Ageism towards kids...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry if you've copped some flack for being younger - like several others here I thought your age was a typo or way out of date, too, given the calibre of your posts. I've been so impressed with some of the things you've written here I've read them out to others, especially your mature and educated grasp on the whole "Go back to where you came from" thread that got closed down. I think you're brilliant, and I love how respectful and courteous you are - and I especially love your ability to stay calm when so-called 'adults' are losing it.:)

Well if someone came along and asked for advice.

you've been keeping them say a year and give you're advice and someone who's older and been keeping them a lot longer gives some different advice, who would you believe?

I'd believe the person who had experience in the area I was asking about! I've had snakes for over a decade, but (touch wood!) they've haven't given me any trouble (one vet visit in 11 years) so someone who's had snakes for 6 months but has been through hell with feeding/medical issues/whatever and learnt a hell of a lot as a result will have more experience than me in those areas. Time and age mean comparatively little in relation to actual experience. Until I got my CTS I've had a bunch of wonderful snakes who eat and shed like clockwork, and I didn't have the foggiest how to deal with a difficult feeder. Very steep learning curve for me after 11 years of snake-ownership, and the posts here on the subject have helped hugely.

But I do feel your frustration, Alex. I'm female and I work in a male-dominated industry (I work as a rigger and sailor on tall ships), and I get asked if I'm a tour guide/make the coffee/am the cook, and have even been bluntly told that "women can't be sailors or riggers". It doesn't help that I'm 37 and look 25, so people also assume I'm too young to know what I'm doing. I'm not trying to derail your post into a rant about gender equality, but I do have an inkling of how you feel. People who allow prejudices like that to cloud their ability to take advice or listen to someone - they're the stupid ones. Best to just mutter to yourself, move on, and keep being awesome.:)

Sorry guys but I'd prefer if there were no stars in this thread - no swearing. And justplainnuts, ben 10 isn't on until Friday ;) lol jks I have no idea.

what is ben 10??? what happened to the old postman pat? or looney toons

shut up Snakeluver and go back to watching Ben 10........hahahahahaha........i remember when i was young....i mean younger when old people would ignore me even though i knew more......just the way some people are. But on the upside most young people think they know a lot more than what they do only to grow up and look back to realise how little they really knew...

steiny i thought people still ignored you lol.... but i think your right, we all think we know so much of something, only to find out someone can outdo us in an instant

Last edited:
I'd believe the person who had experience in the area I was asking about! I've had snakes for over a decade, but (touch wood!) they've haven't given me any trouble (one vet visit in 11 years) so someone who's had snakes for 6 months but has been through hell with feeding/medical issues/whatever and learnt a hell of a lot as a result will have more experience than me in those areas. Time and age mean comparatively little in relation to actual experience. Until I got my CTS I've had a bunch of wonderful snakes who eat and shed like clockwork, and I didn't have the foggiest how to deal with a difficult feeder. Very steep learning curve for me after 11 years of snake-ownership, and the posts here on the subject have helped hugely.

Agreed, I knew a guy who had owned 1 snake for over 15 years and didn't even know what he had and I have met people that have been in the hobby for a relative short time, that have agreat wealth of knowledge.

I, personally, never look at someone's age, I treat the post as it deserves. If you right a sensable post, then you deserve a sensable answer, likewise to those that put more effort in to spelling words incorrectly and have no idea of what punctuation is. I generally don't bother wasting my time trying to read that craap. I think your age and anybody elses for that matter, should be ignored, it should be what and how you right your replies and how you respect others on a forum that makes the difference.

I, personally, never look at someone's age, [-] I treat the post as it deserves. If you right [write] a sensable [sensible] post, then you deserve a sensable [sensible] answer, [;] likewise to those that put more effort in to [into] spelling words incorrectly [correctly] and have no idea of what punctuation is. I generally don't bother wasting my time trying to read that craap. I think your age and anybody elses [else's] for that matter, should be ignored, [;] it should be what and how you right [write] your replies and how you respect others on a forum that makes the difference.

You just rendered yourself ineligible then Hugsta.:p
Sorry for being a pedantic horror; I used to be a copy-editor and the habit doesn't go away, but I thought it was funny since you were ragging on people who don't bother to spell or punctuate. I have to say I do share your prejudice to an extent; some of the replies I've seen here are nigh-unreadable because of the way they're written, and I tend to skim them.

You just rendered yourself ineligible then Hugsta.:p
Sorry for being a pedantic horror; I used to be a copy-editor and the habit doesn't go away, but I thought it was funny since you were ragging on people who don't bother to spell or punctuate. I have to say I do share your prejudice to an extent; some of the replies I've seen here are nigh-unreadable because of the way they're written, and I tend to skim them.

Lol, thanks for the editing. I know I am not the best, but at least it is legible. nt lke sum of da peeps in heer tipe wid wrdZ u cn ardly reed. :D:D

Naga....Hugsta was RIGHT with his original RIGHT, He didn't WRITE it wrong. It seems everyone needs to go back to school........;)LOL

No he wasn't, If you write a sensible, not if you right a sensible, haha
You were writing to right right from write, right? Or were you righting the writing by righting the write to right? It needs to be all write to be all right, alright? I shall write no more for I have no doubt exceeded my rights and have no wish to be read the rites.

Blue

How embarrassment......It was 3am, coffee in hand, wife asking me something then............I read the wrong write. Upon reading the wrong write I corrected the wrong write to right which was wrong, so I wrote the wrong right instead of the right write and didn't write the wrong write right and got the right write wrong. So I hope I have the right write alright. :)

Right now it is right now. So right now it can be left now.

Blue

I always found it the opposite for me at a young age. Of course I was not on forums then which is the difference, still I am 17 now so not that old even.

But back when I was 10 or so I would meet Uni students through my father and they would be amazed just how much I knew about frogs and reptiles, and while I have experienced new things about reptiles in so many ways since then I think most of my knowledge still stems from the first 10 or so years I spent looking for frogs in the field and the ability that gave me to easily take in such information as scientific names, id characteristics etc. It is more the background and theory of so many things I have learnt in the time since then and am still learning.

I agree Snakeluvver you have never appeared as some annoying kid to me but someone with an innate knack for reptiles that with the proper experience, time and reading could go a long way in this field. Then again I never did read your age.

Happens to me all the time at 24 years old.. Especially at work. Tends to be egotistical men.

I don't think you should hide your age, I know it's annoying to not be taken seriously but at the end of the day if people won't take good advice when it's given more fool them. I'm 33 and have been a butcher for over half my life, Ive just started working with a bloke who treats me like a first year apprentice and regularly shows me how to do things that I consistantly do better than he does. You will allways be younger than someone and there will allways be people with more or less expeience than you despite their age.

this thread seems to waffling on and on and maybe time to close..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back