Ageism towards kids...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think your lying about your age, and if not stop playing on APS in class and pay attention.

My son is 11 and just before he was born I got my first reptile so he has spent his entire life around reptiles. We go bush as much as we can to go field herping and we regularly volunteer at the Sydney reptile shows. At the shows he usually handles all the herps and has to explain to the public all about the herps. His Nan and Pop live near Griffith in central NSW and he spends a lot of his time on various farms in the area, so he is used to walking about sheep, cattle, pigs etc. We regularly have an exchange student living with us and he has to show them about aussie animals and hand feed them to show that they are harmless at zoos. Recently he has decided to aim at becoming a zoologist down the track. The question is would you trust his advice on a forum, not knowing his history? It would be the same as someone like Bindi or Bob Irwin, having grown up living and working in a zoo, getting on a forum and giving advice on animal husbandry. With a name like snakegirl or something, age 14 or whatever, would you trust her advice?
There is a lot of people who have only kept herps for 1 or 2 yrs on here that give advice (good advice, mind you), but do they know more than my son, Bindi or Snakelover? It all comes down to prejudgment and you will face it almost every day of your life. Take it as simply a life experience and add it to your already higher than average maturity.:)

to be honest I don't even look to see how old a poster is. what does it matter really if the advise is relevant and helpful.

If it begins to worry you, remove your age from view.

Im 22 and still get seen as a "young fella" to some, in my opinion you do seem to know what you are talking about, actually i thought you were older until i seen your age some time ago. Don't worry about that guy he obviously thinks that because you are young that you don't know the answer to his question IMO he is ignorant to the fact that you actually might/do know what you are saying.

ahah pretty much what every one has already said mate, i would recommend just removing your age from being displayed will pretty much make the issue go away, but you can always just leave it up and replay to those stupid posts with a simple, "you required some information, i may indeed be young but i have the knowledge and answers you require if your too arrogant to accept the information simply for my age then good luck to you"

On other things, not only APS, I've given people information and they've gone 'wait until your [somethings] drop kid then talk to me' or 'come back when u have [somethings]'.

And as a matter of fact, both have happened.:p

Last edited:
snakeluuver,

You are a nice, decent young lad. You have the guts to apologise when you feel that you have done the wrong thing. Many adults could take a few lessons off you.
Don't get in with people who are nasty and say nasty stuff about others. If I were you, I would not change.

Sorry I ignored this thread because I am older and all you young people treat us with disrespect because you think we are past it and alway ... what is it, yes thats it, no no, its gone.

If you want to be looked at as a keeper that knows everything, then just buy some chondros and you will be legendary instantly. :D:D

The young eager mind will always trip up on occasion.....but they will tend to admit their mistakes or in Nathans case argue till point of proof otherwise!!!

In all seriousness keep at it, ageism is very real and for some people there is no cure, its not the fault of the young fella or lass, but the older person.

My suggestion (and not directed specifically at you) is learn where to comment and when to listen/read. You will find that something said, that is well thought out and based from your own exp or something you have picked up (reference the source though) will be generally better taken.

Cheers,
Scott

it seems all the young members in here cop a bit, im not saying we dont provoke it sometimes but in general, people just dont seem to care for our opinions

we just need to learn from our mistakes and not post some things i guess

also i think everyone would cringe at their first few posts/threads

Personally I never really look at age/gender to the right, I've always just read who wrote what and what they wrote and seriously? I had no idea you were 11 snakeluvver. I actually thought you must've been either at the end of or just out of high school so if some idiot is going to base valid, mature and well-expressed advice on a digit rather than the advice itself, I'd be asking myself who's the immature one?

Yer alex you might have annoyed me a few times, but you like to learn and a wise old herper once told me that "age is such a cop-out"

I've met a few people who are younger than me and can completely out-knowledge me.
It happens more when you get to uni too.

Well if someone came along and asked for advice.

you've been keeping them say a year and give you're advice and someone who's older and been keeping them a lot longer gives some different advice, who would you believe?

No offence intended towards you at all, but it happens. Has happened to me a fair bit when I was younger. Just the way it is sadly. Not saying advice you give is wrong or anything but it's just the mentality of people, they tend to believe those who have been doing this for a lot longer.

Happened to me a fair bit when i first joined the forum when i was 15 or so and i had probally had/bred more than many of the 25year old posters who ended up vanishing over the years, but its more or less what danger said who would you take advice from someone whos been keeping reptiles for 10 or so years? or someone whos been keeping them for 1 or 2. Just the cycle of life dont let it get to you.

To be perfectly honest i rarely look at age/join date unless i read a very good peice of info or something i havn't read before.

lol, i remember when i first joined the forum (i was 10).
i used to post wanted ads up for crocodile skinks and chameleons :|
and used to tell people that it was ok to take only skinks from the wild :/

snakeluvver when I fist joined up and saw your post I thought that you had forgotten to up date your age, you knew so much for your age!!!
I now know that the age thingy updates automaticly :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back