Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristy_07

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
A few of us got to nit-picking each others grammar today - a pastime I enjoy immensely!

I was wondering if anyone else had any grammatical or spelling pet peeves?

My number one pet peeve is even reptile related! I :evil:HATE:evil: the common but incorrect usage of the word SLITHER. As in, people who say, "Yes, please, I'd love some cake. But, I'm watching my weight, so I'll just have a slither."

Last time I checked, snakes SLITHER, and cakes SLIVER!!!! It drives me nuts :lol: Listen out for how many people confuse these two words.

Any others? (Or am I the only grammatically-anal person on this forum? :p)

ok so lets be pacific what kind of cake are you talking about lol, thats mine right there those who confuse the words specific and pacific

ok so lets be pacific what kind of cake are you talking about lol, thats mine right there those who confuse the words specific and pacific

If it's on 'Kath & Kim', then it's ok! :lol::lol:

This is one of my pet peeves also, both in written and verbal communication, but, I can only think of one right now...

When someone says they will 'arks' about something instead of 'ask'.... :evil:

When I read the first few words there I was already getting ready to correct your useage of the word 'pacific' until I actually read the whole thing. :p The mixing up of those words is also a pet peeve of mine!

Spelling and grammar are also another big one for me.
There are also a lot of attributes in people that i strongly dislike but I won't go there at the moment. lol

Somethink instead of something - when spoken, obviously :lol:

ALTHOUGH.... I did, on one memorable occasion, see it actually written... :shock:

The word "literally" annoys the hell outta me no matter how someone says it!

When some one says "You's".... I hate it!

Haha! That's a new word now, didn't you know? It's the plural of a collective noun :) sort of like whose. It's 'youse'.
I don't really have any but I do annoy a friend of mine, any time I say bum, I add a 'b' on the end just to annoy her:lol:

I can't STAND it when people say "moosli" or "noos" - I know they are probably the correct form of pronunciation for both the words "muesli" and "news", but God help me, it drives me nuts!!!! :lol:

Vietmanese instead of Vietnamese....

Obviously, this applies directly to me this year! And there is another young ex-pat who says Vietmanese EVERY TIME! So unacceptable when living in the actual country :lol:

And, to make it worse, it is a really bad habit to pick up by accident when you are hanging out with someone who says it all the time! :oops:

I'm pretty anal about the use of "that" and "which", as well!

THAT should be used to introduce a restrictive clause.
WHICH should be used to introduce a non-restrictive or parenthetical clause.

A restrictive clause is just part of a sentence that you can't get rid of because it specifically restricts some other part of the sentence. Here's an example: Gems that sparkle often elicit forgiveness.

The words 'that sparkle' restrict the kind of gems you're talking about. Without them, the meaning of the sentence would change. Without them, you'd be saying that all gems elicit forgiveness, not just the gems that sparkle. (And note that you don't need commas around the words that sparkle.)

Nonrestrictive Clause--Which

A nonrestrictive clause is something that can be left off without changing the meaning of the sentence. You can think of a nonrestrictive clause as simply additional information, and if using which, the information should always be written within commas. Here's an example: Diamonds, which are expensive, often elicit forgiveness.

Too much? :lol:

I'm pretty anal about the use of "that" and "which", as well!

THAT should be used to introduce a restrictive clause.
WHICH should be used to introduce a non-restrictive or parenthetical clause.

A restrictive clause is just part of a sentence that you can't get rid of because it specifically restricts some other part of the sentence. Here's an example: Gems that sparkle often elicit forgiveness.

The words 'that sparkle' restrict the kind of gems you're talking about. Without them, the meaning of the sentence would change. Without them, you'd be saying that all gems elicit forgiveness, not just the gems that sparkle. (And note that you don't need commas around the words that sparkle.)

Nonrestrictive Clause--Which

A nonrestrictive clause is something that can be left off without changing the meaning of the sentence. You can think of a nonrestrictive clause as simply additional information, and if using which, the information should always be written within commas. Here's an example: Diamonds, which are expensive, often elicit forgiveness.

Too much? :lol:

I don't think I would like you very much in the real world! :lol:

I don't think I would like you very much in the real world! :lol:

I don't think that I would like you very much in the real world! :lol:

You would. I'm only anal on paper, and about slithers of cake. ;)

peeple who make speling mistakes, not for hard words but for simpel commen words.

Beaded Dragon
Breading
Stimpson Python instead of Stimson python.
using of instead of off.

One of my pet peev's would have to be that people can't spell 'plastic tub'!!! They seem to end up spelling 'click clack'!! Go figure!

One of my pet peeves is people that can't correct the grammar of others in a constructive manner, or think they're smarter or somehow more intelligent than others because they have a better grasp of our written language. Unfortunately as good our education system is, some people fall through the gaps, this is just one example among many other reasons why some aren't as grammatically perfect as others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back