Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i call them king browns... actually usually just kingies.
a more accurate description than mulga snake- they don't look anything like a scrubby acacia

The name yellow bellied black snake gets thrown around as a description for a number of different species popularized by midnight oils song "king of the mountain"

Yes, but that was referring to the aboriginal flag, yellow bellied black snake sleeping on a red rock.....waiting for the strangers to go.

Mulga snakes till they get over eight feet.... then they are king browns ;)

Apparently we have yellow bellied black snakes around our area. I tried to suggest at a FAWNA meeting once that it was probably a common tree snake but the person yelled at me, "I know what tree snakes look like, and this wasn't one of them." So I shut up and let her ramble. I have rescued a few tree snakes that are near black.

i would also like the term red bellied black snake returned to an earlier description of "the crimson sided snake" dont like my chances though lol

The name yellow bellied black snake gets thrown around as a description for a number of different species popularized by midnight oils song "king of the mountain"
Crimson Sided Snake sounds so much better
By the way, guys really I once saw a Yellow Belly Black Snake.
It almost got me but luckily I stood on its head.

Yes, but that was referring to the aboriginal flag, yellow bellied black snake sleeping on a red rock.....waiting for the strangers to go.

Mulga snakes till they get over eight feet.... then they are king browns ;)

Thats debatable.....:)

Obviously Sax not too many care, & I don't much either. you won't change what people call them & they will allways be refered to by many as King Browns because that sounds bigger & more dangerous. If you ask most people they have never heard of a Mulga snake, what is it? is it piosonous?

Cheers

Common names are there to confuse us, save the confusion if it worries you, and just use the scientific names.
thats not confusing at all...:rolleyes:
Anyway
Some ppl say tomato some say tomuto.
thats what mkes the something go something.
Pedantic is a good word to

Yep, Pseudechis australis. Problem solvered!

I'm not sure how much this would really affect the general public. I think instead of worrying whether people use "correct" names we should be aiming to stop them all being called "itsasnakekillit!" regardless of the species
agreed, something like school based animal / reptile lessons with wild life catcher / carer

I have had people tell me they have seen king browns in their back yard down the gold coast, lol also where I work in Brisbane we have wetlands out the back and people have said there's king browns in there. When I try to explain that they are not found around this area they are adamant they are king browns. I just shake my head and say well you know better don't you.

I think it doesnt matter. Sure they're not in the Pseudonaja genus, but they're still brown ;)

And I've had the same experience, cleobhp, people say king brown to make it sound scarier. Ironically, king browns arent as dangerous as browns :p

ahhhh you know they're not all brown don't you? Go to St George and you'll see some nice red and orange ones
I think it doesnt matter. Sure they're not in the Pseudonaja genus, but they're still brown ;)

And I've had the same experience, cleobhp, people say king brown to make it sound scarier. Ironically, king browns arent as dangerous as browns :p

Yeah we get kingies down here too, according the general public. And how many 12ft python call outs have I had to find them much smaller than I was told, and red-bellied blue tongues are another popular reptile found in our area. Ppl just see a tail and cry SNAKE!!! They feel stupid when I pull out a lizard but I tell them they did the right thing. You don't go poking at reptiles when you can't see their whole body. I even went to the local boral site looking for a 6ft brown snake. No hope of finding him. Almost back to my car and a guy whistles out that he found it. He saw a tail sticking out of a crack in the brickwork. My first thoughts were, this isn't 6ft, and it wasn't even 1ft. It was a harmless worm. His mates gave him hell after that but in their dust pit where the light is dull anyway, you don't take chances. Rescuers act on descriptions we've been given and we don't think anything else, at least until afterwards.

I call them "Your Majesties" pay them proper respect and they won't bite you lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back