You know you are OLD when you can remember........

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No home video games, so riding bikes (no helmets), playing footy or cricket after school or generally just getting into strife. Only rule was to be home for dinner.

Drive in theatres & playing on the swings under the screen in your pjs before the movie.

Going to Maccas was a treat for special occasions. A fancy restaurant was the local Chinese (usual order of prawn chips, sweet & sour pork, lemon chicken) or the Black Stump for birthdays. No Thai or Indian back then.

Fire cracker night. Who remembers throw downs, catherine wheels, & ball shooters? And the inevitable & dangerous home made bungers made out of the dud crackers.

Your skin sticking to cheap vinyl car seats in summer......in a new car. The smell of new car vinyl. Cars with a swing out front quarter window (that would whistle as the car went along). Leaded petrol "super".

Bob-a-job

Backyard incinerators

hrmmmm i remember when 60 cents was enough to buy a meat pie drink and packet of chups for a school lunch .....
When kids could have nutz at school, peanutbutter and honey sandwihes (ewww)
10 cent stamp to send a letter....
when Fish and chips was a meal for if money was short because it was so cheap
when men working on a farm were given a weekly meat allowance
when our family got our 1st colour tv ....
Auntie Jack on telly trying to sneak and watch it be4 dad made us turn it over
Disneyland movies on every sunday rushing to have a bath to watch them lol ....

When a 20c bag of mixed lollies would last you half the day .
Cracker night .
10c icy poles
Grabbing the fresh bread off the front door step .
The milko's cow horn
Your mates parents were Mr and Mrs Smith , not by their first names .

Last edited:
I got the strap and my mate got the cane!!!

And I remember learning to SHUT UP when that cane came out...

Now I am a teacher and they took that pleasure away from us all :(

yes felt the cane on a few occasions,nuns/teaches would be charged with assault these days. ouch, i can still feel them slim6y..

yes felt the cane on a few occasions,nuns/teaches would be charged with assault these days. ouch, i can still feel them slim6y..

I know... I don't think I would have the stomach to smash a student with a cane.... I don't even think I could send a student to someone else to do it....

However, I'd love to have the 'threat' of it - that would be enough :)

Baby sitting for a guy called Jesus.........*

*Not true

I do remember though these " Smurf" icecreams in the very early eighties. Two different colours and they had two sticks so you could break it in a half.
These lollies where you could get three different flavours, redskins, spearmint and milko's. And also "chalk" lollies.
Tab cola, Kb beer and when i first started high school you could buy a packet of Peter Jackson 15's for about $1.10 and we pooled our money together and got a kid that was 16 to buy them ( you could buy smokes at 16 then)

Last edited:
phones with a dial on the face and plugged in, no mobiles or cordless phones
milk came in bottles
another adult would give us a clip across the ear if we gave them cheek
the beaumont children dissapearing
elvis passing away
chunky knitted woolen cardies, Corduroy pants
ripples & docs
skin heads and rockers

being in grade 3 at school, heaps of us kids in the assembly area crowded around a small black & white tv watching Neil Armstrong take the first steps on the moon.....

Ahhhhh how times have changed !!
Riding the pushie all the way to newcastle breakwater and fishing till dark.......rods and buckets evrywhere..lol
Playing cricket in the street with the tele pole as the wicket [ only the dark base of the pole...lol ]
Making pinny machines out of old plyboard, nails marbles and getting all the red rubber bands from the postie.....lol
Playing marbles with all the kids in the street.
Playing catch and Kiss the the girls at school........man that was a big thing back then !!
Billy cart races down the main hill in between traffic.
Going shooting for the day and getting on public transport with the riffle and it was all good......no riffle case was required..lol
Spending time with Mum , Dad and my brother as a family, holidays.........ah, wish that was possible again................

Metro gum (had a joke on the wrapper), Bigfoot (I think it was called) ice creams, Muppet Food frozen yoghurt, Tang powdered OJ, playing British Bulldog & brandings at primary school, lemon barley was the only energy drink around (apart from the original foul Lucozade), the guy at the servo selling me smokes when I was about 8 or 9 'cause my uncle (family friend, no relation, they were all "uncles" & "aunts") sent me down with a few bucks, short & skinny red plastic skateboards, coconut oil instead of SPF 30, crystal radio set, doors open & unlocked overnight in summer, proper Southerly busters, space food sticks, garbage bins were small, round, & galvenized, there were no wheelie bins. And you had to make sure the lid was latched on so dogs & foxes couldn't get into it........

haha milk in glass bottles, I remember that. Birds would get to them as soon as they were delivered on the door step, peck a hole in the foil lid to drink the cream on top. Little buggers....

haha I think this has ceased to be a "you know you're old when..." thread & has turned into one big reminisce fest.
Ahhh....reminiscing isn't what it used to be.....;)

Last edited:
Movies where people clapped in the theatre at the end!!!

Movies when they had the cartoons as pre-entertainment - often a decent Warner bros cartoon.... Always funny (I think Monsters Inc. tried to do that recently).

Movies... Couldn't rent a video so if you missed it you missed it...

Movies... Cost (can't recall, but let's put it this way) less than $10 including movie tickets, pop-corn, drink (reasonable sized), bus fares for my brother and I!!! And Mum would ASK for the change!!!

:lol: thank you for this thread, i have been feeling 'old' recently... at least now i know i'm not alone...

i think i can tick most of those things above with the exception of 'slates at school', - you win my friend-

they should bring back deadly earnest... i loved that show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back