Are your reptiles pets?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
PET: any domesticated or tamed animal that is kept as a companion and cared for affectionately.

It's up to the owner to make his own mind up.

All Reptiles-Mammals-Birds do remain the property of the crown, l know that from what l have been told by wildlife officers employed here in Victoria, within the Department of Sustainability and Environment aswell as other wildlife officers throughout Australia. I would like to see that hold up in court when I have a receipt from sale of said reptiles.

Tell me one thing if the Reptiles your keeping on licence are your property, why can't you take your pet Pythons with you to say Western Australia, if you decide to relocate to that state for work or any other personal reasons, you instead would have to think very seriously before relocating, whether or not your prepared to depart with what ever Pythons you have on licence. WA has strict fauna laws to protect their native animals, there is a big land bridge between the east and west. It's that simple.

But you don't have to do that with say a Dog or Cat do you cause not, so for you or anyone to say any Native Reptiles-Mammals-Birds are not the property of the crown, you don't know what your talking about cause not.

l myself have been keeping and breeding Australians Reptiles on licence since 1983 so l know the rules and regulations listed under the wildlife act since 1975 very well.

id also like to add that the NPWS cant seize your animals, they can have them seized by RSPCA though

id also like to add that the NPWS cant seize your animals, they can have them seized by RSPCA though

l know within reason that wildlife officers Australia wide can seized protected fauna if they need to, they don't need to contact the RSPCA, what ever Reptiles are siezed here in Victoria they end up going to Melbourne Zoo, and look after there by zoo keepers in the Reptile Department, until they sort out what their going to do with the Reptiles they have seized, or if the person is going to court they keep them until the end of the court case, then they decide what their going to do with them.

Farma:) why don't you contact your local wildlife officers or permit section in your state and see if they can or cannot seize and protected fauna or not.

But unless you are breaking laws and they are aware of it they have no reason to even attempt a siezure so why are we even discussing this?

and i'd be highly doubtful of that fact that every reptile siezed goes to the Melbourne zoo, that sounds like a crock to me.

More specimen than pet, simply because I don't have the same attatchment as I do to my dog.

In the same thread that triggered this one it was also mentioned that it was a privilige to keep reptiles, WHY? the authorities might like us to think it's a privilige,. but as far as I'm concerned we have every right to keep them

the past reps (or anything really) i kept are not pets, more like an extended family

yea we're a disfunctional bunch aye

l know within reason that wildlife officers Australia wide can seized protected fauna if they need to, they don't need to contact the RSPCA, what ever Reptiles are siezed here in Victoria they end up going to Melbourne Zoo, and look after there by zoo keepers in the Reptile Department, until they sort out what their going to do with the Reptiles they have seized, or if the person is going to court they keep them until the end of the court case, then they decide what their going to do with them.

Farma:) why don't you contact your local wildlife officers or permit section in your state and see if they can or cannot seize and protected fauna or not.

mate a NPWS officer is not trained or qualified in the removal, capture or transport of any animal nor do they have the faciliys to do so. maybe you should contact animal welfare and see their regulations in reguards to transporting native/protected, venomous, and dangerous animals.
what NPWS do and what they are permitted by law to do can be 2 different things and unless its brought up in court i guess they just get away with it

Do i feed them? yes
Do i interact with them? yes
Do i get enjoyment from keeping them? yes
Then i would regard them as pets.( my view any way):D
As for authorities being able to seize them whether it be rspca or a wildlife officer, this is the case with ANY animal you keep if you mistreat them or do not look after them properly.

I class my snake as my pet. To me a pet is an animal (or reptile) that I care about enough to put myself on the line for. If my dog got ran over and needed medical attention, he would get it, as would my children and now as would my snake. Even tho I have only had her a little while she is my girl and I love her to bits!!! (E)

Here Here BnEGlidz.the same goes for any of the animals in my house.if i have sat up all night nursing the dog cos it's hurt,i do the same for my son,makes them my kids ina sense.i worry,fuss,constantly checking temp etc.i do the same for my son..tuck him back in 4 times during the night,i worry,and fuss over him,

My reptiles are pets. Even the ones I don't handle. I still talk to them even if they don't want to be handled. I am happy to just look at them and I don't like them any less than the ones that do get handled. They all have names, eventually so yes they are pets.

All Reptiles-Mammals-Birds do remain the property of the crown, l know that from what l have been told by wildlife officers employed here in Victoria, within the Department of Sustainability and Environment aswell as other wildlife officers throughout Australia.

Tell me one thing if the Reptiles your keeping on licence are your property, why can't you take your pet Pythons with you to say Western Australia, if you decide to relocate to that state for work or any other personal reasons, you instead would have to think very seriously before relocating, whether or not your prepared to depart with what ever Pythons you have on licence.

But you don't have to do that with say a Dog or Cat do you cause not, so for you or anyone to say any Native Reptiles-Mammals-Birds are not the property of the crown, you don't know what your talking about do you cause not.

l myself have been keeping and breeding Australians Reptiles on licence since 1983 so l know the rules and regulations listed under the wildlife act since 1975 very well.

Your routinely acquired reptiles are definitely NOT the property of the Crown, they are yours to do with whatever you wish, as long as you act within the constraints of your licence, just as it is with dogs and cats, horse or any other animal. Almost all animals have conditons placed on their keeping, and it has everything to do with public safety and comfort, and the welfare of the animal concerned, and nothing to do with them being 'owned' by the government. They CANNOT be taken from you for any reason other than a breach of your licence conditions, in any state, despite what zealous wildlife officials (or poorly informed members here) may tell you when they are exercising their 'power.'

I have a few snakes, I don't handle them much so I probably get bitten more than most if I'm not paying attention, so I wouldn't call my animals 'pets' in the way my dogs are, but for all intents and purposes they may as well be 'pets' - they are so far removed from being 'fauna' (most are several generations captive bred) that it's absolutely ridiculous to have them classified as 'fauna' and have them licensed as such. With a very few species exceptions, the licensing systems in all states serve no purpose other than collecting revenue and employing staff - and propagating the myth that the various state departments are 'doing something for conservation..."

The exclusion of pythons from import into WA has absolutely nothing to do with them 'belonging to the Crown' (whatever that means...) - it has everything to do with the heavy-handed bureaucracy in that state perpetuating the myth that all snakes from the eastern states are disease ridden risks to the squeaky-clean WA animals. It's a justification that works with many keepers over there, and far easier for DEC to argue than the simple fact that they want keepers in that state to limit their expectations. There are constraints on moving all sorts of animals between states at different times - just talk to your local Ag Departments. It has nothing to do with Crown ownership, it has to do with the many and varied management issues, disease and pest control, and, of course, the personal tastes of the bureaucrats at the helm in any state at the time. Nothing more or less.

Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:
mine are pets/kids, anything i adopt gets spoilt rotten and is a family member for life.

now im off to find this thread everyones talking about!!!

For a lot of years I lived out in the bush, sometimes not seeing suburbia for 12 months at a time. I had no internet access, just a tempramental public phone(telstra puts them in some odd places lol)I wasn't even aware that you had to have a licence for wildlife? I was old school, I found sick/injured wildlife I nursed them to the best of my ability and then usually gave them a choice to stick around or go free. I did not consider whether they were pets or not, to me I just loved them as much I love my children. I do have a licence now though :) I guess to me reptiles are a member of mine family rather than thought of as a collection(I respect the opinions of collectors though)

i consider mine as pets lol i think my man gets jealous sometimes cause i give them so much attention :) Has anyone on here actually had someone from the Wildlife officials (or what ever they may be called in your state) come to your house and inspect you animals and record books? I think its a load of *beep* that some states dont allow some reps or import of reps (eg W.A) they are all from Australia. Im pretty sure that dogs and cats would do more damage then a native reptile from another state :)

If you own a reptile-dog-fish and DONT consider them as Pets,then what do you classify them as..

Keeping Reptiles could be considered more a hobby than the typical "PET"

My dog is my companion, damn sure my reptiles aren't

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back