Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there might be a lot of undiscovered morphs in private collections that the owner just isnt aware of. Some keepers might pass it of as a little unusual or might not notice at all. Even those interested in morphs might not realise what they have in their own collections as it might not be in your face obvious or it just doesnt conform to the already recognisable morphs like granites or zebras. I would not be surprised if we have had a mediocre zebra or 2 bred in oz and as it wasnt high yellow or not rp enough may have been over looked.
Just a thought but the possibility is there

Ok just did a bit of reading, and correct me if I'm wrong. Axanthic's are snakes that lack color pigmentation and as such black and white ???. Does that mean that most black and white jungles or carpet pythons are 'axanthic'. And what breeding combination to do with axathics would create a snow carpet python???. I recently saw a axanthic carpet python for $6000, sounds a bit like a scam???

Ok just did a bit of reading, and correct me if I'm wrong. Axanthic's are snakes that lack color pigmentation and as such black and white ???. Does that mean that most black and white jungles or carpet pythons are 'axanthic'. And what breeding combination to do with axathics would create a snow carpet python???. I recently saw a axanthic carpet python for $6000, sounds a bit like a scam???

Axanthic is reduced or lack of yellow pigment and while it could rationally be argued that anything lacking in yellow pigment is axanthic most breeders prefer to apply the term to something that is geneticly proven to carry the trait and therefore reproducable. . . like the $6000 one you mentioned

Black and white jungles are not classed as axanthic for a few reasons
One reason is there is generally yellow and brown pigmentation hiding under the black in most reptiles we know.
And most b&w jungles also have some element of brown or yellow to their white ness some more than others .
Also having an axanthic animal is one thing but for the mutation to be proven in a line of animals is another and it seems to be accepted and logical that you cant label a morph until the genetics are proven , up until a mutation is proven it is just that a mutation or freak occurrence .

"Axanthic" is a lack in Yellow pigmentation. Black and white jungles and Inlands are, black and white (or grey), but not genetic in a sense that the genes can be passed on like the albino (recessive) or the Jaguar (co-dominant) mutation.

The "Axanthic" carpet pythons that you saw for $6000 are most certainly not a scam. They are a proven simple recessive mutation that originated from Australia. (bred by Larks)

To create a snow, you need an Albino carpet (recessive) and an Axanthic carpet (recessive).
This will make double hets. When the double hets are put together, 1 in 16 of the clutch will be snows.

(Good luck Larks)

So there is not way to prove the lineage of the axanthics. So people could get ripped of if they are buying from an unknown breeder ?. I have seen some 'axanthics' that look like regular B&W jungles. I used to own a black and white coastal, with no brown in it at all, does that mean I was was able to reproduce hatches that were B&W that it would be an axanthtic?. I'm not arguing by the way I'm just querouse?

Ok I can understand now that not all B&W animals are axthantic (I'm typing the word wrong since I've said it so many times) :p

So another question, has this line been proven in Australia to create a snow carpet? Has anyone got a picture?

Last edited:
Hello everyone who loves this topic. Lol,

Larks has proven this line. Axanthic, he also has hets for albino which are axanthic. As I believe from posts.
someone else has a pair of these as they bought them off larks for a nice sum.
The snows will not be available for viewing for a couple of years but what it should produce is a totally white and pastel grey or pastel lilac banding, let's hope itall goes well for those envolved.

All of the morphs everyone speaks of would be a cross breed or an imported reptile as granites are irian jayas and zebras were first produced over seas.

If you want to make an albino morph like snows and sunglows you need to cross breed.

Like others I am very excited about the future of these morphs in this country and can only hope we have all of them for diversity in the industry.

I understand how all the genetics work in terms of dominant, co-dominant and recessive but what I don't understand is how breeders are ,meant to create these new morphs, not the ones with two different genes in it (such as snow) but things like creating a pied carpet python (which I believe is simple recessive?). I thought it was just down to luck hoping there’s a spontaneous mutation or even finding the morph in the wild (like albino carpet python)

I guess it would be possible to do some genetic engineering but other than that I see no way, therefore I can't see why people think pied carpets are going to start popping up.

At the risk of flame throwers and a firing squad, I have 2 coastals that were purchased for their striping and come from same pale drab colored parents and all sibs came out in similar tones. As they aged I noticed they were getting a bluish hue, one more of an aqua, 2 years later and they are still getting lighter with each shed. I showed them to a friend who had spent time working in the states with herps and he suggested they are anetheristic, I tend to agree. I will be breeding one with a Albino this year and the other to a normal coastal to establish if the trait is inheritable, naturally we will have to wait and see if it is dom, com or recessive if at all

Attachments

• IMG_9524 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_9524 - Copy.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 323
At the risk of flame throwers and a firing squad, I have 2 coastals that were purchased for their striping and come from same pale drab colored parents and all sibs came out in similar tones. As they aged I noticed they were getting a bluish hue, one more of an aqua, 2 years later and they are still getting lighter with each shed. I showed them to a friend who had spent time working in the states with herps and he suggested they are anetheristic, I tend to agree. I will be breeding one with a Albino this year and the other to a normal coastal to establish if the trait is inheritable, naturally we will have to wait and see if it is dom, com or recessive if at all

Interesting
Parents wernt from near Townsville originally by any chance??

Granites will be proven recessive this coming season and snows are 2 to 3 seasons away

Interesting

No, Brisbane and as far as I know it was an accidental pairing (bro and sis). . . they were just pets, she had the parents for years.

Interesting

Another interesting aspect is in different light they can be more green or blue but rarley do both display the same shade under the same condition. Pic is of the brother to the first one shown. . . he will be put with an Albino this season. The other one was originally lined up for the Hypo/calico ? but she has been loaned out for a very interesting project if we can get her up to size (she hasnt grown in 2 years but eats large meals (2M).

Attachments

• IMG_9695.JPG
    IMG_9695.JPG
    288 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Another 100 years I might have some more of these....

Blue-ish Pure Jungles and High yellow Jungles.....

fff-1.jpg

yellows.jpg

Axthantic Coastals... I dunno about these ones...

Are they not that colour generally anyway??

Just for you

First normal second possible anery (yes I understand diff monitors produce diff color resolutions)

Attachments

• IMG_9691.jpg
    IMG_9691.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_9695.JPG
    IMG_9695.JPG
    288 KB · Views: 179
So the difference is in the eyes is it??

I don't see much if any difference in anything else...

Sorry if I sound stupid, I just done see it.

If I breed my high yellow coastal, with another coastal, and they turn out some high yellows, and some normal coloured coastals, then bred the high yellow babies together, and get more high yellows...
should I call them
Athertonhighyellowsistic Coastals and up the price??

Last edited:
So the difference is in the eyes is it??

I don't see much if any difference in anything else...

Sorry if I sound stupid, I just done see it.

Mate thats cool, I had a friend come over the other day who loves blue tree snakes and he nearly fell over himself when he saw one of them. . . asking is that Carpet blue and my wife got a puzzuled look and said that a couple of people have said it but she just cant see it. And no matter what she really cant and it's her favourite.

hoping to get this meleninistic coastal up and breeding this season

Attachments

• IMG_8596.jpg
    IMG_8596.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_8587.jpg
    IMG_8587.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_8585.jpg
    IMG_8585.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_8580.jpg