considering a common tree snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrysophylax

Not so new Member
Reaction score
i've recently moved to VIC where my licence includes the common tree snake which i've wanted for some time now- i love their big eyes, skinny body and nice colours and that they eat fish not mice.
before i get one i want to know as much as i can.
firstly is there a particular time of year hatchlings usually start selling or are they available all year round?
for a tank i was thinking maybe 2ft wide x 3ft high with lots of vines and some water at the bottom for feeder fish - would that be appropriate ?
any tips or important info i should know? my boyfriend and i already have a blothed blue tongue skink, heaps of fish, 2 green and gold growling grass frogs (and their tadpoles!) but this would be our first snake.

Sounds like you've done a bit of homework cp. It may not be the ideal species as a first snake, but if you're switched on it should be OK. Just make sure that any treesnake you purchase is from someone who knows the species well, has got the baby feeding freely, and can be available to advise if you need it.

CTS arnt venomous, and the biggest worry is there feeding response, they are very picky snakes for maybe not the best first snake. and if you do get one, try find some one who has a sub adult or an adult because they will most likley be eating better than a hatchling. apart from the feeding they are actually very easy to keep, a 3x3x2ft enclosure would be prefect enclosure for them
cheers malik

Only person I know of that has some is sye think his name on here is syeth I know others have them and yeh try having a dig threw this forum and fond sye I'm sure he will be more then happy to help u with one

I don't think they were implying that you were stupid.
There is a massive debate on wether they are venomous or not.
Many threads on it, much blood spilt (not really).

its brown tree snake, redbellybite is right, they have mild vemon to kill its prey,but
its not harmful to people.bec137 thats fine you got a bit confused i can see why :D

bec137 thats fine you got a bit confused i can see why :D
I thought i read somewhere, might have been on here actually, about someone who was out looking for snakes and was bitten on the hand by one and it swelled up and he got sick, not deadly sick, but ill. That's where the comment came from.

Hi I own a juv they are not the best first they are very shy and don't liked to touched even looked I have talked to people who have owned many and they can have stress attacks and die that' sounds horriable but that happened toSome extramly experencie. Reptile keepers . That doesnt mean it wll happen and as other have said feeding can be an issue and they are easy snakes to find and the most common one youfind will a golden phase and you should pay around 500 to 600 for them . Good luck if you do deside to try and buy one

golden phase and you should pay around 500 to 600 for them
Where!

I wouldnt be weaning them onto rodents untill there quite large as well.
I dont think their bodies are meant for them...but each to their own.

Make sure u post pics wen and if u do get one and good stuff bout reading up on them heaps of people do and then u get that lot that don't (not pointing fingers lol it's only pointed at me ) maybe I should

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back