Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First you cut the tree down, then you cut the tree up...

English - I give up! (or maybe down)

Nic

ps. Here's one for Dipcdame that I remember from school... "Francis' bike's wheels". Bit of everything there - plurals and ownership...

Youse. Capsicun. Punkin.

capsaicin exists (pronounced capsicun).. its just that it is often confused with capsicum that would be annoying you. (but surely you know what they mean)
capsaicin is the agent in chilli that makes it hot. this is the active ingredient in the infamous capsaicin spray not the ever more popular "capsicum spray" that would really only make your face smell funny.

my pet peeve with grammar... is mostly my inability to grasp the basics :p and people who (I'm not accusing anyone on this thread of doing such a thing, before anyone gets defensive) are too anal about it. yeah there's a degree of effort that should go into getting things right, but ease up a bit. We're not all journalists, english teachers or editors. I like to think i can have a conversation with someone about snakes without them correcting my use of (sorry Kristy) "which" or "that", which i believe i use quite effectively anyway. surely if you understand what is being said, then the purpose is achieved, isn't that the reason language evolved? Yes I understand that if we all do things properly then things become easier to interpret.. but again it all comes down to how these mistakes can alter interpretations (how servere... possibly from such little effort being applied to convey propper meaning and intent) and can understand how they can be annoying.
but the thread was about peeves and a peeve by my understanding isnt entirely rational.. like i am peeved by doctors handwriting (no effort applied for easy interpretation) because i am mostly peeved about stuff that actually matters :p

That's fine, syeph. You used "which" correctly, anyway :p

lol.. well thats all that matters then! my apologies for not using capitols at the beginning of every sentence and for my "i"'s, but my computer, which is terrible at the best of times, doesn't auto-correct for capitols (is it capitol or capital?.. i dont know because im a digital man.. i assume capital is for monitary capital, and capitol is for a capitol letter, capitol city etc.. may be wrong though).

capsaicin exists (pronounced capsicun).. its just that it is often confused with capsicum that would be annoying you. (but surely you know what they mean)
capsaicin is the agent in chilli that makes it hot. this is the active ingredient in the infamous capsaicin spray not the ever more popular "capsicum spray" that would really only make your face smell funny.
Capsaicin is actually pronounced "kap-SAY-ih-sin", but I always pronounced it "cap-say-kin" until I just looked it up. Yes I hate people who call the vegetable capsicun, same as those who call pumpkins punkins. As for capsicum spray, I remember one epic foodfight in high school when my mate Ollie got a red capsicum straight to the face.. he made it about 5 steps before keeling over clutching his face and screaming.. he was writhing around for age after that with eyes streaming. It certainly made his face more than smell funny ;)

lol.. well thats all that matters then! my apologies for not using capitols at the beginning of every sentence and for my "i"'s, but my computer, which is terrible at the best of times, doesn't auto-correct for capitols (is it capitol or capital?.. i dont know because im a digital man.. i assume capital is for monitary capital, and capitol is for a capitol letter, capitol city etc.. may be wrong though).

Hi, syeph. It's capital for both monetry and letters.

A few of us got to nit-picking each others grammar today - a pastime I enjoy immensely!

I was wondering if anyone else had any grammatical or spelling pet peeves?

My number one pet peeve is even reptile related! I :evil:HATE:evil: the common but incorrect usage of the word SLITHER. As in, people who say, "Yes, please, I'd love some cake. But, I'm watching my weight, so I'll just have a slither."

Last time I checked, snakes SLITHER, and cakes SLIVER!!!! It drives me nuts :lol: Listen out for how many people confuse these two words.

Any others? (Or am I the only grammatically-anal person on this forum? :p)
If they say slither in text then i understand, if they say slither in real life its merely a phonetic problem people have with using the "th" sound in inappropriate places. and pacific and specific thats also phonetics some people just plain have issues with the sss-puh sound you get when saying specific

I hate 'street' talk and 'msn' talk words such as but not limited to
lyk (my most hated)
dat
ther
wut
chu (i mean seriously.. chu is like a mutant off spring of what and you just type it all out for gods sake!)
I followed by things such as be and is "I be chillin" "I be the greatest" "I is the greatest"
fo
thats all i can think of right now but the list hasn't even scratched the surface

It's & Its; Too, two, & to; they're, there, & their <-- How can you not tell the difference! They're even SPELLED DIFFERENTLY!
Adding commas when they're not needed/Not adding commas when they ARE needed.
People referring to snakes as POISONOUS and then disregarding me when I correct them.
ie.
Friend: "Oh, so is your python poisonous?"
Me: "No, my PYTHON is not VENOMOUS. Pythons can't be VENOMOUS."
F: "It's all the same thing."
M: "No, it's not. Venom is injected/spit at you. Poison is eaten. Cane toads are poisonous. Snakes are venomous."
F: "Dude, no need to get so particular..."
M: *envisions injecting VENOM into their carotid artery*

It's & Its; Too, two, & to; they're, there, & their <-- How can you not tell the difference! They're even SPELLED DIFFERENTLY!
People referring to snakes as POISONOUS and then disregarding me when I correct them.
ie.
M: "No, it's not. Venom is injected/spit at you. Poison is eaten. Cane toads are poisonous. Snakes are venomous."

It's lucky that my python isn't venomous (or poisonous) because she bit herself last night!!!

ie.

I feel your pain!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back