Native Green Tree Pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

craftsman

Reaction score
The question of "proof of origin" of GTPs that pop up on the Australian market from time to time has been debated on this forum before.

What really interests me is:

If YOU were considering to purchase "Native Green Tree Python(s)" - what kind of proof / evidence / information / explanation / reference, would satisfy you that the GTPs are as advertised?
What additional information / support would you expect from the seller / breeder?

I thrust these are logical, intelligent question, so please respond accordingly (no private messages here).:?

Just gotta trust the person who you are buying off, there's no one else that can give you that information.

At the end of the day I am not sure what sort of evidence could ever be produced other than copies of wild collection permits. that implies that the seller is the orginal collector and obtained them legally.

I wish I knew an answer other than blind faith in the seller if he/she is not one of the known holders of aussie greens.

It is purely a matter of trust and if you buy from a reputable breeder the fact that they aren't likely to try to pass off an exotic GTP as an Australian one.
The line of white dots down the back is only visible in more mature animals so not much good when buying hatchlings.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess most people would go off the white line of scales down the back for starters. If the snake doesnt have that feature, you can rule it out straight away cant you? Dont ALL genuine aussie GTP's have the white line?

I consider that the breeders reputation would have a lot to do for it with me, as well as their explanation as to how they came to obtain the 'native ' GTPs - again this is just a matter of trust.

Some breeders offer DNA profiled animals, but the way I understand it this is only proof of the mother's heritage not the father's?

It is purely a matter of trust and if you buy from a reputable breeder the fact that they aren't likely to try to pass off an Australian GTP as an 'exotic' one.

I thought the problem was the other way around i.e exotics being passed off as aussies

Big Ryano, the white line is not always uninterrupted. More than often it's a series of irregular white dots along the spine.

Big Ryano, the white line is not always uninterrupted. More than often it's a series of irregular white dots along the spine.

Yeah. but no other "type" of GTP really comes close to that look do they? Theirs always some form of white line, whether its interupted or not, down the back of the aussie ones. This makes it pretty straight forward to id an aussie one doesnt it? I cant see how people could sell an exotic GTP as an aussie one. they look fairly different.

The Merauke type can be mistaken for an Ausie GTP - it has very similar markings.

Nephrurus, nobody is talking about wild caught animals here. This is about captive bred snakes.

The Merauke type can be mistaken for an Ausie GTP - it has very similar markings.

Arent the meraukes expensive overseas as well? As someone else said, no one would smuggle in an expensive race, they'd choose the cheapest. I reckon if a GTP in Australia has a white line down its back, unbroken or not, it would probably be a safe bet its an aussie one. Dont some people believe the merauke and aussie GTP to be exactly the same thing?

No, they are not the same, just similar both morphologically and genetically.

PS - we are getting off the subject!

Reputable breeder who will give you certificate of lineage.
LOL yeah

The only way to be 100% sure is to get it's DNA sequenced.

Australian GTPs are genetically distinct from all other populations, although they are related to the Southern PNG forms.

:p

Hix

Last edited by a moderator:
You just have to trust the person you're buying from. If you don't trust them then don't buy.

They are all just localities and Meraukes , a few Aru's and even an odd ball from other localities can have white dorsal scales ..
This guy has more stripe than you'll see on any Native Aussie chondro, this is a Bade Merauke
DSC01976.jpg

Here's a yearling , not that much stripe.
DSCF0028-2.jpg

another with just a decent stripe
meraukemale111.jpg

The problem with these guys is that for some reason when bred in captivity they seem to loose the majority of their white stripes. There have been Meraukes(as I understand the same holds true for your native animals) with solid white stripes that when bred together produced animals like in the second photo and some with less stripe.. That kids parents had almost full stripes..

So you're going to have to trust the person you are buying from.. Randy

Hix, as far as I know you can't tell them apart, they are very much the same as the Merauke locality but over all seem to have less of a dorsal stripe.. .. Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back