Reptile Education.. What can i do????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to be educated so i can have a chance at producing the next big thing in the future

You claim you're not in it for the money, here's the thing though......

Would you still be interested in producing the "next big thing" if it had no pecuniary value what so ever..?

Don't worry, I took the liberty of answering that conundrum for you..

No.

Lol that's a classic waterrat.
Repofilmz TV, it depends on how old you are or how you went at school but I'm doing zoology at uni and finding it fantastic. It teaches you biology for all your morphs and evolution so you can understand the principles of why species are the way they are and at the end of it you can pretty much have your own zoo if you go far enough.

Bloody hell! Im 15. Only got my first ever snake few months ago and have fell in love with them & all im wanting to know is where i could learn more about them, So stop having a go at me because i dont know everything you know.

Check..... Mate

Beaten :(

Yeh i wouldnt mind producing it but it's not 1st on my to do list. Check..... Mate.

I now understand why all the questions, This kid has to be all of 13-14 maybe by the voice on the videos!

Now a little suggestion, Please take your time, study well at school,Get a real job, spend the next 5-10 years working on keeping the juveniles you have so they grow into nice healthy adults.
Then as a hobby have a play with a breeding attempt or two to see how you go.

What you want to do "now" is something that others have spent years developing/working on and cost many thousands of dollars to do so to get to where they are today.

Lol that's a classic waterrat.
Repofilmz TV, it depends on how old you are or how you went at school but I'm doing zoology at uni and finding it fantastic. It teaches you biology for all your morphs and evolution so you can understand the principles of why species are the way they are and at the end of it you can pretty much have your own zoo if you go far enough.

Thank you HEAPS discountreptile. That is the exact response i was after when starting this thread. What do you need to be able to do the Zoology at UNI? and does Herpetology focus on the same stuff just more on reptiles and amphibions? Thanks Aussie :D

I now understand why all the questions, This kid has to be all of 13-14 maybe by the voice on the videos!

Now a little suggestion, Please take your time, study well at school,Get a real job, spend the next 5-10 years working on keeping the juveniles you have so they grow into nice healthy adults.
Then as a hobby have a play with a breeding attempt or two to see how you go.

Thanks Mate will do :) i am 15 and turning 16 in a few weeks (videos are a bit old). & that is pretty much the plan. Thanks Aussie :)

What you want to do "now" is something that others have spent years developing/working on and cost many thousands of dollars to do so to get to where they are today.

Thanks Mate will do :) i am 15 and turning 16 in a few weeks (videos are a bit old). & that is pretty much the plan. Thanks Aussie :)

Last edited:
sorry but, goodluck in breeding the next big thing.
You probably have more chance of winning lotto than breeding the next big thing. Projects that are close are worth $10,000s of dollars
I'm pretty sure the original owner of the snake ranch albino Antaresia had a very small,common collection.

People are putting words into my mouth. Im NOT wanting to produce the next big thing. Im NOT wanting to breed and sell pythons.

And I would like to be educated so i can have a chance at producing the next big thing "in the future".
hmmmm people arnt putting words in your mouth , you can do that yourself , so your only 15 (suspected you where only young) just get a trade behind your self , then worry about starting a small business out of snake breeding still have alot to learn ( as do i but i dont plan on breeding the next bug thing or even attempting to breed for a few years yet )

TW, youre just egging him onto breeding snakes that he wont be able to look after. Perhaps he can interview you in his next youtube hit

Zoology is only at uni, so you need to finish yr12 and get a good score as a prerequisite. Otherwise you need at least a certificate 4 in some thing else.
Not all uni's have this course also so you will have to travel but it's worth it.
Ring some uni's and find the course your after and ask them what you need to do it.

TW, youre just egging him onto breeding snakes that he wont be able to look after. Perhaps he can interview you in his next youtube hit

:rolleyes: My point was that your statement about "the next big thing" costing 10's of thousands of dollars is completely incorrect.
Where exactly do you think the original morphs came from? I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure they didn't just appear :rolleyes:

Of course, but in all honesty do you think hes going to produce something different with a few snakes?

There is a TAFE course run by Martin Fingland in Brisbane on basic care of reptiles. It used to run every half year but TAFE has been making some changes so I don't know when the next one will run. I believe there are similar courses in Melbourne and Sydney. The Brisbane one is a night course that runs for approximately 15hrs and gives a good basic understanding of what you need to look after snakes and other reptiles.
A course like that is something you could look into for right now.

For the future, i would do biology in grade 11/12 (and maths B wouldn't hurt). Then there are several different uni courses which would get you want you want. Not many universities actually have courses just on reptiles but most will include a bit on animal biology/zoology, although Cairns uni used to have a course called Australian Reptiles. The degree you do would depend on what side of things you are most interested in so you just need to look around at all the degrees offered at different universities (usually done through the QTAC website). There are also TAFE course on animal husbandry which you could do instead of uni, but it depends on your situation what is most suited to you.

basically it comes down to doing your research, there are heaps of options out there, you just need to know where to look.

Bloody hell! Im 15.

Oh... in that case give it till after you have a girlfriend and realize how to use your penis and see how you feel about animals then. Trust me when I say the novelty can ware off quick smart when you have close to a hundred mouths to feed, clean and maintain and try to uphold a social life... And don't get me started on turning 18..

Where exactly do you think the original morphs came from? I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure they didn't just appear :rolleyes:

Ofcourse they do.

Last edited:
The zoology course is also available as distance learning and can be streamed to include a full module on reptiles now though i forget the company that is providing this.
Ignore the negativity you received but spend some years learning from not only others but from your animals and your mistakes. There is nothing wrong with having a dream but maybe not the best thing in the world to air it on a forum like this, keep your dream to yourself until you find someone you can trust and learn from.

Finally welcome to herping, our hobby needs passionate youngsters but dont be a typical Gen Y. When you ask a question think before you type and listen to the answer.

Don't know why but, the following video seems SOOO relevant! Haha, especially the bit at 0:34 seconds! Enjoy!

[video=youtube_share;tWe1oMok2wI]http://youtu.be/tWe1oMok2wI[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back