Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie1991

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi all :D
Since the first day i had knots (a coastal yearling) i just loved snakes!!!!
i cannot think of a better pet, i love handling, reading, researching and learning all i can on caring and keeping snakes :D
I am looking at upgrading my small collection but im torn between so many great species!! i want something that is active, has a good temperment (although i know this varies from snake to snake) and that is relatively easy to care for..
I am leaning torwards a bredli or jungle..

Thoughts on best option for a second snake?? :)

You cannot go wrong with Jungle they are absolutely, beautiful low maintenance and amazing to watch . Though they can be rather snappy!

As youngsters they probably would but many don't recommend housing two snakes together because of the risks of one getting eaten by the other, and then you need to separate them at feeding time. If they happen to latch onto each other or the same food item it can be quite a serious situation. And also risk of cross breeding if you have a pair.

IMO I would not house a jungle and coastal together. The temperament differences can cause un-necessary stress to your coastal if he thinks the other is striking because danger is nearby - or vice versa if your coastal is grumpy and a docile jungle. I have housed carpets together before without problems, my baby bredl's are together and they seem to be ok but my stimsons use to be a pain housed together. Try separating them at feed time, the one left in the enclosure would feed but the other would be too busy trying to run away to care about feeding. Try put it back in the tank, or the next day it just seemed to upset their feeding too much so it was best to keep them apart. Every individual situation can be different and you'll get to know how to read your snakes to know if they are doing well or probably should be on their own.

they sure do look amazing!! would a jungle safely share a enclosure with my coastal?? :)

Safely? No it wouldn't. Before even mentioning accidents between the two snakes, you should also consider quarantine. Who knows if the jungle you purchase could have some underlying transferable illness, then you chuck it in with your coastal and now congratulations you coastal has it too.

thank you every one for your help and advice, i will not be housing them together, i wasn't entirely sure so thanks for clearing that up for me i definately do not want them attacking each other one sharing possible sicknesses..
i guess that means i get to make a new enclosure which i don't mind at all ;P
i will most probably be getting a jungle for now, but a bredli is definately next on the list :)

....... my baby bredl's are together and they seem to be ok .........

How is it that in the same day I said this I have had to separate them because I witnessed them constrict each other and both had each other by the throats. Having a nice cuppa, sitting there snapping pics of my snakes and I catch them trying to eat each other. Thankfully no serious damage, and straight under the cold water tap they let each other go but can you imagine trying to separate two adult bredli's? Perhaps answer this question and it might answer your question regards to safety and housing two snakes together. Ppl (like me) can speak from experience (eg I have never had trouble) but it is NEVER the guaranteed outcome for your snakes.

How is it that in the same day I said this I have had to separate them because I witnessed them constrict each other and both had each other by the throats.

Bet they agreed to do on purpose to make you look silly XD.

bhp if you have the capacity. Beautiful and easy on learners.

I just made my pair of Jungles a trio =] I just got another female- she has a heart on her head! SO cute.
But they are only tiny little worms at the moment. Can't wait til I can start breeding them. Exciting stuff.
We have a Centralian as well. She's the biggest of our collection at the moment but our Olive is catching up super fast.
I would suggest a Centralian for a second snake. Jungles are good too though. Really you'r choice.
Or both as mysnakesau said!

diamond python!, beautifully placid, absolutely beautiful to look at, and easy to care for :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back