Ageism towards kids...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember being banned from this site when I was young because I corrected someones ID on a lizard and they turned around and basically said they knew better than I did because they were older than me so I told them where to go in far less words.

It happens constantly, there is a type of person usually a middle aged male who has a problem with taking advice/information from someone who is younger because they feel as though they know better. imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry guys but I'd prefer if there were no stars in this thread - no swearing. And justplainnuts, ben 10 isn't on until Friday ;) lol jks I have no idea.

Thanks guys, I like to think I dont come across as some annoying kid, although looking at my posts from when I first joined I do cringe... :|

:lol: I remember those posts too alex.. but your posts really improved and you have posted some really good comments and great information on this forum thats set out in a logical and intelligent way.. Its impressed me and I've told you so too.. I also remember several times when other members have complimented you on them as well.

so don't let it get you down or discourage you.. I think your doing fine mate.

I just read that whole thread (even the deleted comments) what do you mean erase it from history??? I'm thinking of re-naming it to "Die Sticky Tape Die!!!" and making it a "sticky" :D

I just read the thread and i must say that you were/are very brave at your age to stay on here.
My first post on here was met by a not so nice person and i have been extremely wary of what i write here and ask because of this (i'm 25 by the way) so i think it's great that you have stuck around for nealry a year now.
As for advice from what i have seen (not much) you are quite mature and at least try to help people with the information and experience you have.
If it was me i wouldn't care where the advice or info came from and as long as it was right i wouldn't care about the person's age :)
I think that experience and knowledge should come before age but sadly not everyone sees things that way, i guess that's how things are.
Keep being brave, keep posting what you know, and keep asking your questions :)

What the hell are you doing up at this hour young man??? ;p As I mentioned yesterday your one to keep an eye out for in yrs to come. Your way ahead of your age imo. Keep up the good work Alex don't let the buggers drag you down

What the hell are you doing up at this hour young man??? ;p As I mentioned yesterday your one to keep an eye out for in yrs to come. Your way ahead of your age imo. Keep up the good work Alex don't let the buggers drag you down
You read my mind Smithers!!! Snakeluvver, Smithers is right. You are way to smart for your own good- there have been times I thought you werent really 11 because you put most of us "oldies" to shame ! You are an extremely smart young man, and i hope you never feel the need to "dumb" yourself down for anyone!

mate some people just want advice from more experienced people, don't take it as a bad thing, i 1 were wanting a reptile that i knew nothing about id want an answer from a adult who has alot more experience, alot of people are like that mate there just want advice from people who have done it for years

mate some people just want advice from more experienced people, don't take it as a bad thing, i 1 were wanting a reptile that i knew nothing about id want an answer from a adult who has alot more experience, alot of people are like that mate there just want advice from people who have done it for years

When I first joined APS i was amazed at the amount of "kids" on here with mountains of knowledge! Mind you- a 2 yr old prob knows more about reps than I do!

....On some forum thingy some guy (about 25 yrs old or so) was asking on the care of pink tongues so, since I keep them, I gave him advice on setup ect. His reply was something along the lines of "Thanks kid but I'd like some imput from some grownups, thanks". I was fuming. This is just one example, I have many more that could fill a whole thread. ....
I am not the least bit surprised that the gentleman responded in the manner in which he did – at least he was polite. The reality is that the life experiences of the average 11 year old are quite limited and are extremely unlikely to include an in-depth understanding of any animal husbandry, let alone reptiles. Age also limits the potential for experience, which is something we all seek in looking for answers to that which we know little or nothing about.

Snakeluvver, you clearly have well above average ability for your age to learn and to apply that learning. Your knowledge, understanding and, albeit limited, experience with reptiles is clearly exceptional for your age. People simply do not expect it and so those that do not know you are naturally wary. Most of them don’t possess enough knowledge of their own to recognise the worth and value in the advice you give them. So expect to continue to be discriminated against on the basis of age on other forums. Or just delete your age from them.

I will add at this point that you demonstrate another characteristic very seldom seen in those your age – you are discerning. Keep it going – you are doing great!

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
When I first joined APS i was amazed at the amount of "kids" on here with mountains of knowledge! Mind you- a 2 yr old prob knows more about reps than I do!
i'm not saying there don't know nothing but say someone 25 came onto hear, didn't know anyone or what there knew, then asked for some advice and a kid answered not knowing how much he knew he would most likely want advice from someone with alot more experience, yes snake lover knows alot for his age, he knows alot more then me that for sure, but when i started on hear i would have wanted advice from older people, but now as i know he knows a bit i would listen alot more, so i spose its not more about the age but the people not knowing them to take the advice, tho the older you are the more experience you have tho not always right of corse

as always Bluetongue 1 you have responded so eloquently and factually.

i'm not saying there don't know nothing but say someone 25 came onto hear, didn't know anyone or what there knew, then asked for some advice and a kid answered not knowing how much he knew he would most likely want advice from someone with alot more experience, yes snake lover knows alot for his age, he knows alot more then me that for sure, but when i started on hear i would have wanted advice from older people, but now as i know he knows a bit i would listen alot more, so i spose its not more about the age but the people not knowing them to take the advice, tho the older you are the more experience you have tho not always right of corse

I am 32, and I am one of those people that came onto here without an ounce of knowledge and to a certain point yeah, i did feel a bit "your only 11, 16 whatever" but i was just grateful for knowledgeable people and to me it didnt matter whether they were 11 or 211, they knew more than me. I think that when I was a kid only "freaks" had reps, inverts etc as pets and now nearly every kid has something along these lines, so chances are they do know more about husbandry etc than I personally do. In saying this I do not wish to take away from all the years that the "oldies" have spent gaining knowledge, and first hand experience, which only comes with years spent in the hobby.

This has nothing to do with age though, just how many years you have been interested in/caring for etc, a 12 yr old that has been interested in reps since he was 2 has just as much experience as a 22 yr old who has been into them since he was 12. either way its still 10yrs....

Thankyou but I must blame my appalling typing skills somewhat. If I did not have to compose my posts in Word first, I am sure they would not be as coherent or correct.

I should also say that some people gain more out of an equivalent keeping experience than others.

Your post reminded of the old definition of an expert… Anybody that knows more on the subject than you do!

There is a more modern version… “x” is used to represent an unknown quantity. A “spurt” occurs when you put a drip under pressure. So an ‘expert’ is “an unknown drip under pressure!”

Cheers,
Blue

SL my brother is your age (and, strangely enough, named Alex) and I'm constantly surprised at the level of intelligent conversation I can have with him. I don't think it's deliberate (although the guy you're talking about sounds a bit nasty) I think people just don't expect it. Like plenty of people have already said, don't let it bother you. You'll meet plenty of jerks in the real world so just take this as an opportunity to practice ignoring them

Thanks guys, I'd like all these posts but my hand would hurt afterwards ;)Thanks blue, that really makes sense and it makes me feel better... The guy was sort of polite but his actual post (cant remember exactly what it said) made me feel pretty bad and basically he was saying "you're 11 what would you know" funny thing was nobody else there had ever kept pink tongues but me, go figure.

You guys are very noble. I HATE IT when a young fella knows more about stuff than i do :lol:! Particularly if it's something i also know a bit about haha.

Alex i have all the time in the world for the likes of you, Geckphotographer (even though he's a lil older) and a few other younger ones that don't show up on the forum anymore. You've shown you have more than just a fleeting interest particularly in feild herping, it's you boys that are the ones to watch.

This thread has kinda gone of topic...
Thanks loads for all the kind words, though. And I hope in the future I become an "expert" of sorts. Whatever an expert means, "an unknown drip under pressure" haha I've heard that before... having trouble figuring out what it means.

Your posts are always respected by me, you're very intelligent and mature for your age, to begin with I was wondering if you were really 11 or if it was just a typo :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back