Are we born abnormal?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[QUOTE= If you love reptiles and still have trouble making friends, whatever other problems you have must be extreme enough to cancel out any benefits reptile owning gives you. Damn.[/QUOTE

ummmm, sorry but that is a little bit harsh....a little bit of tact wouldnt go astray.
highschool is difficult for everyone i think, and its made even harder when u have trouble fitting in... i was lucky enough to never be bullied but i just didnt seem to find just one 'group' that i fit in with so i was a bit of a drifter. but always found it easier to run with the blokes, even after i left school. you will find yourself eventually, and when u do, thats when u will find your true friends (few and far between). but no matter how hard and lonely it gets, nothing is worth changing yourslef for others, and nothing is worth giving up your passion!! hang in there girl, believe me when i say life gets better (its what u make it), and soon, the trials and tribultaions of highschool will be a distant memory...

At my school im good friends with all my mates.. none of us care what people say we always end up making fun of all the people with 2 inches of make up on there faces.. Some of my friends are petrified at the thought of me having pet snakes and it makes it even worse (but funnier) that i tell them they roam around the house freely but they don;t treat me any different.
When all of the *insert word here* girls just sit there and talk about dressesand stuff we all run and fight over who gets to sit on the bench. And we all endup sitting on each other anyway. Its been a long time since we havn't been told off by teachers for being to loud or having food fights.
If people won't accept you for liking herps so much there not worth being friends with. I would prefer sitting by my self listening to music or being in the library than with people who dont let me be myself :) But yeah i've felt your pain, hang in there.. school will be histoy for us soon :D

Hi
We are what we are girl. 30 years ago nobody could understand why I thought reptiles were beautiful and fascinating. I was a loner and hide my true self for a long time. My parents (god bless them) never placed any boundaries on my thinking and re-inforced being true to yourself - that is how I have raised my own kids.....now my sons have Tarantulas, I have snakes and my daughters do more than buy clothes and giggle over boys.
I know it can be lonely and soul destroying at school where everyone is struggling to find their place in the grand scheme of things but look at it a stepping off point for the rest of your life........there is so much more of your life to experience and this site is testament to the fact that there are many people like you.....and me...... and that we are not different or weird ....we're just us. Stay true to YOU.
Hope tomorrow is a beautiful day for you
K

You sound wonderful to me....don't change who you are because of other people, be true to yourself all your life. I'm 58 and trust me, lots of people my age think that I'm crazy or odd to love snakes too. They reckon I should be too "adult" for that....but hey, I love snakes and I don't care what anyone says.....follow your dream.

Cheers, Annie :)

Well said Annie. Sad to see that people are still tunnel visioned about anything not "mainstream". Half my friends think I'm nuts but they know that's just me. I hate people who try and pigeon hole others.....you know, "all teenagers are (insert derogatory comment)" or "all women over 40 are (insert another derogatory comment)"
Anyway...enough of my soapboxing.
Hello world .....My name is Kylie, I'm 44 years old and I'm addicted to snakes.....get over it!!!! lol

When I was at school though I would see those wierd kids that smell, or were dumb and had no freinds and I just had to tease them, I know if I seen them today they would thank me :p

Hye, guys!
thanks for all the advice and encoragement :)
Lovin reptiles is just me, and im not going to change to be someone im not, cause i wud be very unhappy. Yep the girls are already jealous that i can talk to the guys so easily :) im more at home with the boys anyway.

All my life iv fit in better with the guys then the girls. To me that is just natural and im so much happier that way. Im used to been different because i AM different. Whilst I do have a group of girls I am 'aquintences' with, I mainly stick with the guys. For me it wasnt the herps that made me different, it was the spiders. I have a beautiful collection including 2 tarantulas. Then I got my snake leaving my friends posing the question 'whats next'. My interests have always been different to the other girls, and in my opinion more logical. Of course the girls always scream (to my frustration) everytime I talk about my pretties or show pictures. Then you get that shocked, startled look on their faces when they say 'so what are you doing when you finish school' and I reply with funeral directing and mortuary assistance. Iv been told that some people are scared of me, which i think deep down makes me alittle proud. At least by been so different they can tell me apart from my twin. I like not completely fitting in with the girls because I dont like the girls. My priorities in life are more practical then the plastics, which im sure they will realise when they finish school and find out they need more then a pretty face to succeed.

Hye, guys!
thanks for all the advice and encoragement :)
Lovin reptiles is just me, and im not going to change to be someone im not, cause i wud be very unhappy. Yep the girls are already jealous that i can talk to the guys so easily :) im more at home with the boys anyway.
Enjoy being able to talk to the guys - much better basis for future relationships than them looking at your chest all of the time.
I think more girls might be interested in herps, but are afraid to be themselves and break away from the pack. As a female teacher, I find that most girls are enthusiastic about snakes when I present them to my classes. A few of my girls regularly ask if we can get Mr Pebbles (the MD in my classroom) out for a play. These are popular girls who might not admit their interest in different circumstances. I think that having a female teacher show how cool herps are can make it okay for them to admit to a touch of the addiction. If the guys know you like animals, you can share a common (uncommon?) interest and they've been warned! Pythondad knew what he was getting into when he met me - we had baby fruit bats living in the lounge room plus kowaris and Notomys on the verandah. He knew there would always be interesting animals around if he stuck with me.

school is only a thing you do before starting your life.
Forget what others think of you and be who you are.
The right people will be your friends. The others you really don't want anyway.

By the sounds of it....you'd all hate me if you met me. I'm a stereotypical highschool girl. I love makeup and clothes and shopping and bitching (but aslong as its nothing serious that will end up hurting someone) and boys. I have a balance of friends, some boys, others girls. I feel i fit in better with the guys but only based on music taste, all of my guy friends have the same taste as me but the girls dont. This doesnt drastically affect my friendship with the girls though. The fact that i love reptiles and animals doesnt bother my friends. They feel its just who I am and theyll support me with whatever. Then again i'm lucky enough to have girlfriends that arent scared of reps.

I guess....its all who you choose to make friends with. I keep a balance - i have my weird side and my stereotypical side. Both of which are me. And if people can't accept you for who you are then they arent worth your time.

Most of my friends are allways asking me bout the snakes and lizards. The girls are girly but they dont care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back