Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a mate who only eats rations of bacon. Personally, I eat rashers...
Also, does anyone care about the difference between to and too any more, or their, there and they're?
While we're on it, what about the difference between its and it's?

This is a never-ending thread - looking forward to seeing more posts!
Nic

Last edited:
Also, does anyone care about the difference between to and too any more, or their, there and they're?

The first two drive me nuts. As for the third one, I'm probably just as guilty as the next guy :p

Nic

Maybe he's onto something - I should probably try to ration the amount of bacon I eat, too...

Hey, this one is pretty tough!

http://www.quizmoz.com/quizzes/English-Language-Quizzes/c/Common-English-Grammar-Mistakes-Quiz.asp

A couple of times today on here I have read people using 'excepted' instead of 'accepted'...

effect and affect. get it right damn it! ha
i cannot stand people who talk in text form, that is when i say something funny and they say rofl or lol!!

i have a mate that says "lol" in general conversation it is rather annoying.

yes, they actually speak it. WITH THEIR MOUTH!!! I spoke to a bloke the other day and he seriously said OMG, I replied *** and punched him in the head

Nic

the apostrophe between the word and the 's' means there is another word in there that has been shortened. It's means it is, whereas, its means exactly what it reads, so one could say "we saw the fox, but it escaped into its den" there is no need for an "is" in that phrase.

"their", "there" and "they're" once again means three different things. "There" is referring to a place (I put it over there), "Their" talks of more than one and "They're" indicates by the apostrophe that there is a missing word, in this case, the phrase means "They are", it's just a version of the two words that got amalgamated for the sake of minimising speech.
[/B]

And here endeth the lesson for the day!! LOL

and apologies, BOZO here didn't realise the bold type wasn't switching off!!!!!

Last edited:
I find it quite amusing to see the number of people who use an apostrophe to denote more than one item.

For example ....... I have snake's for sale. Or......My brother has a lot of dog's and cat's.

An example of the their etc. They're watching their friends over there.

The actual spelling and pronunciation of words makes me smile, no wonder English is such a hard language to learn................... for example, cough and bough..... they look like they would sound the same, how confusing is that? I know there's many more, but they escape me right now, but then there's the words that sound the same but mean completely different things.............. fair, and fare......... wear and ware........... to, too, and two, etc, the list goes on.
I pity anyone who grew up with another language who is trying to make sense of ours!!!!!!!

The actual spelling and pronunciation of words makes me smile, no wonder English is such a hard language to learn................... for example, cough and bough..... they look like they would sound the same, how confusing is that? I know there's many more, but they escape me right now, but then there's the words that sound the same but mean completely different things.............. fair, and fare......... wear and ware........... to, too, and two, etc, the list goes on.
I pity anyone who grew up with another language who is trying to make sense of ours!!!!!!!
Tomb, bomb and comb all sound completely different despite only having different first letters as well.. always found that funny.

A certain persons who says, "news" while trying to say, "you's" (the usage of 'you's' is funny enough). Also a mate of mine who calls migraines... get this... mind-grains. I've him asked about it and he seriously think that's what they're called! AARGH!

ENGLISH
I take it you already know
Of tough and bough and cough and dough?
Others may stumble, but not you
On hiccough, thorough, slough and through?
Well done! And now you wish, perhaps,
To learn of less familiar traps?

Beware of heard, a dreadful word
That looks like beard and sounds like bird
And dead: it’s said like bed, not bead –
For goodness sake, don’t call it deed!
Watch out for meat and great and threat,
(They rhyme with suite and straight and debt).
A moth is not a moth in mother
Nor both in bother, broth in brother.

And here is not a match for there,
and dear and fear for bear and pear,
And then there’s dose and rose and lose –
Just look them up – and goose and choose,
And cork and work and card and ward,
And font and front and word and sword,
And do and go, and thwart and cart –
Come, come, I’ve hardly made a start!
A dreadful language? Why man alive!
I’d learned to talk it when I was five,
And yet to write it, the more I tried,
I’d hardly learned it a fifty-five.

I remember in one grammer thread someone had me up for using the word 'spelt' - saying it is incorrect and it is in fact spelled.... which in fact is not correct, the correct word is spelt!

Maybe they were thinking of learned and learnt? Both are considered correct in our current language system :)

I really just hate when people close their eyes when they talk about something they think they know about, all smug and stuff. Sorry its not a word i just hate smug people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back