Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Womaman, instead of posting insults, you should give advice on how it's done better. I did.

Cape like super hero.

Seeing as I threw the first stone I should explain that what you did Jerryb was the right thing to do. Legalities aside, a lot of people would just kill it, and you help it. You got it moved on to a safer place to finish digesting the neighbours pets and it will live quite well for another year, even without eating, after that huge meal.
For her first call out well... she got crapped on. But she had a go, and the end result was good. I have a lot of respect for volunteer rescuers, I've been one for years and now train them, but the main thing is that over time if she does enough diamonds she will work out how to handle them gently (or maybe someone from Sydney Wildlife will show her) so they don't crap on you. They are a harmless snake, but can give a nip, but the worst you'll get is a slight bacterial infection that will be gone after a day. I have never been tagged by a wild diamond and have moved on some with bellies full just like that one, it is quite easy to avoid a bite when you know what your doing and aren't scared. I think that a scared handler transmits that to a snake through their handling methods, hence the nippy and the crapping.
Overall, a good deed was done, and both you and the rescuer should be proud!

S You got it moved on to a safer place to finish digesting the neighbours pets and it will live quite well for another year, even without eating, after that huge meal.

Are you serious? Can they last that long on a big meal? That is pretty bloody impressive! (I don't know much about snakes. Am finding this forum fascinating).

yep.

I have one that was a bit obese when I bought her, so I fed her a rabbit in Dec 09 (lean meat, lots of goodness, little fat)
and nothing else for a year. By June she had slimmed down and was looking good and the males thought so, she went on to lay 50 eggs this just gone new years day. She ate 3 small rats 4 weeks before laying.She's digesting an adult rabbit right now too!

NO-ONE FLAMED HER ...but good catching advise was given and if Jerry still has her number she maybe able now to actually give her a call and talk to her about what she has read for NEXT time ...HOOP BAG and a bit of of coersion would have seen that HEAVILY FOOD FILLED python go in to the bag without to much stress ..It has nothing to do with supercape wearers or tossy attitudes,it has to do with whats best for both the snake catcher and snake ..and this advice was coming from SNAKE CATCHERS as myself and some others that have been doing it for years now and actually KNOW a bit more then some ARMCHAIR members on here ...

Some simple advice, NEVER touch the tail of a snake, it is called pre-cloacal handling, this means gently grabbing the body forward of its backside for those who do not know, this snake should have been easy to bag with a simple hook and bag or gentle mid body pick up, the head is not a great place either, it is not often that that is required especially when they are obviously digesting food, this increase in stress can lead to regurgitation of the food......my question is WHO trained her to handle snakes in this manner? Perhaps they need to review training methods, if this is her first job, I'm glad it was a simple python. This is not the first time a person trained in NSW has had very poor handling skills that has actually passed a handling course in NSW......remember the Red Belly on Bondi Rescue?!?!?!?!?!

By no means is this a criticism of the woman catching the snake!!!!......this is why I didn't sell the course to the interested group in NSW when we finally achieved our National Training Recognition.

Last edited:
I am starting courses in elapid handling. One day out in the paddock, no hooks, jiggers or high boots, no certificate, no insurance and no guarantee. Those afraid of snakes may not apply
Cost: a carton of good red.

Cape-wearing super-hero Pty/Ltd

Taicatch.jpg

I am starting courses in elapid handling. One day out in the paddock, no hooks, jiggers or high boots, no certificate, no insurance and no guarantee. Those afraid of snakes may not apply
Cost: a carton of good red.

Cape-wearing super-hero Pty/Ltd

Taicatch.jpg

Good one Michael .

Nice big diamond, good on you for getting someone to come out and relocate it rather than the other methods that some people use :(

if Jerry still has her number she maybe able now to actually give her a call and talk to her about what she has read for NEXT time

Hmmm. Imagine doing a job yourself and then a week later the chick who was trembling in the back ground as you bagged the snake rang up up and says "I remember that snake you caught for me? Well I've been reading on the internet and you did it all wrong."... "Apparently you need a cape...."

Last edited:
batta, should we have said "good on ya girl, you've done wonderful job, do it just like that next time"? No one was rude or even harsh on her and if she has got her head screwed on the right way, she won't be offended with some of the remarks here. She doesn't need a cape but you need to take your pink glasses off. I guess some of us weren't "nice enough". I don't think she is going to take home much from your post.
Funny world we live in.

I'm sure she went home and thought "I could have done that better" Probably rang her instructor or whatever and said "Geez I had a hard one what should I have done differently." She might even have come on here to read through the advice

I just find it funny how we bag 2 min internet experts and then advise this Jerrie to call the volunteer back up and offer advice, she read on the internet.

In the words of Edna Mode "No Capes!"

That poor snake will no doubt die after being handled like this :lol: A good snake catcher would have convinced you to leave it there and would have no reason to touch it at all.

That poor snake will no doubt die after being handled like this :lol: A good snake catcher would have convinced you to leave it there and would have no reason to touch it at all.

Ok, next time I will leave it there for my 2 year old to harass. Doesn't really matter if he gets bitten. He will be ok...

This thread has got a bit out of hand I think. All in all alot of us would handle the situation differently and would be stoked if a Diamond rocked up in our backyard and most likely be more than happy to leave it. But if it poses a threat like in Jerrys case something had to be done.

Thumbs up Jerry....

Cris, I highly doubt it will die from the re location, im sure its a happy snake with a full belly.

P.S. Im still not man enough to feed all my snakes bare handed. Some things with Pythons I find better
using tools.

OBVIOUSLY BATTLA...YOU CANT READ AND UNDERSTAND WHAT SOME OF US WERE SAYING!!!

I said some of us ARE SNAKE CATCHERS and have been doing it for years ..so this was advise that would help the catcher next time or anyone else that may be starting out as a catcher ..no one flamed Jerry at all ,she only called to have it removed we were simply pointing out that the catcher could have made it easier on herself and DEFINANTLY the snake if she took the advise that was written on this thread ...now I really hope you understood this time while sitting back in your armchair!!

And if Jerry does speak to her ,I hope she does tell her about this forum...

Cris, I highly doubt it will die from the re location, im sure its a happy snake with a full belly.

was joking, while its not exactly ideal handling its not really going to bother the snake.

A diamond python wont hurt a 2 year old kid, if they have a guardian to watch them. That said you did the right thing and they did their best catch it.

OBVIOUSLY BATTLA...YOU CANT READ AND UNDERSTAND WHAT SOME OF US WERE SAYING!!!

Apparently it's much clearer in capitals with multiple exclamation marks!!!...!!!

I DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING AGAINST THE ADVICE GIVEN RE REMOVAL TECHNIQUES. I JUST FOUND THE IDEA OF A NOVICE CALLING AND GIVING ADVICE BASED ON WHAT SHE READ ON THE INTERNET FUNNY.

Seriously how would you take it if someone did that after one of your jobs? Going solely by how defensive you got over a tongue in check post by a complete stranger on an internet forum I'm guessing it wouldn't go down to well.

*It was stunning looking snake.
*Jerry did the right thing getting it removed and posting pics.
*People offered handy advice on how the removal may have been better executed.
If you took your own advice and read and understood my post you'd see I didn't have any arguments on the above points.

and my arm chair is comfy but terrible for typing from

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back