Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lots of bites when there young but if u just keep persisting letting him bite and still handling when they are biting they soon learn your not a threat but a good source of stimulation after i pair up my olive waters are next my list. mt mates one is fine his 5 yr old handles it its only 2ftish but has never biten her.

I picked up a childrens from the show. I have put it in a click clac and will no touch it except to change water for at least two weeks.
This is what you should be doing. All the vibrations etc from the expo would of freaked the poor thing out. Give it time to settle.

I recently swapped a yearling male Diamond for a female yearling Water, I jumped at the chance when I asked about it temperment and they said their kids hold it and it never bites out of it's enclosure....and it has proved to be better than I expected, a really really nice Water..love it!

Water Pythons are good to get your skills up, get some Jungles and Scrubbies, and you'll be a top notch python handler, either that or full of holes.

so even for this one you think a hook is a good investment? i dont think anyone really wants to handle him haha

can I ask how many day's you've had it? you have to give it 2 weeks min to settle in without being handled, desturbed etc, if you don't it will be agro and snap at you. it's just scared and stressed from being in a crouded place lots of people, moving to new location, being handled by new people and not allowed the time it needs to settle in.

I know your excited and just want to get it out and handle it and show it off but so does everyone want to when they get a new snake. I have my newest member in a 44l container with mesh lid, one hide container of water, something to climb and shredded new's paper I've had her for only a week and have only gotten her out once since I've had her. I check on her 1ce a day and cover her container up every night and take it off every day time to get fresh air. I don't sit and watch her, I do what I need and get out as soon as I can. I keep her in a spare bedroom away from trafic area's and try keep that end of the house noice free.

I will not start handling her till after the 2 weeks.

most snakes are agro when you first get it and it can take weeks to months till they settle down.

so take the advice given and leave it be to settle in and after a month if it's still agro ask for more advice. I see it as they won't feel comfortable if you arn't.

2.5m isn't a large snake. Quite a lovely size I'd say. No where near the size of their distant cousins - olive python. My girl is 2.6m now and is only half grown so be happy your water python should stop there.

You should have done some homework before buying it and would already know how big to expect it to get, and even some information on what to expect from babies and as it grows would have been very helpful so that you aren't lagging and wondering now that you have it. Can't wait to get one, they are very pretty. Like a dark version of an olive, I want one.

I also bought a pair of water pythons at the show and the female is psycho like nothing else. Snake Ranch sell the NT variety which is more aggresive than the QLD version.

It might just be cage defensive, as I had it out and left it to crawl around my shoulders for two hours while I watched a movie and it was calm as anything, even when I moved my hands, but as soon as it was put back in the container, back came the spawn of satan behaviour.

I bought a pair of water hatchlings last year. .Both of mine are complete psychos, but they are very pretty and eat well. Maybe they will turn out to be adult psychopaths, maybe not. At least they will be my psychopaths.

I know this may sound odd, but snakes that are constantly placid can actually get a bit dull.:)

Water Pythons are good for your skills, get a couple of Jungles and a Scrubby and you will be a top notch Python handler or possibly just full of holes...

These poor guys have such a bad rep....A good one is,IMO, just the best snake you can keep.
I clean my girls (quite large) enclosure with half my body inside and her almost on top of me..I never take her out to fix up the enclosure and she just slides over me for a look...Never even looked like striking at me....comes out with me almost daily and is handled by all the neighbours young kids...Yup...they are EVIL!!!
(and this is the 2nd water python female I've kept over the years..both exactly the same temperament)

I got a Water python a few days back,and i must say at the moment its a little gem.I dont mind if its snappy,it keeps you on your toes.I cant wait to get a mate for this one,im pretty sure i have a female,i wish i brought some of these alot earlier than now.

just been leaving him for a while got into his cgae to change water today no bites (he was in hide)

still is abit snappy when im fixing up the thermometers (he pulls them across the enclosure)

HAHAHA. My Jungle is friendly as anything but touch any of her cage furnishings (eg:to clean) and she wants blood.

I got some Water hatchies this year from Snake Ranch also.I let them settle in for 3 months thinking they're going to calm down..But they haven't :shock: .So Ive started handling them,Out of the tub they're not to bad,As long as you don't wave your hand around in front of them.In the tub they're NUTS. Ive taken a few bites(so has my sucker mate:lol:) but in time they'll settle down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back