You know you are OLD when you can remember........

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Calling my friends parents by their surname and not even knowing their first name. Respect was what you gave all adults. Being able to leave your home and car unlocked. Going on a family picinic with grandparents and having to sit in the back of the wagon for the day. Hot chips were wrapped in newspaper. Gold tops that you bought from the milko.

Yes Inala Skating rink they were the days and the Inala pool now that takes me back and the bath tub races at the rink

Turning 17 and riding my push bike to the police station, asking for a learners permit and being told no, I didn't need one as I had been seen driving with Dad for about 3 years. Also asked if I wanted an open or restricted motor bike licence.

Fridges ran on kero

Wood heaters used in winter

Bonfire in the street for Guy Forks night

Mum and Dad listening to Blue Hills on the radio at lunch time.

The t.v. noise keeping me awake at night when we finally got one.

trapping and selling rabbits for pocket money

The big flood of 1956

when the pub wasnt open on a sunday, well in new zealand it wasnt anyways

Half cent lollies, pacman, playing with the neighbourhood kids til dark, fish and chips wrapped in newspaper, speed skating at the rollerskating rink, watching Skippy on tv ahhhh the list could go on forever.

No phone
B+W Tv takes 5 minutes to warm up
Lounge room heated via open fire
Meals cooked via wood powered fire
Baker + Milkman delivering their goods
Dunny man coming to take yours cans of **** away. (Laughing when the rusted cans
gave out when they heaved them on their shoulders)
Learning to spell
All vegetables and fruit come fresh, from the garden
Preserving fruits and veges for winter
Washing clothes in the copper over a fire
Getting hot water from same copper and carting to bath tub

AAaaahhh!!! Those were the days : )

4 liquorice blocks for a penny
the copper was the bath.

When the milk man used to deliver bottles of milk and leave them on the frount door step
lolies 1 cent each
buying a pack of twistes for 10 cents a pack

half of the stuff you guys listed me and my family still do and have in our lives, we live in the distance past ;) seeing as my dad is 60 now we still get by not having all these new flashy things (of course i have a phone but its not a cool one) i never use the remote :D i get up and change the tv manually because when i was younger my parents couldn't figure out the remote so they stored it away and i just learnt to do it manually. Who doesn't call friends parents by their last name? im always like mr....... or mrs..... or auntie....uncle..... if their really close. And i have never had video games or play stations or what ever i find them boring and i do not play games on a computer i spend most of my time here or outside :) On the weekends its on the trampoline half of the day then maybe quad biking or doing some herping, riding my horse and walk though the parks, were almost always home after its dark. Man i am really really really bored hahaha

i am 18 so not overly old and i still call my m8s rents by their last name untill they tell me i can call them by 1st name...and evn then i still say mr and mrs :) i remember when petrol was like 50c and a cinimon dounught cost 5c or 10 for 40c :)

i also remember the gas man coming round once a week to fill our gas bottle and then they introduced mains gas.
the days when the posty would talk to you
the days when spray paint could b bought under 18s
when fridays were bonfire nights and every one in the area would come round with some meat and you all sit around the fire ( i was born in dubbo )
the days when if you had gears on your bike you were cool
the days u could walk down the street bare foot and not worry
days when you and your m8s could go play in the mud for hours and hours ( now they cry if they get a spec of dirt on them)
when farmers could easyly own a gun and not have to worry about it
when i was younger my grandperants would boil meat

i could go on and on but i wnt

funny signs in the greeks corner shop in the 70's... 'CREDIT WILL ONLY BE GIVEN TO LADY'S OVER 90 ACCOMPANIED BY THERE FATHER.'...

The introduction of the $50 note

Using your head to try and solve maths problems, didn't see a calculator until 1974

The old steam train engines and getting an eye full of coal dust and smoke.

Walking along the train lines with a sugar bag collecting lumps of coal that has fallen from the engines and using them in the heater at home.

CHOMPS never tasted so goooooooood at 10c :) a family of 8 crammed into a sedan ...push bikes, skate boards, NO HEADGEAR ...a broken arm was cool ;) not a thought of suing anyone cause you had a fall at the local park and busted your eye open or broke a limb,,, an accident was just that ...

At school using a ink pen with a nib and having an ink well built into your desk.

Getting smacked on the knuckles with a steel edge ruler for writing left handed.

Riding out along the highway and collecting empty drink bottles for their six pence (5 cents) deposit.

Cursing the federal gov when on budget night they put the tax on petrol up by 5 cents a gallon (4.5 litres)

Learning to drive in a FJ holden ute at age 13

Getting a couple of weeks off school after a science experiment went up in my face, that was cool being at home, just a pity I couldn't see as my eyes were damaged.
Guessing that would have been worth about a mill $ or 2 today.

My first brand new car, 1972 Corolla SL, it was a FLASH car, DID have a radio, extractors and tachometer as standard...cost $2450...on the road.

A brand new WX Falcon GTHO phase 2 shaker cost $4300...

To cool a car you opened the window, did not press a button.

A heater & radio were optional extras. Seatbelts were an after market thing.

The 8 track cassette player, super cool.....could never afford one

My first pay day from the Post Office, 80 hours, $41. after tax and giving Mum $15 for board....

I'm only 16, but heaps of things have changed -

Listening to cassetts with my Grandad in his car

Being told to write with my right hand, not my left

Sunny Boy Ice Blocks (Rasberry!) at the school canteen

Water fights at school, with water bombs and bubblers

Getting a pink CD player for my birthday, and being 'cool'.

Watching TV shows like Play School, Arthur and the Wiggles

Having metal play grounds, until they ripped them out and replaced them with plastic crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back