Just want some info on Gtp's

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Luke, my honest advice is - stay away from GTPs. I am saying this for the sake of the snakes. Get a dog instead, it may even fetch the beer for you.
Do you have any experience with keeping snakes? Any species?

Agreed. Mate snakes are not pets that you sit out on the patio with or watch telly with, as Michael said, get a dog...

Can't a bloke even put his feet up in front of the tele havin a beer whilst holding a Green tree python at the end of a hard day?

Last edited:
Agreed. Mate snakes are not pets that you sit out on the patio with or watch telly with, as Michael said, get a dog...

But you cant wrap a dog around your windsrceen wipers,GTPs are made for it !

I own a blonde spotted and a jungle, and I can watch tv and have a beer whilst holding either of these snakes, what does a collete look like?

Mate, unless you want to sit and watch TV with a yellow hatchling, the size of a shoelace, an adult or even advanced yearling would cost you quite a bit of money. Why not to get an old carpet for a fraction of the price? The same feel, the same effect.

I own a blonde spotted and a jungle, and I can watch tv and have a beer whilst holding either of these snakes, what does a collete look like?

Why not?

Just to add on the that, I'm not talking about holding it for hours, like an hour max

Mate, unless you want to sit and watch TV with a yellow hatchling, the size of a shoelace, an adult or even advanced yearling would cost you quite a bit of money. Why not to get an old carpet for a fraction of the price? The same feel, the same effect.

Why not?

The reason I started this thread is just for info, I just wanted to hear peoples thoughts and personal experiences, I've just always loved the Gtp's and there colours and wanted to clarify if they would be right for me, which after all the comments I would say there not

Last edited:
Go the Collete's, Very pretty snake, it will sit on the couch with you and when you "doze" off while feeling a little woozie it will find a nice warm spot to curl up in and leave you to sleep!

I am nit having a go at you but can I ask why would you choose these species (GTP, scrubby)? Neither of them are easy to keep over long period of time.

Don't you just love teaching newbies to get vens?

Gtp's have always fascinated me, just there color, being local to up here and just everything about them and I will admit I have been turned on and turned off by them over the years, so after joining Aussie pythons ( for a different reason) id thought I'd finally clarify everything,

And scrubs I don't have a clue about yet, like i said I haven't looked into them yet but I've caught a released so many of them, ( I'm no professional snake remover but I've saved many snakes from angry house owners haha) they are just beautiful big snakes.

Why are scrubs hard to keep in the long run?

Last edited:
Why are scrubs hard to keep in the long run?

Their size, long term enclosure requirements & the fact they more often than not have a poor disposition in captivity (to name a few).
Greens, Olives, Scubs... I think you really need to do some research (which I see you are) on all these species & decide which animal you are best suited to. Right now you sound a little like a kid in a lollie shop (or someone whos just got the herp bug, & trust me I get it!).

I respect Michael as much as anyone in herp, & Greg Maxwell, they both believe in the "look but dont touch" attitude with Green Pythons. I basically keep mine this way, choosing to have a beer infront of their enclosures on dusk & watching them wake up for the night!

But if someone had one as more of a pet, I really don't see the issue with them handling it in a relaxed environment/way 2 or 3 times a week for 30 minutes or so (probably after they are 6 months to a year old though). In fact I think the little extra exercise could do them good with body tone & maybe even bowel movements (not that you want that?), also stimulating the senses.

My experiance with native GTPs is that they have all had a beautiful disposition.

Thanks for the post, I can see it myself to, that I'm like a kid in a lollie shop, I'm just wanting to add to my collection and are trying to get some info on beatiful snakes that I would love to have, and really the only thing that would turn me off is handling, I know scrubs, olives, and all those big beauties can have there spurts and are dangerous when they do, I know a little on most pythons but not enough to make a decision, there are a couple snakes I want some info on hahaha, I don't know what flavour lollie I want yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back