Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
not in that pic. If you click on them they come up bigger. It did crap on her later

I think the neighbours bunny. They intelligently "liberated" two of them a few months back. Haven't seen them in a while

Yep looks like it got both rabbits as the first one is already digested and making its way down to the cloaca via the intestines, you can see the bulge just before the vent, and the second one is in the stomach.
Its a shame that the handler wasn't more gentle with it, I can tell by those photo's that she stressed that snake pretty badly.

The only time I consider it ok to head grab a diamond is for medical treatment, or to get it out of a roof, and thats only if it keeps grabbing timbers.

maybe it was her first time and she was nervous ? dont usually need a hook with carpets as such just gently pick them up and place them in the bag .. anyway nice python

It was her first wild capture. The snake wasn't cooperating either. She tried to do it without grabbing the head. It was a little narky and was rather large for the pillow case.
A couple of minutes on a heat pad and the snake was released in the bush behind my house. Slithered off happily

I trust the snake handler is appropriately qualified but hey, why the hook, why holding its neck, why tail handling at all (with a belly full)?

Good to hear she was released in the bush.... i'd love to have that in my garden!

I reckon if I had trouble getting a wild python that was trying to constrict my arm and trying to bite me, I wouldn't be exactly cuddling it into a bag :lol: she really had not much choice. she tried it all and resorted to the hook as a last resort.
She did a good job in my eyes.:D

Best way would have been to use a bag on a frame and convince it to crawl in. When they have had a heavy meal, like that one had, then they can't move quickly and tend to get cranky.
And what's the legality of liberating bunnies? I'm sure that there would be some pretty heavy penalties.

First of all, she should have come up with a large hoop bag and not a pillow slip. You stretch the bag out (close to the snake's head) making it look like a tunnel and then gently tickle the snake with hand or a hook if necessary. They almost always go into the darkness of the "tunnel" voluntarily. That would be my preferred method. I used to catch taipans like that, holding the tail up high and letting the snake "escape" into the dark bag.
No need to tail handle diamond and certainly not any snake with a large food item in it's stomach. What happens if you stand on your head after big meal? It goes back to your throat. LOL

I reckon if I had trouble getting a wild python that was trying to constrict my arm and trying to bite me, I wouldn't be exactly cuddling it into a bag :lol: she really had not much choice. she tried it all and resorted to the hook as a last resort.
She did a good job in my eyes.:D

She may not have felt there was a choice at the time but with the answers just given she now has another and better option to use next time.

I think some of you need to wear a Cape like a superhero Dut dideee dahh and go show these people how to pick up wild pythons. Shes new at it, I was a bit scared of big snakes in the early days when they got all flighty on me. At least its still alive and has not been killed like some other boofheaded red necked fraidy puppets that live amongst us. Go Jerry Go Jerry

And what's the legality of liberating bunnies? I'm sure that there would be some pretty heavy penalties.

I totally agree, not only is it cruel to let animals that have been raised as domestic pets go into the wild, but it is also environmentally irresponsible! I did let the neighbours know my thoughts on the matter. Actually, I think it should be illegal to keep vermin as pets, but that is another story.

---------- Post added 19-Jan-11 at 07:27 PM ----------

Thanks Womaman, but It wasn't me picking up the snake. I was the girl on the sidelines freaking out watching the other brave woman handling the pisssssssssed off python. In my eyes, anyone who volunteers for Sydney Wildlife rescuing animals rocks!

Jerry, Thats what i was trying to put across to everyone that you took the time to get someone else out to move the diamond on to a safer area. Totally agree anyone who puts in volunteer time to rescue animals of any kind deserves recognition even if it does not fit in with some cape wearing bandits ideals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back