and having to read books to entertain ourselves, instead

Not as impressive a list, I know :D But still a vast comparison to the gens growing up now!

When parks and streets used to be full with kids, and no parents around.

And how about Christmas day when kids got outside stuff like bikes & totem tennis - and every street was full of kids.

waiting by the phone at home for it to ring with the first phonecall I ever got from my now husband......I was too afraid to leave the house unless I missed it ringing......there was no such thing as mobile phones...........

Oh!!! And staying up making mixed tapes recorded off the radio - and always getting annoyed when the idiot radio guy would speak over the first and last part of the song :D

When the shops wernt open on sunday

How long ago was this? That's how far behind WA is :) We'll be getting late weeknight trading (til 9pm) in November! You have no idea how excited we are lol

On topic: I remember playing with marbles, elastics, skipping ropes and slapbands in primary school! Also I was so excited to get my parents old tv in my bedroom when they upgraded to colour.

well i have grown up... almost.
i think life would be better if i never got into video games and tv the internet and computers, but at the same time i wouldnt give them up as there just a part of life now

I remember the milko with his horse drawn cart delivering milk twice a day.

The clothes washing copper

The hand ringer

Yes, the warm small bottle of milk at little lunch

The meat safe hanging in the laundry.

Wearing winter p.j's. and dressing gown to the picture theatre in winter

Riding our push bikes 10 miles (16k's) out to a dam just for something to do.

Getting up off the couch and walking all the way over to the TV to change channels. Only had two channels to choose from then going out of your mind when the 3rd channel started!

Walking across the road to see if you friend was home and if they weren't, staying anyway to chat to whoever was home untill you friend arrived.

Using the rotary phone to call someone and knowing their's and 20 other people numbers off by heart.

What's a "video game"?

Seeing your first video game on a Commodore 64. Waiting 10 minutes for the blooding thing to load!

Going outside right after breakfast and jumping on the trampoline until lunchtime then back on the trampoline untill dinner time.

Coming home at dusk with numb - green feet.

Mobile phone? Oh you mean those things on Star Trek?!

Eating whatever the hell you wanted

I remember no fridges we had and ice box. The ice man the baker the green grocer the garbo all had horse drawn carts. Tv wasn't in Australia yet so we had to listen to the wireless for entertainment. 20cents would buy you fish and chips for lunch and enough money left over to buy lollies after school. Being gay just meant you were happy. Cream in milk that was on the top of the bottle. The pub closed at 6pm. No such thing as seat belts and you could ride in the back of a ute while waving to the coppers. Thank god for senility the memory isn't as good there is lots I can't remember. Sorry what was the question

Well I remember being able to walk around the streets and not have to worry that it was getting dark. Late night shopping was Thursday night only and Weekend trading was Saturday lunch time only. 1 cent would buy you 2 lollies. Fred's chew bars where yummy as were white knights, spirt chewing gum, ripe raspberry icecreams, musk billabong, Being able to buy soft drink at school. The soft drink truck coming around to your house. The ice-cream van coming around in summer. Santa coming around the street in his sleigh xmas eve. My Dad delivering everyones bread and cakes to their homes. Being able to leave the garbo and posty a xmas gift. Will have to see what other jog in the memory bank.

roller skating at the Inala Skating Rink on Friday nights....we were so cool :lol:

walking an hour to school and home again, because dad had the car..and your parents wouldn't have picked you up anyway :lol:

being able to smell the starch in the air on my way home from school from all the housewives doing the ironing...and being able to hear 'Days Of Our Lives' at the same time :lol:

piling as many of your friends as you could fit into the boot when you went to the drive-in

being able to walk along the fence, because 'back then' the tops were wooden

leaving home in the morning (with a posse of your friends) and not coming home till dark

Watching Benny Hill, Flip Wilson, Looney Tunes and MASH with my dad, and thinking he would have a heart attack from laughing so much. And I never understood most of the jokes anyway....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back