Your #1 GTP Captive Husbandry Tip!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesse_H

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I would love to hear from as many ACTUAL GTP KEEPERS as possible on the following question: -

"If you could impart just one piece of advice to somebody keeping a yearling GTP for the first time, what would it be?"

Let's go!

Plastic tub about 30 degrees on hot end and kept moist :D ask the breeder how they kept it and keep it same as them and it will be happy

Keep in slighlt more moist condition than a typical carpet, and spray twice daily when a shedis coming up. DONT STRESS, they don't require as much effort as you think!

That was like 3 tips but they are all easier than each other!

Look at it's natural environment and mimic it to the best of your ability :) I haven't found keeping greens to be overly daunting, certainly not as hard as I thought it would be.

my no#1 tip. do not ask me for tips, still having trouble feeding mine, hence the reason i was up at 4am to make a trip to the breeder and within 2 secs it had a pinky in its gut

Don't have any substrate on the floor of your enclosure, when Greens are "thriving" and l don't mean just existing they pass a lot of brown water with their bowel movement (poo) unlike other reptiles, now l know some keepers are going to say they get away with or like having spagnum moss or whatever on their enclosure floor, but l have seen on several occasions in other keepers set-ups missed watery droppings in the substrate on the floor of their enclosure, personally l keep my floors very moist (they are sprayed) but apart from that ,a warm "area" of 31c and a cool "area" of 22-23 they are relativly easy to keep and DON,T feed large food items.....just to pre-empt the flamers on here by having those temp areas mine can adjust anywhere in between they like.
........solar 17 (baden)

Don't have any substrate on the floor of your enclosure, when Greens are "thriving" and l don't mean just existing they pass a lot of brown water with their bowel movement (poo) unlike other reptiles...
........solar 17 (baden)
That's an interesting comment Baden. Where did you find out that it's a sign of good health?

That's an interesting comment Baden. Where did you find out that it's a sign of good health?
its only my opinion but look at the snake that does this compared to the one that doesn't.....skin lustre, skin tone and general all around alertness of the green concerned.
........baden

My #1 GTP Captive Husbandry Tip

Thanks Baden. So this is your own observation I gather. I've never seen this written about before. I'll certainly be taking note of this and making comparisons, although I dare say that it's more the norm.

My tip is to be very aware of when your GTP is coming up to a slough. This is more difficult to observe in juveniles but more important that you notice it. Increase spraying frequency at this time.

Last edited:
Tell us where you live. Keeping GTPs on Cape York and in Melbourne is slightly different.

re Your

Is handy to have no substrate on the floor,plastic tubs for young gtps in temperate climates work well as they keep the humidity in. Place the tubs in a larger cage to conserve heat and heat from above and below.
They make lots of brown water and faeces if well hydrated and that flushes the hard uric acid deposits,feed conservatively a bit on the small side.
Pic shows shed ,faeces and brown waterthat Baden (solar) reffered to earlier which is easliy cleaned then snake is placed back into tub Cheers

Last edited:
Is handy to have no substrate on the floor,plastic tubs for young gtps in temperate climates work well as they keep the humidity in. Place the tubs in a larger cage to conserve heat and heat from above and below.
They make lots of brown water and faeces if well hydrated and that flushes the hard uric acid deposits,feed conservatively a bit on the small side.
Pic shows shed ,faeces and brown waterthat Baden (solar) reffered to earlier which is easliy cleaned then snake is placed back into tub Cheers
exactly what l was ranting about.
.........baden (solar 17)

I am not disagreeing with anyone's methods, just putting forward my ideas and opinions. It would be sad if we all did the same thing the same way, how boring!

I found that 8 out of 10 times, my GTPs crap into their water containers. With the little neonates, I use these disposable sauce cups (8c each) and throw them away with the contents. The bottom cup is permanently glued to the bottom of the container and the one with the water sits in the bottom one. It's spill proof and easy to manage. The reason I prefer sphagnum moss to water substrate is: 1/ GTPs often rest on the cage / container floor and having water there deprives them from such opportunity. 2/ the snakes love to burrow through the moss, which is particularly helpful when sloughing.

It looks like this:
i-CWbLsj3-M.jpg
i-8TqfQHH-S.jpg

Tell us where you live. Keeping GTPs on Cape York and in Melbourne is slightly different.

Ahh yes that might help! I'm in Melbourne. I am looking at investing in a pair of GTPs and keeping them in one of the new dedicated Stien Enclosures for GTPs, which controls humidity etc. I will not be in a position to buy for about 18 months, so I plan to spend that time reading books/articles/forums as I have been for a few months already. I have Mike Swan's snake book, and will definitely get The More Complete Chondro. I've got issue #1 of Reptiles Australasia which has a great GTP article. Has anyone got the book Green Tree Pytons & Emerald Boas by the German authors? I'm not sure if I should get it.

Thanks everyone for the input so far, everyone has been extremely helpful and the highly articulate responses with great pictures are a tremendous help. Please keep them coming! :D

My no1 tip is use the KISS principle.Do not over complicate things and do not fuss over them.

My no1 tip is use the KISS principle.Do not over complicate things and do not fuss over them.

Similar to the KARK method ,based on the same research principle :lol:

I use the no substrate method as well , sooo much easier to clean and spray!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back