6 foot water python first snake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

froggy_matty

Reaction score
my friend has just given me his old water python and enclosure. to me it seems like quite a big snake, somewhere between 6 and 7 foot. am i in over my head for a first snake? i handled it verry little when we first moved it, but have fed it so i am waiting a few days. any advice would be excellent, i will try and get some pictures up when i get it out next.

As long as your confiden you will be fine.

Is the snake on your license?

If ti's a good handler it's going to be an awesome snake. I've got a 6' plus female water here that would be an awesome first python for anyone willing to take the plunge I guess. But it's all mine. If it's bitey you're in for a great time :) ;)

what if im not too confident? haha. he says hes never been bitten, but the snake has a mind of its own, and will go where ever it wants, when ever it wants. it should be a great journey, also does anyone know the life expectancy of these? mines a female.

dude always just let the snake go where it wants! and that goes for all snakes! they are a wild animal brought into captivity, its not like a dog or a horse! it goes where it wants when it wants all you can do is bring it to were you want by handling it! Also never grab a snake always just support its belly! But yer if it wants to go over your back let it and when you want him/her back in front of you just pick her/him off your shoulder and bring around the front!

dude always just let the snake go where it wants! and that goes for all snakes! they are a wild animal brought into captivity, its not like a dog or a horse! it goes where it wants when it wants all you can do is bring it to were you want by handling it! Also never grab a snake always just support its belly! But yer if it wants to go over your back let it and when you want him/her back in front of you just pick her/him off your shoulder and bring around the front!

I dont let mine go where they wont lol.

game !! thats the word used for you, but if its a good handler then good on you , if it bites you dont give up!!!

gotta love water pythons. if u get a good handler then it will make the best snake to own, if u get a snappy bugger then look out its the demon spawn.

i had a 7 foot water when i first started out and she was awesome....she was the best handler.....
i did get bitten by her but was my own stupid fault for putting my hand in her enclosure while she was feeding.....my word of advice is....DONT DO WHAT I DID lol

yeah shes on a license, beutiful snake. gonna leave it untill friday or saturday to try get her out. just went and had a look, and shee seems a little pissed off still. im excited. going to get a hatchling sometime in the near future. im fascinated by them. i love it

Sweet you're lucky as! I think getting a big snake as you're first is cool but ya can't be scared and stuff! I don't think you are in over your head just handle it let it get use to you etc!

i got it out today, was not too bad an experience, except when she wrapped herself around my arm, kinda freaked me i had to put her down. got the trembles and stuff. haha. then took me about 30 mins to get her back in her tank. haha. ill have another go tomorrow again

hey Matty, i almost got a 7ft water as my first. I almost regret not doing it. He was a beautiful snake, but at that size they can be intimidating if you aren't experienced! a strong, long snake with a couple of coils around your neck can be a little unsettling.
make sure you keep control of at least one end of the snake at all times, and dont let it put more than one coil around you at any time. just guide it's movement, you dont need to grab them.

Good luck, i hope it all goes well! and please post pics!

i got it out today, was not too bad an experience, except when she wrapped herself around my arm, kinda freaked me i had to put her down. got the trembles and stuff. haha. then took me about 30 mins to get her back in her tank. haha. ill have another go tomorrow again

The very first snake I ever held was a positively miniscule childrens python hatchling and I still stood there shaking like a leaf. An evolutionary fear response and thousands of years of social engineering won't be overcome in a day, but it might in a week :D.

Once I got over the automatic fight or flight response and saw what amazing critters they were I was fine, and have been ever since.

23022009186.jpg

23022009187.jpg

this is just me and the snake. pictures are off my mobile, so they arent real great. but they show how long she is

My first snake was a Water python she was about a meter when i got her. She was a great snake to own and handle, she did end up biting a couple of times but it was our fault. I have found that they are very curious and active snakes.
I have a hatchling water python now and she is just crazy, much more intimidating then my big girl was. she should settle down eventually though.

01032009188.jpg

01032009189.jpg

01032009190.jpg

more, and thanks for liking my hair, lol. it actually has blue and purple in it as well as brown. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back