Ticks on A Wild Lacey

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel_Penrith

Reaction score
So i was out on my mates property after riding our motos for 3hrs,
Out of no where a big lace monitor runs up a tree not to far from us, So we take a closer look, not that we can see much other than this the 1 and a half metre beauty, the next day we see it again, my mate Aaron says, im gonna get him so we can take a few pics, So he chases this lace monitor, climbs the tree, he's their tryin to shake it outta the tree, lol next thing you know it runs back at him, somehow he grabs him and he's wrestling with this big retptile up a tree, anyways after a lot off struggling and a few nice scratches we get a better look, TICS ALL OVER!!! I said to my mate, man what are we gonna do?? Is it gonna be right wit all those tics............ so we start pulling tics out, after half an hour i said man jus let it go and we can get him 2moro and work on him abit more, of course we didnt see him for a while, i speak 2 my mate a few weeks later, apparently he's been puttin defrosted rats out for this lacy....................Lol i said mate ur lying to me, so i stay over a couple of days and wat do u know, he comes bak and eats these rats........................Just wondering, should we continue pullin the ticks out??
We have got him a couple of times and continued pull them out.....He is a gentle giant, a remarkable animal!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why the hell is he chasing let alone wrestling a wild lacey in the first place :?

and you did make sure you pulled the ticks out correctly right, which means the heads of the buggers. Not just a yank of the body.

G'day mate,

I have found ticks on most families of lizards in Australia, from geckos to goannas. He will be fine, they are used to living with them.

It's illegal to molest wildlife without relevent scientific permits, even if you reckon you're helping it, the stress it has to endure during capture would be extreme.

Just so you are aware of the (other) risks of catching wild critters.

-H

The ticks won't do him any real harm. Just leave them be and he'll be right.

More harm done from your idiot mate chasing it and trying to shake it from the tree...
Some people need a damn good slapping

Yeh i jus really stood back rather then participate in the catching, we only pulled a couple out with tweezers, I will let him know to just leave it alone!! They are beautiful animals though, such large legs and claws!!!

well most of us do the same thing,catch and have a look and take a few photos
of herps
but lace monitors are always covered in ticks,,
i once had a lace monitor in my care who had been hit by a car
i removed alot of ticks with a tick twister tool
but theres that many
best not recapturing him all the time though
but by all means feed him that cant hurt

Hey Isis get off your

High%20Horse.jpg

Who here hasn't caught the odd herp in the bush? I bet you're just upset because the last goanna you saw was too quick for you to catch and you're jealous that some kids managed it.

It was the first one i have ever seen in the wild!!! I was excited, plus he controls wat he does..........not as if im goin to put my ass on the line to stop him... it would be awesome to look after sick or unhealthy animals, you could learn so much and some great methods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back