Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Of the members who own cats.. how many have cat runs outside for their cats?

• Yes

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • no cat run but kept inside

Votes: 30 47.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If i had a cat i would preffer someone to bring it to the pound instead of killing it , but i wouldnt own a cat :)

I think all cats should be desexed before sale unless you are a registerd cat breeder that way there wouldnt be as many cats breeding un-wanted litters . NSW is bringing in enclosure sizes for snakes why dont they make a law that you can not own a cat if you dont have an appropriate sized cat run for the cat before purchase .

My last world on this subject:
One can not reason with serial cat haters. They think they are conservationists because they hate cats. But like all extremists and radicals, they're not taken seriously by the rest of the community.

reason... what an interesting proposal. Perhaps a cost benefit analysis would help: someone whip up a table of pros and cons of keeping cats in this country, i wonder which column would be longest?

colin yes we are suppose to but seriously how many do? also wildlife come into peoples property, i do believe that one that attacked the bluey was on a person's property? dogs can also go feral and turn wild and attack LARGE native animals, well any size really yes they can also attack live stock but its not JUST cats that are to blame

since man stepped foot on this planet he has set out to destroy it by whatever means he can, dogs and cats were here in some form well before WE crawled out of the mud

i would like to point out that irresponsible pet owners are just that and will never do the right thing however cat lovers still love their cats as much as people in here love their reptiles, do you have any idea how upsetting it is to enter a topic and read members not only condoning the killing of them but suggestions on how to do it

how do you know someone's child wouldnt read something like that and get upset? or is it ok to do that because its JUST a cat

again it comes down to respecting each other and i guess it just doesnt go for everyone which is a shame and i guess im a lot different to a lot in here because no matter what i would NEVER condone cruelty to any animal under any circumstance regardless of the animal

in fact i have even just whipped off a complaint to the SPCA in a county in America because i just watched a show where a lobster was served up raw with its tail was sliced for the diners to eat and the bloody thing was still ALIVE , made me sick to my stomach

Jack, that like if someone whips up the same for junkies and drug pushers. We know which column would be longest. Doable? No.

The pet industry would fall over without the support of cat owners, they spend mega amounts on their pets

pussie collars, pussie baskets, pussie toys and pussie food....LOL

Forgto mention the vets would feel the pinch as well

again it comes down to respecting each other and i guess it just doesnt go for everyone which is a shame and i guess im a lot different to a lot in here because no matter what i would NEVER condone cruelty to any animal under any circumstance regardless of the animal

I haven't seen a post that is condoning cruelty.

I can not Speak for John, But this is exactly what i am pushing for and not just for the Devils.
I think there is quite a large percentage of people that could house a betong, possum or a bilby quite well. Maybe 10% of the population could hold a native of some sort.

very true maggie.. I think a lot of native animals would thrive in private keepers care and there could be some stud book setup with breeding information etc. I think how sometimes we hear of animals being seized by NPWS service from some source and then what? they usually die because they dont have a clue.. It would be much better to have some professional herpetologists in charge of a breeding program and farm some out to private keepers to breed them.. It would be an awesome conservation project to not only keep these endagered species alive but to thrive and come back in numbers.. funded by the private keepers for the priveledge of participating in such a program.. its a win win situation in my opinion. same goes for the devils and corroborre frogs. why cant private keepers be involved? especially if the animals are owned by the program and not sold by the keepers. some offspring could be added to their individual programs and then further offspring set up for the next keeper.. and so on.. they wouldnt need a lot of funding because we'd be doing all the work and putting in the hours and the effort. It would be a great thing to do and if organised and contolled by a core group of people could work in my opinion. thoughts?

I am not a fan of cats but if anyone trapped my mothers pet cat without telling me and giving me the option of getting it back with a warning etc... The trapper would be toast and I would be in jail.

To have such a lack of respect for some ones loved pet is just low.

I am quite aware that cats need to be kept inside in Australia but that goes the same as saying a pet snake will never get out - and that happens quite a bit going by threads here.

This is the law in nsw:

Responsibilities of pet owners
To ensure the comfort, safety and health of the whole
community, the Companion Animals Act places certain
responsibilities on pet owners.
Here is a summary of responsibilities of cat owners under
the Act:
l All cats must be identified by a form of identification that
enables a local authority to ascertain the name of the cat
and the address or telephone number of the owner;
l Cats are prohibited in wildlife protection areas and food
preparation/consumption areas;
l You must ensure your cat does not interfere with the
peace, comfort or convenience of any person in any other
premises, or
l Repeatedly damage anything outside the property on
which it is ordinarily kept.
Penalty notices issued under the Act
Animal not permanently identified (microchipped) . . . $165
Animal not registered . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $165
Failure to notify change of address/owner . . . . . . . . . $165
Failure to take seized animal to pound/shelter . . . . . $550
Failure to comply with nuisance cat order . . . . . . . . . $165
Cat in prohibited place . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $110
Cat not wear identification . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $110
Obstruct authorised officer . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $165

for more info see: http://www.dlg.nsw.gov.au/DLG/DLGHo...ormation_for_Cat_Owners_in_NSW_-_Brochure.pdf

Here are a few tips that may help in trapping stray animals.

1. sprinkle some food around the area you are planning to set the trap a few days prior to help catch alert and tricky animals, this method makes the stray fell less nervous and comfortable with the surrounds.

2. If you borrow the trap from the council or a friend, then give it a good clean prior to use as some smells such as dog smells may deter a capture.

3. If you want to warn neighbors that you will be setting traps, mail dropping under the cover of darkness is a good way to go, so you dont get any threats from aggressive people like scleropages when their beloved pet is at the pound.
If this does not work (did not for me) try a letterdrop claiming that you have set poison baits on your property (lies of course) as this may result in the wake up call of a pet owner to be more responsible. But remain annonomous.

Happy days:D

Waterrat,

While I agree that many snake lovers seem to get some sort of strange pleasure out of cat death talk and it can be disturbing, I'm actually quite interested in what you actually think of cats free roaming the neighbourhood. Are you saying that it has no detrimental effect on natives? Or that their impact on wildlife is negligible within suburban areas? Or that too many people own cats for anything to be effectively done about it?

I think everyone so far has said that they have no issue at all with cats kept on the owner's premises. I would personally never euthanise someone's pet, I'd return it to them if I could and politely request that they keep it out of my garden. And I do actually mean politely, lol.

I don't have strong opinions on the subject but I have spoken with wildlife carers who have told me that domestic cats can cause severe damage to urban populations of natives. I'm happy to be convinced otherwise if this is not the case, I'd just like to hear the argument for it. Not stirring at all, genuinely interested.

Waterrat,

While I agree that many snake lovers seem to get some sort of strange pleasure out of cat death talk and it can be disturbing, I'm actually quite interested in what you actually think of cats free roaming the neighbourhood. Are you saying that it has no detrimental effect on natives? Or that their impact on wildlife is negligible within suburban areas? Or that too many people own cats for anything to be effectively done about it?

I think everyone so far has said that they have no issue at all with cats kept on the owner's premises. I would personally never euthanise someone's pet, I'd return it to them if I could and politely request that they keep it out of my garden. And I do actually mean politely, lol.

I don't have strong opinions on the subject but I have spoken with wildlife carers who have told me that domestic cats can cause severe damage to urban populations of natives. I'm happy to be convinced otherwise if this is not the case, I'd just like to hear the argument for it. Not stirring at all, genuinely interested.

Just make a nice bushy area cat free
Even a big back yard will do
After 2 years you will have so many birds lizards etc that you will shake your head in disbelief
If you have a pond it will be full of frogs etc

Just make a nice bushy area cat free
Even a big back yard will do
After 2 years you will have so many birds lizards etc that you will shake your head in disbelief
If you have a pond it will be full of frogs etc

From what limited knowledge I have on the subject I'm in total agreement. It's just that some seem to be arguing that that isn't true or is at least an exaggeration. I'd be interested to hear the argument for that view.

Waterrat,

Fuscus, I don't deny that cats are hunters and do damage to urban wildlife. Lets leave ferals aside for now, that's different category again. Urbanization itself is the biggest killer of wildlife add the cats are picking up the crumbs. I am not suggesting that it's alright but I do acknowledge that pets, including cats are important in people's lives and have been for decades if not centuries. People without pets are strange people (that's only my opinion) and children deprived of intimate contact with animals grow up into strange adults. For decades, out wildlife managers have been telling us "look but don't touch" and we now have a generation of young people who never left the fur of a possum, wombat or the skin of a snake. We are not allowed to keep native wildlife as pets, so what's the alternative? Dogs and cats.
Cats have been in suburbs for yonks and they shape up the urban ecology the same way dingos or crocodiles do in the wild, they are the top predator in suburbs. Yet, we still have abundance of wildlife in our gardens and I doubt there are any real data that would suggest steady declines - temporary ones, perhaps but the same goes on in the bush. Of course it hurts to see a cat dragging dead honey-eater or a water dragon and us naturalists, we get upset.
There should be a uniform law across this country; no more that 2 cats per household, both desexed and microchipped. Compulsory confinement to indoors will NEVER work. Houses are not being built to include cat runs and many people simply can't afford it. Kids (and adults) and not always diligent when it comes to closing doors, so cats get out.

What makes me cranky is the mentality of cat haters who think if they kill a cat they have done some monumental act in support of conservation. That's an absolute crap, it's equal to killing one cane toad or shooting one pig. And before somebody says "but if all did ........", it's even more crap, no need for explanation I hope.

Cheers
M

use whatever irresponsible people like to eat instead. = Beer or Red Wine :p

I consider myself a responsible person but if set a trap with few bottles of Grange, I'll get caught. :D

Fuscus, I don't deny that cats are hunters and do damage to urban wildlife. Lets leave ferals aside for now, that's different category again. Urbanization itself is the biggest killer of wildlife add the cats are picking up the crumbs. I am not suggesting that it's alright but I do acknowledge that pets, including cats are important in people's lives and have been for decades if not centuries. People without pets are strange people (that's only my opinion) and children deprived of intimate contact with animals grow up into strange adults. For decades, out wildlife managers have been telling us "look but don't touch" and we now have a generation of young people who never left the fur of a possum, wombat or the skin of a snake. We are not allowed to keep native wildlife as pets, so what's the alternative? Dogs and cats.
Cats have been in suburbs for yonks and they shape up the urban ecology the same way dingos or crocodiles do in the wild, they are the top predator in suburbs. Yet, we still have abundance of wildlife in our gardens and I doubt there are any real data that would suggest steady declines - temporary ones, perhaps but the same goes on in the bush. Of course it hurts to see a cat dragging dead honey-eater or a water dragon and us naturalists, we get upset.
There should be a uniform law across this country; no more that 2 cats per household, both desexed and microchipped. Compulsory confinement to indoors will NEVER work. Houses are not being built to include cat runs and many people simply can't afford it. Kids (and adults) and not always diligent when it comes to closing doors, so cats get out.

What makes me cranky is the mentality of cat haters who think if they kill a cat they have done some monumental act in support of conservation. That's an absolute crap, it's equal to killing one cane toad or shooting one pig. And before somebody says "but if all did ........", it's even more crap, no need for explanation I hope.

Cheers
M

Thanks for explaining your stance mate. It's food for thought.

Cheers

I just don't think the fate of this species in the wild is so assured that we can yet say whether they will or won't survive. Especially since the Western populations of devils from what I have read have greater natural variance and thus better chance of developing a resistance to the disease.

From memory the (north) western population is actually the least genetically diverse. The species as a whole seriously lacks diversity as it is.. i think as a result of bottle necking its way over to Tasmania when a land bridge existed.

If a cat is left to roam after dark, it is legal in Victoria to treat it as feral, trap it and shoot it.
Even if it is a pet.

Ive been setting Possum Traps for Cats on my proptery for years.
The traps get set after 10pm and I un-set them before sun up, I do this 2 to 3 times a month.
This year I have only traped and shot 3 or 4,
where as in past years I would well and truely be in double figures by this time of year.
Cat numbers down, I must be winning the fight.

Im sorry to say this Michael, as I do respect you,
But if you were my neighbour and your cat was left to roam at night.
I would take it.

I am all for people to keep cats as pets, I understand that a Cat owner loves their beloved puss.
With that said, if they truely love their cat, lock it up at night, buy a cat run to keep it safe.

If its left to roam, its un loved in my book and I will take it.

Last edited:

Cheers
M

I consider myself a responsible person but if set a trap with few bottles of Grange, I'll get caught. :D

I see your point Michael and I appreciate your feedback.

But what happens is someones pet causes distress to someones sleeps at all hours of the morning? Lets take away for a minute the potential harm they may cause for our wildlife and concentrate on the the effects of a domestic or feral pet on someones property. Noise resulting in lack of sleep, defication caused by fighting and not to mention possible allergy probs.

Please Waterrat if you will, could you answer these questions.

Hypothetically speaking, if you found a neighbors cat in one of your averies with a couple of dead gtps, would you

A. Kill the animal on site as this is unacceptable?
B. Trap the animal and call the pound in a humane manner?
C. Track down the owner and show them the damage and price, grief that their pet has caused?
D. This will not happen as my enclousures are completely secure.

If you choose C, If there response is it only a few snakes, how would you react?
If you choose D, then well done, this topic is about responsible pet ownerhip and good on you.

At the end of the day if you dont accept responsibilities for your pets that can have or will result in other peoples issues and affect their wellbeing then you are not a responsible pet owner. I see that members get grilled for keeping gtps in setups that are not recomended by yourself. Same **** different smell wouldnt you think?

You know what they say... You cant smell the same **** on your knees.....

Peace all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back