Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah, and the one thing that bugs me the most are the people who intentionally misspell words and that type in 'text speak' in forums ie. "plz halp, ma snayk duzn lk 2 gud", and not the people who genuinely have a difficult time with grammar.

It's actually 'rhythms' but it's all good :lol:
Sorry, Thals. This was in reference to a previous thread. We were ust have a dig at each other. I think Gordo and I have now both worked out how to spell rhyme and rhythms :lol:

I had an ex-boyfriend who was a shocker for mixing metaphors. He was most likely to do this in the middle of some roaring argument, at which point, I would have to excuse myself and have a giggle in the bathroom.

My favourites were, "Kristy, you're skating on thin eggshells!" and, "You can drag a cow to the water, Kristy, but you can't shove the water up it's nose!" and, "Tigers CAN change their spots, I promise!"... :shock:

Needless to say, we're no longer an item.

My favourites were, "Kristy, you're skating on thin eggshells!" and, "You can drag a cow to the water, Kristy, but you can't shove the water up it's nose!" and, "Tigers CAN change their spots, I promise!"... :shock:

Oh my god....is it sad that your mixed metaphors reminded me of 'Kath & Kim'.... that's twice in this thread! I LOVE that show :lol:

Another one...'loosing an animal, instead of losing'

Last edited:
Adding extra letters to words that aren't meant to because it looks cool and text speak. It drives me crazy when people use 'u' instead of you, I use full punctuation, spelling and grammar in my texts, it doesn't take that much, why can't they?!

Adding extra letters to words that aren't meant to because it looks cool and text speak. It drives me crazy when people use 'u' instead of you, I use full punctuation, spelling and grammar in my texts, it doesn't take that much, why can't they?!

Me too! When people send me jokes via text, I have to 'fix them up' before I forward them... :lol:

Maybe we could start a thread "Grammar Lesson for the Week" and provide hints/lessons on a common grammatical error each week. We could cover spelling hints/tricks too.

Am I going too far here? Imagine a new person to a Python Site coming across "Grammar Lesson for the Week"

I'm pretty anal about the use of "that" and "which", as well!

THAT should be used to introduce a restrictive clause.
WHICH should be used to introduce a non-restrictive or parenthetical clause.

A restrictive clause is just part of a sentence that you can't get rid of because it specifically restricts some other part of the sentence. Here's an example: Gems that sparkle often elicit forgiveness.

The words 'that sparkle' restrict the kind of gems you're talking about. Without them, the meaning of the sentence would change. Without them, you'd be saying that all gems elicit forgiveness, not just the gems that sparkle. (And note that you don't need commas around the words that sparkle.)

Nonrestrictive Clause--Which

A nonrestrictive clause is something that can be left off without changing the meaning of the sentence. You can think of a nonrestrictive clause as simply additional information, and if using which, the information should always be written within commas. Here's an example: Diamonds, which are expensive, often elicit forgiveness.

Too much? :lol:

Oh my...

'Let's eat Grandma!' or, 'Let's eat, Grandma!' Punctuation saves lives.

This is a Facebook group that made me laugh :lol:

Another good one:
When hunting, lions hide in the bushes.
When hunting lions, hide in the bushes.
Misinterpretation between the two will result in serious injury or death.

And, my favourite....

Punctuation: the difference between responding to the question "rough night?" with "f-ing a dude" and "f-ing a, dude."

people that talk about breading their animals, if u cant spell it, DON'T DO IT!!

another good one:
when hunting, lions hide in the bushes.
when hunting lions, hide in the bushes.
misinterpretation between the two will result in serious injury or death.

And, my favourite....

Punctuation: The difference between responding to the question "rough night?" with "f-ing a dude" and "f-ing a, dude."

lol!

I have a close friend who always writes "loose" instead of 'lose' and "tones" instead of 'tonnes'. It drives me crazy but I can't bring myself to tell her.

Somethink instead of something - when spoken, obviously :lol:

:

Mine too..... all the words that end in 'ing' but are mispronounced as 'ink'... I guess it's because I had it drummed into me at school.

Last edited:
ZEE instead of ZED at the end of the alphabet.

Zee n the name of the letter z

i don't know if this has been said, were when it should be where.

Never heard Slither in that context... Id normally hear 'a little piece' , 'a smidgeon' 'a bit'... 'a small piece' LMAO .. Who uses slither these days, just as the old ladies have those sayings "as the crow flies".. maybe you need to hang out with a younger crowd & stop beating ureself up over gramma - If its short, and gets the message across..Y really Care Rite? You Know wat It Means, u know like, serially..
Anyway, Isn't Slithern a harry potter team or something.. I remember in year 2 we had those old school books learning verbs/nouns ect.. "the Snake Slithered through the grass".. yeah its very olden day lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back