Just want some info on Gtp's

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

luke_cairns_QLD

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been wondering lately how hard are Gtp's to keep and breed and all that, I've herd some things that make them out to be " the hardest python " to handle, I've always wanted one but been turned off by what people have said about them can someone please clarify?

Water rat has put together some good sources/info, gtp fact sheet, a sticky at the top of the Australian snakes page

They are not that hard if you do your research, just different to other pythons.
Search Green Python or Morelia viridis on this site, look for past issues of Reptiles Australia or Scales & Tails magazines, buy the book "The More Complete Chondro" by Greg Maxwell.
There really is plenty of good information out there, you just have to look harder.
The answer to your question is too long for a thread on a forum.

i have been told that bhp are harder to keep and breed then green tree pythons

Being in Cairns, GTP would be easier to keep than BHP.

Thanks all for your feedback it's helped alot, there just two main questions left, with the temptature and humidity? would I need to add fake humidifiers and temp changers etc ( me living in cairns and cage most likely going to be outside) and the other question if about the handling, ive read everywhere that there a " look don't touch" species, in personal experiences if I raise one from a hatchling do they get used to being held?

well if you live in cairns and they are going to be outside, waterrat would be the one to talk to.

:shock: Christ, don't say that! I have been called an elitist, chondro police, big breeder .... a few other cuddly names as well but this is a new one.

Have a look at my web site, it's packed with info now.

I've read your fact sheets n all that, I plan to do a similar thing ( smaller scale oviously ) as you, but you personally, handling wise, can they become comfortable handlers

Yeh defs waterat

Bahahahaha d3, I love you display pic, haha classic bro

I've read your fact sheets n all that, I plan to do a similar thing ( smaller scale oviously ) as you, but you personally, handling wise, can they become comfortable handlers

I can only speak for the native GTPs, they are placid and can be easily handled. However, they are not the sort of a snake you would wear around your neck to show off to the girls or drag it around for hours. Theyr'e nocturnal animals and they don't like to be disturbed too much in daylight hours just like you wouldn't like to be woken up at night.
So, now you tell me, how do you envisage handling a GTP and why is handling important to you? What's your definition of "comfortable handlers"?

I can only speak for the native GTPs, they are placid and can be easily handled. However, they are not the sort of a snake you would wear around your neck to show off to the girls or drag it around for hours. Theyr'e nocturnal animals and they don't like to be disturbed too much in daylight hours just like you wouldn't like to be woken up at night.
So, now you tell me, how do you envisage handling a GTP and why is handling important to you? What's your definition of "comfortable handlers"?
Handling is big to me because I like to feel close to my pets and have an interaction with them ( besides feeding time haha), and a comfortable handler to me is one that I can come home ( around 6pm ) to and pick up, sit front of the Telly for a while with or just have a beer on the padio while holding

Handling is big to me because I like to feel close to my pets and have an interaction with them ( besides feeding time haha), and a comfortable handler to me is one that I can come home ( around 6pm ) to and pick up, sit front of the Telly for a while with or just have a beer on the padio while holding

Ever thought about getting a Collete snake? their great handlers and have awesome colours...
A GTP will not be happy about being held in front of a telly or while your having a beer, their just not that into you/us.

But a collete... their like puppies ;)

Ever thought about getting a Collete snake? their great handlers and have awesome colours...
A GTP will not be happy about being held in front of a telly or while your having a beer, their just not that into you/us.

But a collete... their like puppies ;)

I too have heard that, would recommend and 2nd what d3 says

Luke, my honest advice is - stay away from GTPs. I am saying this for the sake of the snakes. Get a dog instead, it may even fetch the beer for you.
Do you have any experience with keeping snakes? Any species?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back