Your horse/s

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Comet

Here is our colt that was hatched in spring. He is a bit bigger now .

Attachments

• P1020360.JPG
    P1020360.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 31
Anna and Bully

Heres a couple of pics of our 2 latest editions.........Anna is a thoroughbred filly and Bully is an ex trotter, both are super quiet and have settled in really well. We do have another 7 horses but cant find any decent pics at the moment.

Attachments

• Anna 2.jpg
    Anna 2.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Bully 4.jpg
    Bully 4.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 17
Yay, my type of thread!

Horsy, if you're jumping 6ft you really should be on the olympic team (considering grand prix tracks usually run at between 5ft to 5'5"). Would love to see a pic!

I too do eventing, somehow always end up selling my horses before they've had a chance to go too far up the ranks though.

Champ, my lovely boy who I just sold.
Champ.jpg

My new girl Sin the day she arrived
Sin1.jpg

Genie, my gorgeous paint mare who really doesnt like eventing so is the dressage horse
Dcp_0008.jpg

Sculls competing in the US, he was sold and stayed over there when I came home.
ScullsOS.jpg

Cheers

Horsy, if you're jumping 6ft you really should be on the olympic team (considering grand prix tracks usually run at between 5ft to 5'5"). Would love to see a pic!

Lol! Plenty of people jump these heights at home but a competition is a whole different story. Neither of us are good enough for that yet. Besides, it's a single 6ft jump, not an entire course of them. That's alot harder than just one jump. I don't have any photos but will be sure to get some when we bring out the big jumps next time.

i love the spotty ones, i wanna go ride a horse thru the mountains again 1day

Dragoness, how do you go with a coloured horse in dressage comps. When I was competeing, the peer pressure pretty much kept all coloured horses out of the english ring.

I owned and trained some delightful paint and pinto horses, english and western. One pinto was solid enough to get away with the pony club circuit, but although she was very good in the ring, she just never seemed to get 'seen'. The paint was a little too obvious for anything other than western however. :p

Here is my sons pony...:rolleyes:
& a 2006 Palamino paint colt from our Buckskin paint mare and Chetnut & White Stallion.
3rd is Same parentage from 2004 taken this year before he went of to the trainers to get broken in.

Hahahahaha...like your sons pony...
And that foal is GORGEOUS!!

Here's my dream horse...although impractical... I just love the look of them.
clydesdale.jpg

Mm I LOVE Gypsy Vanners. 10k for a not-so-good foal though. It's insane. One day, Horsy, one day.

Lol! Plenty of people jump these heights at home but a competition is a whole different story. Neither of us are good enough for that yet. Besides, it's a single 6ft jump, not an entire course of them. That's alot harder than just one jump. I don't have any photos but will be sure to get some when we bring out the big jumps next time.

You're a braver girl than just about anyone I know thats for sure, I do 3* eventing and no way in the world Id ever be training over 6ft fences, ever! Even Rod Brown doesnt train over that size fence! Can I ask why you train over such fences? I mean, fences arent that height even at olympic level, so why train your girl over that? Im sorry, but anyone who knows anything about horses wont believe that you're jumping that height.
Anyway, Im happy to be proven wrong when you show us some pics.

Cheers

I don't train her over those fences. I compete in 1 metre - 1.10m classes. I do it for fun. We are training over those then we raise it bit by bit and see how high we get. We did 6ft and by that time Kharla was buggered so we stopped and measured it.
I really couldn't care less what you think, and if you believe me or not. I know the truth and my horse's ability. That's all that matters. It sounds liek you are a bit jealous? It's not about being brave, it's like teaching a horse to jump; start out small and work your way up. I have complete faith in my horse and no what she's capable of.
I don't need to prove anything to you but, as I said, I will take photosnext time I do that height.

Dragoness, how do you go with a coloured horse in dressage comps. When I was competeing, the peer pressure pretty much kept all coloured horses out of the english ring.

I owned and trained some delightful paint and pinto horses, english and western. One pinto was solid enough to get away with the pony club circuit, but although she was very good in the ring, she just never seemed to get 'seen'. The paint was a little too obvious for anything other than western however. :p

We have struggled in the past as we have had for her many years and she was one of the first coloured horses on the dressage scene. I found judges either loved her or hated her. If they loved her we could do a shocking test and still win, if they hated her we could do an amazing test and we'd come last (its still etched in my mind at a smaller comp when presenting to the judge she said "eeww a paint" then as we were trotting down the centre line she was looking out the side window at another horse, needless to say we place last, yet the same day in another test we won by a mile) I find it very very frustrating, though now more coloured horses are out competing, judges are actually looking at the quality of work, not just the coat colour. (finally!!)

Cheers

I really couldn't care less what you think, and if you believe me or not. I know the truth and my horse's ability. That's all that matters. It sounds liek you are a bit jealous? It's not about being brave, it's like teaching a horse to jump; start out small and work your way up. I have complete faith in my horse and no what she's capable of.
I don't need to prove anything to you but, as I said, I will take photosnext time I do that height.

I doubt that jealousy is the issue here, probably more to do with risking your horse unneccessarily. Possibly causing a fall, pulling a tendon, splints, anything can happen for no good cause.
Having said that, I too, when I was about 14 and silly, used to pop my boy over that sort of height, just for fun. But as I said, I was young and silly and wouldn't risk a horse like that now. :(

I'm not risking her. She's more than capable of doing it. You can't judge what I'm doing AT ALL unless you've seen my horse being jumped and in work.If she doesn't want to do something or feels she can't do it, she won't and you sure as hell can't make her. Very stubborn. We both trust eachother explictedly and I have never failed her yet. No point giving me crap about it now considering what's done is done and we both enjoyed it. She kept trying to cut back to the higher jumps after that but I wouldn't let her. I always put my horse's wellbeing first and, as I said, I know what she's capable of. My mate in America has a mare who can jump 7ft and she's jumped her that high. It's not an entire cours elike in the grand prix or olympics, it's one 6ft jump amongst bunch of 4 foot jumps. 2 foot is nothing to add to that. I know my horse much more than a bunch of people on the internet. Don't question what I do with her. People so alot more dangeorus things.

I don't train her over those fences. I compete in 1 metre - 1.10m classes. I do it for fun. We are training over those then we raise it bit by bit and see how high we get. We did 6ft and by that time Kharla was buggered so we stopped and measured it.

LOL, nothing to be jealous of honey, Ive been riding and competing here and OS for nearly 20 years. No way in the world would I risk my horses legs jumping that height, even if they were capable! Ive had my time for youth and doing stupid things and have now setled down to serious competition. I guess you're only young once so may as well enjoy it!

Cheers

Risking my horses legs? Obviously my horse can handle alot more than yours then. SHe was perfectly 100% fine and wanted to do it again. If you stride your horse correctly then the landing is often smooth. She didn't even falter on the landing. She jumps the scarier looking 3-4ft jumps alot easier and more confidently now.
I must say, you haven't been doing much for the last 20 years worth of competing if you are still on 3ft heights. No offense. Now I didn't make this board to be questioned, I made it to view other people's horses. I ride how I ride and you disapproving won't change that in the slightest, alright?

After my experiences over the last week all I can say is love your horses and cherish every minute with them as if they were a child. I lost my TB to snake bite last sunday after a 5 day battle. So cherish them as you never know whats around the corner.

Aww no. Of all animals, a snake :(
I had a near death experience with Kharla. Where she is used to be all barbed wire and when I came most of the fences had been replaced with electric fencing. Only one strip of barbed wire was left at the top corner near the enterance (which they were replacing the following week) and I was walking her up past the enterance when a car backfired. She reared and leapt forward, taking off galloping. I ran with her, trying to hold on but was forced to let go (even had a nasty rope burn). She runs straight through the barbed wire fence and cut her entire neck up. The vet said if the barbed wire had reached 2 cms to the left of where the cut ended, it would have hit her jugular and she would have bled to death before the vet got there. That certainly taught me to treasure every moment. She was very lucky.

Risking my horses legs? Obviously my horse can handle alot more than yours then. SHe was perfectly 100% fine and wanted to do it again. If you stride your horse correctly then the landing is often smooth. She didn't even falter on the landing. She jumps the scarier looking 3-4ft jumps alot easier and more confidently now.
I must say, you haven't been doing much for the last 20 years worth of competing if you are still on 3ft heights. No offense. Now I didn't make this board to be questioned, I made it to view other people's horses. I ride how I ride and you disapproving won't change that in the slightest, alright?

You will learn as you get older about what we mean about risking their legs, its not about 'striding you horse correctly' as you put it, its about jumping unneccesary heights on hard grounds etc. Obviously the higher the horse lands from, the more stress is placed on tendons etc.
Where did I say I was still on 3ft heights??? Did you miss the part where I said I do 3 star (advanced) eventing? (since you're an eventer you'll know the heights of those fences) At present I have one horse, I broke her in about a month ago, therefore, yes, she wont be jumping great heights for awhile, but thats just common sense!

Cheers

Last edited:
The ground is not hard. Those heights are done in a very soft, sandy olympic-sized arena we use to set up showjumping courses. THe dressage arena has very little sand and was very hard on the horses feet. Before my mate Julia and I came, they used to use it all the time. Then we came, saw the ground and warned everyone that it was dangerous and the horses could get concussions in their feet. That's how bad it was. Most of it was just clay underneath. We made the owners of the property fill it with alot of sand. Fortunately, the showjumping arena is very soft.
But for agistment place owners with 40-odd years of experience..man it was BAD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back