Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cabotinage

Reaction score
well as some of you would no i bought a water python at the expo on friday he is about 60-70cm long and in a 44l click clack he has 2 hides and a water bowl which he has great fun messing up the hide flipping them etc.

now i went to check on him and such i go about 1m away from his click clack he jsut goes crazy striking at EVERYTHING the walls his hides my genral direction etc ive never seen anything like it he is like possessed i had to move him yesurday and he was find in my hands for about 1 min then went absoutly crazy which then i put him straight in the click clack.

will he get any better? can he hurt him self biting at the walls? is anyone elses water pythons messy as anything?

what do you guys reccomend i do im going to go back to the expo tomorrow and ask kane on what i should do and if its that normal with water pythons. he said thy wouldbe bitey but i didnt think they meant he would just go crazy like he is have a fit.

Put a towl over him. And move it to a low traffic area if you haven't, also don't keep looking at him leave him alone completey if you can.

maybe he has just had enough for now? being at the expo might have stressed himout a little, then taken to a strange place and being handled by a new person... But I'm new to snakes... could be wrong, but I do know it would upset me if I had had the same last few days as him.

put him somewhere quiet and cover him up. leave him alone to settle in for a week or two, then start handling him for a few minutes at a time

yea he is down stairs which i only go in about twice a day when i get up and when i go to slpee and i wlak in to check the temps every now and then

but do you reakon if he keeps this up for say a month snake ranch will take him back as i dont want him to end up hurting himself just because i go to sleep.

i had a water python for a few years. he was the most highly strung animal ever to come into my collection. i only held him when it was a nessesity (cant spell)
and in those few years before i sold him he never calmed down.

Nice introduction to Water Pythons hey.
This is mostly their general temprement so you better get used to it.

Did you do any research or ask any questions before purchasing?
This is 1 negative to the Expo. Lots of impulse buying. And my post is not so much about yourself, but the several phone calls I have recieved today asking questions regarding purchases made where the buyers obviously knew nothing about the species. I should change my number & not advertise it again lol

yea we were talking to kane and john weigel for about 40min-1hour about them they said he will be bitey and stuff at the start but usually calm down and said good luck and stuff im like yea i odnt care about biting but this is abit to far..

I find they are usually, but not always, only snappy inside their enclosures.
Whenever being removed or returned to the cage. They are very territorial, but once out are mostly fine.

Getting past the removal aggression is the easy part. It's the sudden snap when returning it to its enclosure after 30 mins of problem free handling that makes no sense at all lmao

yea they said they will be cage protective but not being within a 1m radius?he doesnt like his thermoter probes and pulled them in with him but thats not a problem as the temps are all good

you would have to get permission from NSWNP to return him to snake ranch or sell him. theres a 6 month rule in place where you must keep a reptile for 6 months before moving it on

I have kept several waters throughout the years.Infact my first snake was a beautiful water python named cuddles.He was puppy dog tame ( no joke ) a fantastic snake.Also a couple others who were good handlers as well. But I kept one girl Jackie (named cos she was like a jack in the box toy ready to pounce on anything that mooved) who was the meanest sob ever!! I would have handled my scrubbies any day than have to go anywhere near that girl :)

i dont want to get rid of him he is such a lovely looking snake but like i dont think i could handle putting up with this for 6months or a year

but if it does happen will suck do you reakon they would let me give them back to snake ranch though if it keeps up? or if snake ranch wont take him back what would my best option be?

Better approach Snake ranch ASAP. Don't leave it for weeks.
I think they would be understanding, however desease & quaruntine will probably be the biggest factor.

i was going to call kane monday afternoon about it but i have a pretty hectic week coming up also 8 half yearlys and 13 hours of work which doesnt sound like much but being at school until 3 then at 4 goign to work until 7-9 leaves out all the time to talk to him or do something

give it abit of time, you have had the snake for 1 day. like i said in an earlier post, give it time to settle in. you could also email Kane and ask for some advice from him

ive had 3 for about 5 yrs. they go off nearly every time i go past them. i always hook them out. once out ,they are as placid as ever. generally, i dont let anybody else handle them. personally, i love them , but i dont think they are for everybody !

I bought 2 adults just a few weeks ago, and 1 in particular used to go off pretty much everytime went near the enclosure. I have been bitten by the female already (it was just a scraping) but geez it hurt.... They are heaps better now, dont stike at the enclosure when Im near but I have gone out and bought strong gardening gloves if Im to put my hand in the enclosure...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back