Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so Zobo you are saying that prevention of law breaking is not profitable for govt so they prefer you to break the law and recieve a fine to help pay for what? Desal plants that won't be used for years now, or misguided tunnels that cause more congestion than they ease, or for the privatisation of utilities that that then raise prices above anything reasonable.
And in the case stated above respect will never be gained when people are stopped on bogus claims and police are on quotas.The motto used to be " to serve and protect"
Try stopping on the side of the road with the bonnet up late at night in an area that you know has plenty of police traffic.See how long it takes for one of the helpful officers to stop and ask if they can assist in anyway.

A slight tip :take plenty of food and drink as you will probably be there all night as they drive by but don't stop.
Most of this has come about since lowering of standards for recruitment,the apptitude and attitude side of requirements being lowered the most

so Zobo you are saying that prevention of law breaking is not profitable for govt so they prefer you to break the law and recieve a fine to help pay for what? Desal plants that won't be used for years now, or misguided tunnels that cause more congestion than they ease, or for the privatisation of utilities that that then raise prices above anything reasonable.
And in the case stated above respect will never be gained when people are stopped on bogus claims and police are on quotas.The motto used to be " to serve and protect"
Try stopping on the side of the road with the bonnet up late at night in an area that you know has plenty of police traffic.See how long it takes for one of the helpful officers to stop and ask if they can assist in anyway.

A slight tip :take plenty of food and drink as you will probably be there all night as they drive by but don't stop.
Most of this has come about since lowering of standards for recruitment,the apptitude and attitude side of requirements being lowered the most

Would you like some cheese with your whine, stockhorse?

Fines and whatnot help fund the very FEW police they have on the roads. Right now there's an average of about four police per suburb in Australia, so when they're on their way to a domestic abuse callout and see someone on the side of the road with their bonnet up, guess what takes preference?

Grow up and look at the bigger picture. Orders come from the top, not from the foot soldiers.

I'm sure you'd be the first to complain when they're pulled off the streets all together as well.

Edit: also, they have to fine people for absolute garbage because of State Government. It's not the police, it's the government in power at any given time. THEY give the orders for new speed cameras, red light cameras, and new laws. So before you rant and rave about police officers, take a look at the law makers in your state.

Last edited:
thanks, many people have misguided uneducated views on the whole police revenue stuff, including quotas.....what a load of rubbish there is no such thing as quotas....show me proof otherwise?

tax funds a lot more than what was stated, and keeps a lot of the anti-police dole bludgers in the lifestyle they seem to enjoy etc. I agree that the governments stuff up a lot and I am not happy with Qld government myself and I can tell you now that many public servants in Qld such as Police/Qld health etc etc hate the current government for screwing them over with pay etc so you are preaching to the converted.

If you do some research you wil find it is actually NOT permitted for the police to get any of the fines they collect to prevent police issuing too many etc for their own gain and the police have a set budget each year etc regardless of the revenue raised.

people rant rubbish all day without knowing what its like or having any knowledge to base their 'urban myth' claims of 'this happened to a friend of a friend and the copper was a %$$#'

what you also don't hear is the other side of the story (the police side) as everyone feels hard done by when they get fined, but they dont tell you they were rude and abusive to the police as that just gets in way of a good story!

LOL

j

I think you got police mixed up with RACQ!

LOL

if police had to help out every stranded motorist you WOULD be waiting months as there are not enough police to do the real job they have to do

j

Crystal discus,your reading comprehension seems to be a little off.Wasn't the first part of my post stating that govt was more interested in revenue raising than prevention? I didn't say it was police raising revenue for their own use.
Of course there are priorities in policing but less than 5% of any police activity is of an urgent or semi-urgent nature.
And as regard that the orders come from the top that is correct but, the attitude and discretion comes from the foot soldiers and police as any other profession need to earn respect not demand it as a right that goes with the uniform.

Zobo I was a serving member for well over a decade and every performance report includes the number of bookings for what offences.If you are well below the 'average" then it is "suggested" that increasing the numbers to the 'average" level or above would help your promotion and career prospects.If you don't do as "suggested" you may well find yourself transferred to a station further from home or to other less desirable duties.I have sat in many briefings where you are told the acceptable number of bookings for certain offences for that week.
With regard to the RACQ comment it is also the police officers obligation to ensure that a person or persons are not left in a situation that could behome hazardous.So a quick 2 minute stop to ensure that you are ok is doing just that.
I have not been a serving member for over 20 years but I still am amazed at the arogance and rudness of some officers today...............note I said some not all as there are some very dedicated officers out there putting up with the crap created for them by other not so diligent officers.

Never been booked, but I remember many moons ago travelling on a bus in Bangkok, hanging out of the door (with others, 3 deep) with 1 hand and 1 foot in contact with the vehicle. That means at least 6 people with 95% of their bodies "outside the window or the door".

Should I 'fess up to the BKK coppers? Although I think 30 years is well past the statute of limitations for such matters .....

The police have to persecute some in order to send a message to the rest! Personally, I think some fines are a bit high but more often than not the penalty is not severe enough. You hear of people driving without a licence (no insurance obviously) that cop punishments far less than what they deserve. If I were involved in an accident with them, I would be out of pocket and my insurance premiums would increase even if it isn't my fault! I can't afford to file a civil suit, and even if I do, who says they have money to pay? When people who have been drinking drive, they endanger MY life! How is it fair that they get a small fine and don't lose their licence (within reason obviously)? Police cop all the flak from the public and without them society would crumble. I've heard some of the abuse they endure on a day-to-day basis, if I had people speaking to me like that I would definitely not be as polite as the bulk of the police force are. Is it that hard to keep your arm in the window? Heard of air-con? The only reason you'd do it is to pose. I don't know anybody who is impressed by that, so why do it? If it is against the law and you make the conscious decision not to abide by it, take the fine, you deserve it. Live with the consequences of your actions, you have nobody to blame but yourself.

I received my first ever speeding ticket in october this year, they said i was going 64 in a 60 zone. So I just wrote up a little letter saying that I was indeed speeding and that it was my first offence. As such I got an official warning and I didn't have to pay a cent :). Trust me when you're a victim of crime, you'll be happy to have the cops around!

a lot has changed in 20 years, thats like basing your knowledge of computers on a Commodore 64 compared to an IPAD. Nowadays with the difference in community standards, diff police training, management, unions, CMC, civil libertarians etc, the rules are a lot different to the old days of kicking kids bums and sending them home. It still would have been a force back then not a service.

In a 24 hr society, yes police have a duty of care, but they also have to triage that duty and deal with the ever increasing calls for service etc. In Qld alone this year they have hit over 1 million reported offences (Logan alone regularly gets 1500+ calls per day to comms for assistance with about 5-6 cars (district total) on road at a time)

I do agree that a few silly police spoil it for most as the majority are good honest hard working family people just doing a job that is thankless, stressfull and emotionally draining.

jas

Crystal discus,your reading comprehension seems to be a little off.Wasn't the first part of my post stating that govt was more interested in revenue raising than prevention? I didn't say it was police raising revenue for their own use.
Of course there are priorities in policing but less than 5% of any police activity is of an urgent or semi-urgent nature.
And as regard that the orders come from the top that is correct but, the attitude and discretion comes from the foot soldiers and police as any other profession need to earn respect not demand it as a right that goes with the uniform.

Zobo I was a serving member for well over a decade and every performance report includes the number of bookings for what offences.If you are well below the 'average" then it is "suggested" that increasing the numbers to the 'average" level or above would help your promotion and career prospects.If you don't do as "suggested" you may well find yourself transferred to a station further from home or to other less desirable duties.I have sat in many briefings where you are told the acceptable number of bookings for certain offences for that week.
With regard to the RACQ comment it is also the police officers obligation to ensure that a person or persons are not left in a situation that could behome hazardous.So a quick 2 minute stop to ensure that you are ok is doing just that.
I have not been a serving member for over 20 years but I still am amazed at the arogance and rudness of some officers today...............note I said some not all as there are some very dedicated officers out there putting up with the crap created for them by other not so diligent officers.

I think the worst one is the speeding Vs no seatbelt no seatbelt is more demerits and a bigger fine than speeding in some cases, Speeding=endangering others No seatbelt= endangering yourself. kinda stupid, I still wear a seatbelt but I think its just revenue raising BS

I think the worst one is the speeding Vs no seatbelt no seatbelt is more demerits and a bigger fine than speeding in some cases, Speeding=endangering others No seatbelt= endangering yourself. kinda stupid, I still wear a seatbelt but I think its just revenue raising BS

I think they use the large fine not to catch people, but to deter people. If it was a smaller fine then people may take less heed of the seatbelt rule.

Okay, at the end of each month each police officer needs to have met thier quota of fines. So that is why he would have been nit picking and fined such a large amount. Each officer needs to raise an X amount of revenue each month. They are basically, backwards salesmen

a lot has changed in 20 years, thats like basing your knowledge of computers on a Commodore 64 compared to an IPAD.

sorry but an ipad is not a computer in any degree. all it is, is a big version of a ipod touch

sorry but an ipad is not a computer in any degree. all it is, is a big version of a ipod touch

I was just refering to technology difference as an example.
It may not be a computer but has thousands times the ability/tech of the old commodore ;)

Okay, at the end of each month each police officer needs to have met thier quota of fines. So that is why he would have been nit picking and fined such a large amount. Each officer needs to raise an X amount of revenue each month. They are basically, backwards salesmen

where were you mis-informed of this info? tell me exactly where you heard this rubbish...there is no quotas people, but if you get pulled up and give attitude then expect a ticket....play nice and show respect and it may come back at you with just a warning!
Yes some traffic police do go out and write a lot of tickets as guess what??? thats their JOB and they don't do general duties etc, so they spend the whole shift enforcing traffic laws...

honestly its like butting your head against a wall sometimes.

I'm off this thread as too much urban legend rubbish for me

j

I saw a cop chuck a u-turn at a traffic light while on his handheld mobile phone a while ago...

I think they use the large fine not to catch people, but to deter people. If it was a smaller fine then people may take less heed of the seatbelt rule.
But wouldn't you rather deter them from speeding?? the seatbelt rule is stupid people are stupid enough to go without then they deserve to get injured. People should wear them out of commonsense if they don't then thats their problem.

the seatbelt rule is stupid people are stupid enough to go without then they deserve to get injured. People should wear them out of commonsense if they don't then thats their problem.

The cost to the community of such injuries can be substantial - there is a lot more to most things than you seem to realise.

Also, agree with zobo and brodak on this one...

But wouldn't you rather deter them from speeding?? the seatbelt rule is stupid people are stupid enough to go without then they deserve to get injured. People should wear them out of commonsense if they don't then thats their problem.

I'd assume the smaller fines are because they accept that most people will speed at some time and it is a very common infraction. Some may be accidental, we all know how easy it is to sneak 10km over the limit. Hoons (excessive speeding + idiotic drivers) or repeat offenders = heavier fines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back