you wouldn't steal a hand bag...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah that's it mate :)

iv herd many artists talk about how much they will loss in illegal downloads , also there tracks being leaked before release dates...they accept it and move on, they are still making a fortune and they don't really sit around crying about it.

They don't sit around crying about it because the only real way to make money is to tour and this isn't really feasible after the first year or so of straight touring.

Record companies have been ripping off muso's since the industry began , its their turn . l like the way [ l think it was Radiohead ] did it , release their new album online for free , if you like it send whatever you think is fair . They made megabucks .

Exactly, NIN did something similar. Artists get nothing from record sales, if you really want to support your favouite band, go see them live. The record industry had it's chance to get on board with new media like the internet, they didn't and now they're in damage control mode, suing that lady for 1.5mil is just sick
Also, to be fair, it's hard to justify spending $30 on a cd with 12 songs on it, they're not really offering something worth $30.

They don't sit around crying about it because the only real way to make money is to tour and this isn't really feasible after the first year or so of straight touring.
actually many "artists" sit around crying about it such as elton john jay-z eminem are some of the most vocal about how bad it is for them with music DLing some even actively seek legal avenues (lars from metallica is a very famous case as is elton john)to punish fans for downloading, making music shouldnt be a job, it should be art but that was lost many many moons ago its hard to find actual music anymore most of it is just extended ring tones

p.s with the copyrite add u wouldnt steal a car or handbag etc etc , i would, if i could download a car or bag or snake i would and wouldnt even care

Last edited:
actually many "artists" sit around crying about it such as elton john jay-z eminem are some of the most vocal about how bad it is for them with music DLing some even actively seek legal avenues (lars from metallica is a very famous case as is elton john)to punish fans for downloading, making music shouldnt be a job, it should be art but that was lost many many moons ago its hard to find actual music anymore most of it is just extended ring tones

What I said wasn't clear enough: I meant that most of the smaller bands / artists don't because they don't have time. Yes you can make money from merchandise but there are people doing rips off of that now as well.

Anyway, isn't it their right to complain that someone is stealing their music?? I'm a uni student, I don't have much money and I have never downloaded a music track - with the exception of one or two from iTunes that I have Paid for. Why do so many people want something for nothing???

I recently went to see Metallica live in Brisbane (Great concert by the way). The price was $155 for the cheap tickets, I didn't mind paying, as I like the band. There were 21500 people at the concert, and the sold out 4 nights. try the math. And before everyone jumps up and down about the cost of running such an event my wife has gone to concerts at the same venue that were $60.
To me the music put on radio (or downloaded to those who choose to) is just advertising for me to see there concerts. The musicians make very little from there CD's anyway, and it shows who is a good artist when they play live and who is getting there music modified for sale. Would rather go and see a good band live than listen to fakes on CD.

I recently went to see Metallica live in Brisbane (Great concert by the way). The price was $155 for the cheap tickets, I didn't mind paying, as I like the band. There were 21500 people at the concert, and the sold out 4 nights. try the math. And before everyone jumps up and down about the cost of running such an event my wife has gone to concerts at the same venue that were $60.
To me the music put on radio (or downloaded to those who choose to) is just advertising for me to see there concerts. The musicians make very little from there CD's anyway, and it shows who is a good artist when they play live and who is getting there music modified for sale. Would rather go and see a good band live than listen to fakes on CD.

There are a select few artists who disagree with you - and ironically, I believe Metallica was one of them :)

There was talk of an annual fee with unlimited downloads off an iTunes 'like' supplier - but as per usual Sony can't their act together and join the crowd!!!

The annual fee could be similar to your TV license that you used to have to pay... It allows a household unlimited access to the music via the internet.

If however the people wanted to buy a CD they'd still probably have to repay the license for that CD as well.

I currently use an overseas MP3 supplier - that promises to supply LEGAL music at a fraction of the cost of iTunes and the like. So far I have had no complaints - however, I am still dubious of whether it is legal or not.

I also use some dance music servers where artists put their music for free!!! Though I believe it is for trial purposes and promos only.

The one thing I've NEVER understood though is TV programs (and sometimes movies).... If you own a PS3 with PlayTV, a DVD recorder, a video recorder, or any other device designed to rip movies, music, and television programs directly from the TV - yet, this is not (considered) 'illegal'?

However, if that SAME TV program, music video, or movie that was on TV last night was downloaded - that is illegal????

(note - it is actually illegal (i believe) to use your video/DVD recorder - ironically - however they're still capable of doing what they do)

i agree, but i dont think they have a right to peer at us over a pile of money claiming hard done by and claim they have been stolen off when they in fact steal from us! $30per disc it cost 10c to make .... and making us pay a copyrite fee over and over and over as a format changes and then charging shops for advertising their product (music). i think they had a good run isnt billions of dollars enough?
like i said i dont listen to new music its almost all crap but i am sick of re buying music cause a format changes or because they"remix" it i dont want something for nothing i want what i already payed for 3 freaking times!

I can see this is just going to go around and around. All of those people who claim the business is hard done by, I suggest you go and do your research and speak to people in the industry who actually know what they are talking about.

Gave my ps3 1 terra byte of space... I have play TV.... I have around 120 movies and even more shows lol.
Nothing illegal going on here. well... apart from the few thousand songs on my computer, not downloaded, I ripped them off CD's from mates.

I can see this is just going to go around and around. All of those people who claim the business is hard done by, I suggest you go and do your research and speak to people in the industry who actually know what they are talking about.
just because im not in a band does not meen i have no idea i dont watch tv i only listen to music and have reasearched this and 1 look at forbes magazine and mtv and any number of magazines would show they ar not hard done by not even in the slightest.
they (well established artists) have BILLIONS of dollars lets face it whos downloading unknown bands? very few of us thats who.
and another thing insinuating people who have a differing opinion than yours are less educated is insulting not to mention plain wrong.

Natorey - I had no idea that you weren't in a band, I didn't mean that you were less educated, I just meant that maybe talking to someone in, for instance, Sony, about why they wont sign new acts because they can't make money from CD sales might give you a different opinion about it. I'm not expecting you to take anything I say as gospel.

I'm 100% sure sony, BMG or any big music studio's are going to tell you they are hard up and profits are down, but they are still making way more money than they should be. They also work bringing in new talent on board by testing market water, current statis of artist currently on board, and market trends. If there profits are forced to take a cut do you think current music would die or someone would just find a cheaper way to produce music ? The big business will continue to try to tell everyone they are hard done by and reinforce it any way they can. This is there mass profits we are talking about here. Take a look at who owns shares in some of these companies, and how many artists also own there own recording studios? My guess would be that those wingeing the loudest have the greatest vested financial interest, but that would only be my guess.

As I said earlier though the best artist are the ones who regularly perform live, and prove they work for there money, and are not fakes. As far as I am concerned this is where they should be making there money.

I've done my time working in the music industry in the past (recording studios etc), and this is always an interesting debate. I know some people (usually industry types) that are vehemently opposed to downloading anything.

The bands you hear screaming about it are bands like Metallica, and the veronicas (if you could actually call them a band). Remember the whole,Metallica vs napster thing? That was pretty funny. Lars Ulrich singlehandedly turned fans into haters, which is an impressive feat when you think about it.

I have absolutely no problems with downloading music. It effects big bands (and the record company that their associated with) negatively. Sure they lose money, but it's also money that can be recouped touring or selling t-shirts. I think the benefits of downloading WELL outweigh the negatives. I downloaded some band from Belgium the other night, that I wouldn't have ever heard if it wasn't for downloading. Do you really think the band would want to slap a lawsuit on me for downloading their material, or would the exposure be more beneficial?

Obscurity is the enemy of bands and music. Downloading allows bands to reach every corner of the globe without pressing a zillion cd's that won't sell.

These are the sorts of bands that make money from T-shirt and merch sales, but then again, if you're in music to make money, you're in it for the wrong reasons. So many bands have big ideas of being huge, and making millions, but at the end of the day, that rarely happens, and the record companies more often than not end up exploiting the hell out of the artists should they make it big. I knew of a few bands that had no other ambition than to be signed to a major... that's a mindset I don't understand at all.

So generally it's the record companies screaming 'poor', not so much the artists. Record companies could die, and I have faith that (provided the artist was smart and had a decent manager), they would still go on to be as successful. The unwillingness of record companies to evolve is what's killing them. Who wants to pay $25 for a CD anyway? This is total idealism on my behalf, but I'd LOVE to see one of the majors offer album downloads at $10 a pop (or less). You could choose the file you'd want to download, whether it be MP3, or an uncompressed file, and with the album covers for you to print out should you want to actually burn it to CD and have it in your collection. I've seen local bands do this (for $5 a pop), and it works brilliantly (no CD pressing costs, etc). I believe that people ARE willing to pay for music, but not as much as the major record companies want us to pay.

Wow. That was a long rant.

Last edited:
I think the dodgy ones are those who support record companies, pay for live shows or buy direct from the artist. Big record companies are responsible for flooding our media with all this pop rubbish that no one could possibly like unless they think they should like it to be trendy.

Very well put Bradchip, but do you really think that the majority of people would pay to download an album for $10 (even with CD cover files) when it's available for free elsewhere? I honestly don't.

I think the dodgy ones are those who support record companies, pay for live shows or buy direct from the artist. Big record companies are responsible for flooding our media with all this pop rubbish that no one could possibly like unless they think they should like it to be trendy.

Just reading that, i meant to say you should pay for live shows or buy direct from the artist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back