Young bite victim who died 'with a smile on his face'

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair dinkim. That just confirms what we all thought, that he'd been bitten trying to catch or kill it. What a silly silly boy!

and he was also developmentally delayed :( and droped out of year 8 so that doesnt help alot
poor kid
cheers
brad

i knew it from the start - no sympathy here. At 16 he had no place doing what he was doing; and if he really knew what he was doing, he wouldnt have been so careless as to drop it.

Well he just proved an unpopular theory to be true... it is still mostly the victims fault though IMO.

If he knew what he was doing he wouldn't be trying to catch a wild, deadly snake for no good reason. I still feel sorry for all involved though.

At least the author of this article (like the recent one about the snake killing we've all seen) put in some useful information and valid points instead of making the snake out to be in the wrong. If only the kid had followed his fathers advice: "Look, don't touch."

Quote from article:
"I think every kid wants to be [Irwin] and they don't realise that snakes are quite deadly," he said. "Look, don't touch, and just walk away. They are as scared of you as you are of them, so if you ignore them, they will ignore you."

And nobody here catches Reptiles even though they have not been licenced or trained to do so?
If you spotted an Elapid basking on a road would you swerve to avoid hitting it but keep on driving past letting the next car to come by possibly kill it? Or would you attempt to relocate it off the road? And if so would you deserve no compassion & no sympathy for being stupid if your were tagged & died?

It was a mistake on his part, a child doing what he loved to do, what most of us love to do, see, photograph, or capture reptiles. Unfortunately he didn't have the training and educating behind him to help him along the way. Many Herpers experienced & in-experienced have made mistakes. The best of the best have been tagged on atleast one occasion. He probly had as much experience with wild Herps as the majority of this site has, VERY LITTLE, yet that hasn't stopped many members here from bragging about their catch, photograph & release now has it.

Get off the high horse boys & girls, not everyone has learnt to become a professional Herper by reading APS posts :p

PS,
Good to see most posters on this thread have enough common sense to see it as an unfortunate mistake that cost the little dude dearly. Those that need to pipe up with "I told you so's & I knew so's" ummm we all had our suspicions about what had taken place, but we don't all need a badge or recognition over it. IMHO the dude sounds like he could have made a good contribution to the hobby had he had someone behind him to show him the ropes. Instead he had to gain his own experiences hands on with no help. It is a real shame we have to outcast & dishonour the little guy rather than accept the fact he was no different to the rest of us on this site with the exception that we have each other for support/information/education etc.

Last edited:
Very sad to die such a young age - sad for all involved, very true, we have all done some silly things in our life - especially when young.

Well, I hope that wasn't what he was trying to say - just imagine if his father or family were members on here and somebody is talking about their 16yr old son who has unfortunately just passed away, and they read that!!!

well said jandc agree totally as for that other comment by nocajudo just because someone is mentally disabled does not make them different than anyone else

Well said j&c nobody deserves to die for one mistake and by the sounds of it he had more brains than several pepole here who think they no everything

Personally I wouldn't touch an elapid - unless I actually knew how to handle one. I'd hope most people would have the same common sense.

And nobody here catches Reptiles even though they have not been licenced or trained to do so?
If you spotted an Elapid basking on a road would you swerve to avoid hitting it but keep on driving past letting the next car to come by possibly kill it? Or would you attempt to relocate it off the road? And if so would you deserve no compassion & no sympathy for being stupid if your were tagged & died?

If you take a risk its your problem when you make a mistake, if you take a risk you deal with the consequences doesnt really make much differance why you do it. IMO he deserves as much compassion as anyone else who dies from doing something stupid.

He died happy doing what he likes, so its all good anyway, he met the same fate as his hero.

I used to do call outs and i can tell you i never got an easy brown, actualy when i would get the phone call i used to hope that it wasn't a brown:lol: .

Donk

Would you pat a wild dog out in the bush if you seen one? Most pepole wouldnt but if they see a snake they go after it .Certain personalities have had a huge affect on many lives and opened up a new passion in alot of pepole which can be hazardous to the inexperienced (me) simply sending of a form and a fee is'nt sufficent enough these days. EDUCATION IS NEEDED well thats what i think anyway

Cris,
Your own children (if you have some now or in the future) are bound to do stupid things in their lives also. It is apart of growing up, and for some of us the stupidity never ends :p Hopefully their mistakes will be minor and not fatal like this kids. But regardless of your best intentions, you can try your utmost best to teach them & raise them anyway you like, train them to be aware of any and all things mature & immature, but I garuntee you they will make stupid mistakes. I hope that if they do come to harm from their childish ways they are not labelled stupid, retarded etc like this poor child has been, as I am sure you wouldn't appreciate it as it would be un-called for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back