considering a common tree snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats the go with keeping 2 tree snakes together? Is it generally frowned upon like pythons etc, or because these guys are smaller and eat frogs/fish, would the be safe together?

Whats the go with keeping 2 tree snakes together? Is it generally frowned upon like pythons etc, or because these guys are smaller and eat frogs/fish, would the be safe together?

They can try to eat each other (which may kill both), especially if you arnt watching them feed. I have had to stop mine from eating each other a few times and i keep them seperate most of the time.

Wow I should have checked back on this thread sooner!!

Can I firstly say OMG about the pic of the blue snake - it is STUNNING!!!! I had no idea they came in blue!

On the subject of venomous - as far as the opinions here and my other research it appears if they are the worst case scenario wouldn't cause me too much trouble but realistically if you are smart (aware) and don't give it a reason or opportunity to bite you there's nothing to worry about so it's not an issue I am concerned with.

The one I saw in a store a while ago (no, it wasn't for sale!) was feeding on Platy fish, the store owner I respect his knowledge so my plan (if I get one) is to feed them platys. But I will take note not to treat them or add anything to the water in the snake's tank.

What sort of temperate range should they have? And is humidity a concern?

temperature range.. well i have a hot end of about 31 and a cool end of 23ish and that seems to go quite well for them. humidity isnt really an issue with them, the humidity in my enclosure is quite low, but i know people who keep them in fish tanks with a water bottom and foliage above and they are going strong in there too. make sure you use vitamin powder if you feed fish. at least once a month, batter a fish in vitamin powder before feeding it (advice i was given and things are going good)
(last pic is quite dark, she is coming up for a shed)
View attachment 155499
View attachment 155497View attachment 155498

I can't see your pics Syeph8, it says they're invaild attachments :S

fish feeding

Just wondering how you feed the fish to the snake? Do you put a bowl of water, with the fish in it, in there and let the snake fish for it, or is it dropped on the floor flopping around?

can go either way, generally faster if its flopping around, or you can hold the fish by its tail and they will sometimes take it out of your hand. i tend to do the flop method or the bowl of water method, depending on how much time i have and the situation at the time. thats just mine though, others may have their own methods, but mine will not eat if there is not movement, in fact will sometimes stop swallowing until the fish starts moving again.

I leave fish in the in a shallow dish that's deep enough to only just cover the feeder.
If I have time I put the fish in tweezers or my fingers and it eats out of my hand like this.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Does the "common tree snake scientist name is : Dendrelaphis punctulata ???

Sometimes it's hard to understand which snake you are talking too as here we usually use scientists name, not the common ones. :D

Cyril

yes dendrelaphis punctulata.

there was a little side-note somewhere that I read on a fact sheet or research article/book (where is not important) but it said that although it is called dendrelaphis punctulata, it should be called dendreliaphis punctulatus because its not correct use of gender or something and the scientific name doesnt make sense as is. I find these things interesting, even if no-one else does!

Upmarket pets in Melbourne has a stunning gold phase for sale for $600 ATM. Beautiful specimen. I was very tempted myself but just don't have the room.

theres two of them
ones most likely a female the other unknown.

The female is about on metre the other is about 60cm.
Feeding on goldfish and platy's respectfully.
Both are 600 and one is on hold to a guy in Brisbane who lives in my house.:p

well I might have to give them a call tomorrow and try snap the other up .... cheers :)

Ive heard on here that they are rear fanged or something mildly venomous and the only way to get bitten is to literally shove your finger down there mouth.
thats pretty much the quote off what this fella said.

Ive heard on here that they are rear fanged or something mildly venomous and the only way to get bitten is to literally shove your finger down there mouth.
thats pretty much the quote off what this fella said.

They have some enlarged back teeth but they are still very small, made for restraining, maybe slicing, envomating and deflating frogs so they can be eaten. Defintaely no risk to human health without an extremely rare posibilty of hypersensitivity or maybe if you get a feeding bite on the eyeball :lol:

As I understand the major problem with feeding goldfish is that they are filthy animals bred in horrible conditions generally... also I have heard they have very high levels of thiaminase which can lead to thiamine deficiency.

You could not be more right. I am still learning about snakes, but I am a "official fish nerd" I had huge tanks before I had to move, and "monster fish"... Gold fish a naturally unhealthy, dirty, high in fat and lack a nutrients. Im not sure if they are commonly available out there but Guppys are a cheap safe alternative and they have a lot smoother, slimer, easier to swallow body.

Platys, or other small TROPICAL fish will easily work also just be more expensive. Even fry from larger species will work. You can usually purchase fry for really cheap.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back