Zoo keeper JOB

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dylan-rocks

Reaction score
hi
i was wondering if anyone can tell me what i have to do to become a Zoo keeper specializing in reptiles or any other animal?
because i am wanting to be a zoo keeper when i get older.Im currently 14yrs old:)
and i do under stand i most probaly have to go to UNI.
cheers dylan

best start at your age is to go volunteer at a zoo. i'm sure studying is part of it, make sure you study biology and maybe a few other science subjects at school, and probably maths and economics so you get used to budgeting and having no money ;)

im sure there will be a few people on here that are studying and will be able to point you in the right direction.

Mate go to uni, volunteer at a zoo or wildlife park, work with your own animals, read text books, basically work hard and prove yourself as right for the job when it comes along. Its not the only way, some get these jobs through the back door, but its a sure way.

I am in the process of doing this also.

Basically in Victoria all zoo jobs are organised through one group, for Melbourne Zoo, Werribee Open Range Zoo and Hillsville Sanctuary. The way it works is once a year they advertise for applictions to a list. If you make this list you are elligable to do work experience at the zoos etc. But then you wait on the list for a job to come up. Only people on this list will be interviewed for the positions. So basically do as much study on your own time, or at school in your case to give you the best advantage.

So not sure how it works in other states but this is how Melbourne works. I missed the applications this year, so need to keep my eyes open for the next application next year!

Volunteering will be the best way, doing Cert III Captive Animals at TAFE will help (the course used to be called zoo keeping afterall).

Or there are a few uni courses around

Volunteer , volunteer, VOLUNTEER!!! Cant stress that enough. Zoo keeping is extremely competitive and the zoo would most likely choose a person that has been volunteering at the zoo over someone who hasnt with the same qualifications. You dont necessarily have to do a uni degree... there are courses in captive animal management that you can do thru TAFE.

Study ur butt off! My cousin works in a wildlife park and I quizzed her on it a while back she said it's pretty hard getting a job in a zoo as there are so many people that would kill for the oppertunity so as others have said volenteering to get your foot in the door is a great start.
At Uni you'll be looking at a bachelor of science (zoology) and if it were me I'd be doing a graduate diploma in education aswell as it would assist in a position of conservation awareness to kids etc..
Good Luck!

hey thks for posting i am going on a meet a keeper thing on 28th next month at dubbo zoo through my school where we get to make food and do some handling of the animals :)

Yeah I did 'Roar n Snore' at the Melbourne Zoo. It was such an awesome experience and spoke to a few keepers there, and that's probably the best thing to do. Find out directly from the zoo themselves how they go about employing people. Then you'll have a better idea of what you need to do!

Hi Dylan
As a few people have stated,
whilst at school try and study subjects that will get you into a science degree ie Wildlife Science/Biology or even Environmental Science. However it is not essential to have a degree. Its more a balance of educational qualifications and keeper skills.

If you finish school and cant get into Uni, dont stress. Try and get a volunteer position and study Captive Animal Management at Tafe. This is as valuable if not more valuable than a degree. As said, its a balance of education and practical knowledge......

Whilst you are still young you will find it hard to get a volly position untill you are 16 or older. But if you can get into a volly position on a once a week basis while you are at School or once you finish, this will definately help. Make sure you listen, ask lots of questions, be mature and dont be lazy. The one thing keepers hate is when vollys dont complete the task they were given and when they dont listen....

Also keep maintaining Reptiles at home and get a good understanding for the captive requirements of Geckos, Dragons, Monitors, Skinks, Frogs and snakes.

In my opinion the tafe course and volunteering would be the way to go. I have a bachelor of science majoring in zoology/ecology and its mainly the science side of things not the keeping side of things. Of course if you do like science and have the knack for it you may want to do the degree as well but unnecessary in my opinion. Good luck whatever way you end up going mate :)

thks that really helped im gonna look at trying to get a volunteer job(once off because its to far away) at canbeera reptile santurary where they let u feed the animals and set-up displays etc. hopfully ill get the family to go there for the day and ill just go there instead of the museum or something :)

Just a thought - always have an eye on something other than being a zookeeper. The jobs are usually poorly paid & they rely on enthusiasm to keep you in the job and pay you as little as possible. This is fine when you're young and enthusiastic, and have few responsibilities, but becomes a total pain when you've been in a job for 15 years and the person you want to replace stays another 20 years so you never get promoted.

Without wanting to dampen your enthusiasm, zookeepers spend a lot of time shovelling s..., and there is often nothing that will take the gloss off an interest more than turning it into a profession...

Just things to be aware of...

Jamie

As other people have mentioned, the job is competitive and 80% of the work will be cleaning. The other 20% will be food preparation.

Also as other people have mentioned VOLUNTEER. The more experience you already have, the better for you. There are a few different degrees and TAFE courses you can do, so go for something that interests you, is relevant and is at your level when you get there. Aim high, for your own good.

Also try getting work experience at the zoo when you're doing your course ( I know many won't take high schoolers) and you can try getting work experience at a vet, or getting a job in a pet shop (just for that little extra).

G'day guys,

There is some great information in this thread already (especially from Barramundi). Attitude is everything. Be proactive, knowledgeable (and make sure it's real knowledge, not internet knowledge!), humble, motivated and keen. So many of those who try and obtain a job in the zoo industry just want to interact with animals - it is so much more than that. You can have all the uni degrees under the sun, but if you lack the right attitude, there's 1000 people behind you willing to take your job.

As stated, the money isn't fantastic, but if you can stand out from the crowd, above average opportunities can present themselves. A friend just resigned from a high profile zoo as a senior keeper where he was on around $70,000 a year, and took a paycut to work at another zoo for $60,000 a year - with no uni degree. When I was 19, I was offered a job at another high profile zoo with a starting wage of around $55,000 a year...so there are jobs out there that can definitely pay the bills, although they aren't "well paying".

If you are looking into the Captive Animal course at TAFE you can get experience with a few demonstrators in Melbourne, just make sure they have the right qualifications. We have one person working for us now who is doing the course! The three main zoos are hard to get into, but remember there are many other wildlife parks such as Ballarat, Maru Koala Park, Moonlight Sanctuary just to name a few, these places can also take you on as part of your studies!

If you want well paying jobs, stay away from animals....you do these jobs because you love the work, love the animals and love the lifestyle opportunities!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back