considering a common tree snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Might help you decide what you want :p
32271_401621314434_534374434_3937689_4070679_n.jpg

32271_401621344434_534374434_3937693_1585326_n.jpg

I'm feeding him on fish and the Asian House Geckos around the house

I payed 600 for mine as a juv and mainly fish and rodents can be feed but no hair it can clog up there intestional track

arent they mildly poisonous?

All colubrids are venomous in some respect. Some seem to have substances that simply help digestion so it is more similar to saliva but could still be considered venom since it comes from a separate "venom" gland

Common Tree Snakes are awesome, apart from what has already been mentioned they are extremely quick and agile so you need to be really swithched on and fairly quick to be able to handle them without them escaping or being harmed.

As far as feeding them goes, i dont know if anyone knows what is best(well apart from frogs which are illegal as food in most if not all states). I have heard of them dieing from eating furry rodents and live fish (suspected to be from aquarium medications and i also think fins may cause damage if the snake swallows them backwards or tries to regugite). I feed mine on a variety of foods including pink rats, day old quail, poultry necks, strips of meat (including fish) with supplements and Asian House Geckos.

All colubrids are venomous in some respect. Some seem to have substances that simply help digestion so it is more similar to saliva but could still be considered venom since it comes from a separate "venom" gland

I believe there are some exceptions overseas where they lack venom and use only constriction, i dont know much about exotics but Aussie Colubrids including common tree snakes and slatey greys are venomous. Im yet to see it written in any books etc. but it is beyond any doubt.

Although being mildly venomous (poisonous is an accpetable word but less accurate) Common Tree Snakes are harmless to humans, with possible exception to allergic reaction which as far as i know hasnt been recorded ever. There was a member here who had a bad reaction to a Brown Tree Snake though.

Have a look at this thread Dr. Byran Fry explains things better than i can. There is also info about the non venomous Colubrids on this site.
Venomdoc Forums :: View topic - Venomous Australian Colubrids.

(suspected to be from aquarium medications and i also think fins may cause damage if the snake swallows them backwards or tries to regugite)
It caan happen people!!!! Make a note of it. I sure have :| Dont EVER feed GTS fish with SHARP or dominant PROTRUDING dorsal fins or pectoral fins!

buy one thats feeding on fish, direct wild caught can be finicky but once settled in they are great! some of mine will take food right out of my hand! older photos of mine but they come in excellent colours!

yellowblak.jpg

blacktreesnake2-1.jpg

newgolden-1.jpg

bluey1.jpg

treesnakecolirs5.jpg

I have been searching for a hatchling for a few months now and can't seem to find any advertised,are they are rare snake to find for sale?

Quote from Dottyback:p
it's not what you know it's who you know

hahaha

Get onto Reedy's or better yet the Reptile Research centre. Also amazing amazon has some sometimes.

buy one thats feeding on fish, direct wild caught can be finicky but once settled in they are great! some of mine will take food right out of my hand! older photos of mine but they come in excellent colours!

Stunning blue-phase Dottyback!

Been considering getting one for the past 6 months now. I just love the way they look, they are insane, and so many different colors.
Is there any fish that are more beneficial or just ordinary gold fish be fine to feed them? Any fish to stay away from?
Does any one know where theres any for sale? Cant say ive seen any for sale in VIC apart from the one in the for sale section at the moment with the massive scar on it.

Any fish to stay away from?

Ones that have spikey dorsal or pectoral fins and fish that are shaped like
angelfish.gif

I've been feeding mine on Gambusia that you can catch from most waterways with a simple bait fish trap (cost like $10 from Kmart). I also feed them Asian House Geckos (dont think you guys get them do you?)

When mine are larger I'll be feeding them gold fish and of course larger asian house geckos.

No idea :S
I would only try fresh water but I really dont have any idea.
Ask Cris, Dottyback, NicG, Trueblue or Kenshin

yea will ask if i get back on tonight... but right now have to go feed a python

Cool thanks for the reply jannico. Now just to find some for sale..... and to convince my folks. I should just move out... would be much easier lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back